Rat Lake Trail is a 1.3 mile out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 200 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pretty easy hike but the road to get there is a little bit of an adventure. There is a faint trail that goes around the lake that adds almost an extra mile. The lake is still pretty murky but the views are pretty good. If you do decide to hike this trail be aware that atvs will also be on the trail.

Thu May 31 2018

Not that it was a bad little hike, but the lake wasn't too great. Myself and a couple friends camped overnight and we sunk our food in watertight bags into the lake and when we woke up leaches were attached....Not that we had planned on swimming but I would advise against it. There are plenty of hikes I'd go back to but I don't think this is one of them.

Sun Sep 24 2017

Pretty quick little hike!

Mon Sep 04 2017

Short hike to lake. I agree that the water was murky and ants are still everywhere. We were the only ones on the trail and at the lake. Not my favorite hike or lake in the area but still a nice quiet stroll.

Sun Nov 20 2016

Nice trail that was sometimes hard to follow, but I may have ventured off. Beautiful little lake. Many people camped right on the shore. I'd do it again.

Thu Aug 11 2016

Beautiful but rough drive, super short and easy trail. Good for people looking for a nice short hike. My husband is recovering from a knee replacement so it was a good hike to get him back out. Lake is pretty but very murky. Definitely not for swimming. I can second the ant problem - they're rampant. If you get away from the shore a bit it does lessen and you could have a nice picnic.

Sat Jul 09 2016

Road to the trailhead was rough, may need a vehicle with good clearance. Lots of wasps and bugs when I went. I wasn't really a fan - trail not very interesting (mostly gravel road), short route to lake, and when I arrived there were so many ants I couldn't even stand still to take in the view without brushing them off my legs. Moved around the small lake in hopes of less ants but they seemed to be everywhere. In my hiking guide book I crossed out "rat" and changed it to "ant" lake.

Fri Jun 24 2016

Nice to take small children on a short hike. Lake is murky. A nice place for a picnic but many 4-wheelers passing by that interrupt the quiet from time-to-time.

Wed Jul 22 2015

Easy hike, the lake was beautiful, and an adventurous drive to the trail.

Sun Jun 28 2015

Pretty grody. Short hike to get to the lake. Water was brown and smelly in June, lots of debris, not good for swimming/wading. Maybe if you brought a boat it could be cool,

Thu Aug 07 2014

GPS trail directions are off if you are coming from big sky or west Yellowstone. It takes you way up past swan creek and the trail ends. The lake is more like a mountain swamp.

Wed Jan 15 2014

short hike on atv road to a lake

Tue Jan 14 2014

As mentioned, the road might be a little rough, but the hike and lake are worth the punishment! Extremely quiet during the week and some of the best fishing you'll find. Keep an eye out for eagles snatching a quick meal from the lake :-)

Thu Jul 18 2013

the dirt road getting here was more of an adventure than the hike itself! gorgeous spot, only saw two groups of people the whole time we were there. very easy hike, trail wraps perimeter of lake, great scenery.

recorded Rat Lake Trail