Rat Lake Trail

Rat Lake Trail is a 1.4 mile out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

Nice trail that was sometimes hard to follow, but I may have ventured off. Beautiful little lake. Many people camped right on the shore. I'd do it again.

Beautiful but rough drive, super short and easy trail. Good for people looking for a nice short hike. My husband is recovering from a knee replacement so it was a good hike to get him back out.

Lake is pretty but very murky. Definitely not for swimming. I can second the ant problem - they're rampant. If you get away from the shore a bit it does lessen and you could have a nice picnic.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Road to the trailhead was rough, may need a vehicle with good clearance. Lots of wasps and bugs when I went. I wasn't really a fan - trail not very interesting (mostly gravel road), short route to lake, and when I arrived there were so many ants I couldn't even stand still to take in the view without brushing them off my legs. Moved around the small lake in hopes of less ants but they seemed to be everywhere. In my hiking guide book I crossed out "rat" and changed it to "ant" lake.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Nice to take small children on a short hike. Lake is murky. A nice place for a picnic but many 4-wheelers passing by that interrupt the quiet from time-to-time.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Easy hike, the lake was beautiful, and an adventurous drive to the trail.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Pretty grody. Short hike to get to the lake. Water was brown and smelly in June, lots of debris, not good for swimming/wading. Maybe if you brought a boat it could be cool,

Thursday, August 07, 2014

GPS trail directions are off if you are coming from big sky or west Yellowstone. It takes you way up past swan creek and the trail ends. The lake is more like a mountain swamp.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

short hike on atv road to a lake

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

As mentioned, the road might be a little rough, but the hike and lake are worth the punishment! Extremely quiet during the week and some of the best fishing you'll find. Keep an eye out for eagles snatching a quick meal from the lake :-)

Friday, September 13, 2013

Thursday, July 18, 2013

the dirt road getting here was more of an adventure than the hike itself! gorgeous spot, only saw two groups of people the whole time we were there. very easy hike, trail wraps perimeter of lake, great scenery.