Pine Creek Lake

Pine Creek Lake is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Livingston, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Best hike I've done to date. Not an easy one but worth it once you get to the top and your the only one up there. Above average hiking boots recommended. When the sun goes down, it's gets pretty cold up there!

Favorite hike in Montana. The lake is a true treasure at the end. Felt like Scotland.

Very steep but we'll worth it.

Definitely one of the best hikes I've done, with some incredible views throughout - with the very best being the lake! I would love to do this again as a backpacking trip, it would be awesome to have stayed at the lake longer than we did!

Amazing views. great hike.

It was a BEAUTIFUL hike!! But I will admit, my husband and I only went two-thirds of the way before turning back. I'm 6 months pregnant and this was his first mountain hike (the elevation in our hometown is only about 1100ft) and he was carrying all of our water and food for the day. It was pretty grueling with all the switchbacks and whatnot, but I think we could've made it if we really wanted to, even with me being 6 months pregnant and somewhat out of shape; we just would've felt pretty crappy by the end. So if you're not pregnant I'd say your chances are pretty solid! Just be ready for a serious calf workout. ;)

This review is a year late! This is a must do hike if you are ever in paradise valley. We did this up to the lake but snow and time kept us off the surrounding summits. I am from the east and we have high mountain lakes too but not at this scale. Truly an amazing place to behold after a nice workout to get there. Later in our trip we also hiked Emigrant Peak, no lake at the top but a feeling of being on top of the world worked for us :). Can't wait to get back to Montana some day.

Tried this trail in May, and still too much snow to reach the lake. The first 6-miles was great! Can't wait to get back and go all the way!!!

Pretty challenging hike. I'm surprised it's rated as "moderate." The lake as a goal for the ascent is appropriate as it's beautiful.

One of my favorite in the State for scenery and for a challenge.

Worth every step.

This hike was very challenging but extremely rewarding. Went with a group of 4 with various levels of hiking experience but all pretty fit and it took us about 4.5 hours to reach the upper lake. (We were not used to the altitude so it took awhile). The hike up is very steep, lots of switch backs but doable with some short breaks to take in the scenery. The lake at the top is truly breathtaking. Bring a fly rod up for some fishing in the little streams off of the main lake. A difficult hike with the elevation climb to say the least but absolutely worth it.

This is one of my favorite hikes to date. Very steep hike, what a work out! But wow, the lake is amazing at the top. Don't stop at the first small lake, go on up above it. We almost turned around. The views up there are absolutely amazing!!

This is an absolutely beautiful trail, but not for the faint of heart. I would rate it as hard, as it is 5.5 miles straight up, then 5.5 miles straight down. Even inch of it is worth it, though, especially once you've reached the top for a relaxing lunch by the serene lake. The first 3 miles or so have decent tree coverage. There is also one precarious creek crossing, made easier by crawling across a tree on all fours, having hiking poles to steady you on the trees, or by having waterproof shoes to forage across. This was a great hike, just be ready to be sore!

beautiful hike with amazing views at the top!

Absolutely stunning hike almost the entire way through. On 6/26 there was minimal snow, but the final lake itself was still about 75% covered in ice - open enough for fishing, though. The hike isn't difficult in the sense that their are any challenging features, but you are climbing about 4000 ft in 5 miles so it is a workout.