Piegan Pass Trail

Piegan Pass Trail is a 12.6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Essex, Montana that features a lake. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking, walking, and backpacking.

1984 feet
Point to Point

one of the best hikes in my life!!

Did this Beautiful hike yesterday! I would not rate it as a Difficult hike...it is however a longer one..took about 7 hours to go over the pass and end up over in Many Glacier. We stopped a few times just to take in the beauty, and eat of course. Would Highly reccomend to anyone to do the same. Just make sure you have enough time to catch the shuttle back or plan ahead and have two vehicles. I think I would do it a little earlier in the season next time...later July or early August just to see all the wild flowers in bloom. Still an amazing hike and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Did not see any bears but did come face on with a huge bull moose right off the trail near then end around Josephine Lake:)

this hike was fantastic. bonus points we were there to begin hike at 8 am and the trail was completely ours which contrasts greatly to highlune hikers. fantastic meadows keep you cool in shade for over half the 4.6 miles out. great views emerge on the last 2 miles which has you on a easy trek to see glaciers and snow pack up close. saw a big family of mountain goats. as you go a little past the piegan another awesome valley gives you another great valley and at the connection of the one valley to the next this great cooling breeze was again outstanding bonus points. saw people only when we turned to go back to siyeh bend where we started

I did piegan pass and siyeh pass in the same day. 14 miles total. Parked at Siyeh bend and started there. I highly recommend getting both hikes in this way. Views are incredible! I liked the piegan view a tiny bit more, but it's possible that's bc half of the view at Siyeh was blocked by forest fire smoke. Hike to Siyeh was significantly more challenging than the ascension to piegan. Thought they'd both be very hard, but that wasn't the case. This is a solid hike and I recommend it.

We stumbled upon this trail by accident. We were driving up the Going To The Sun Road when we came across Lunch Creek. We saw some people hanging out at the creek, so we thought we'd stop and eat lunch there (we didn't even realize that it was called Lunch Creek until after we'd eaten lunch lol!) There was a little path on the side so we started to ascend. Then, we saw a majestic waterfall in the distance. It was a steep climb, but we wanted to see the waterfall! We made it up there and dunked our heads in. It was amazing! Would not recommend for children. Our dogs did great. We turned around at the waterfall, but I would love to climb up the entirety of Piegan Pass one day. Based on the pictures I don't think this is the exact same trail as Piegan Pass, but when I looked up Lunch Creek I found out that this trail is one that climbers use to get to a spot where they can climb up there.

A few nice waterfalls. Trail is in good shape. Able to see mountain goats while using binoculars. Stay away from Siyeh Pass which connects the two. Not maintained at all, no decent views and takes you right thru Grizzly country with lots of berry bushes.

Nice trail. Go early as parking is limited at roadside. There is a shuttle stop though. We only met one couple on way up. Had trail to ourselves. Views are amazing especially when you go a little over the pass. There's a waterfall and brilliant blue glacier as well as a valley. Pack a lunch to enjoy as you take in the views. You'll have plenty of company. Marmots, squirrels, and chipmunks are all around. Did not see any goats, bears, or moose. Lots of wildflowers!! Did Highline Trail and would agree that this trail is right up there with it. Would advise good boots and poles. Have to cross two snow fields at a pretty good pitch and this time of year pretty slick. Trail once leaving woods is narrow and exposed with loose rock in places. Pitch is definitely doable for anyone in relatively good shape. Don't miss this one!!

My wife and I hiked 7/4/17 from Siyeh pass trailhead to Piegan Pass (10mi out and back) with my 2 year old daughter strapped to my back in a child carrier. We had hiking boots, trekking poles, and over 100mi of hiking experience and I would rate this a hard trail due to the unforgiving uphill ascent and 3 snowfields (the last one heading up was treacherous without gear).

Very diverse trail, definitely a top choice if the Highline trail is closed and is a close second. Alpine meadows, flowers, snow on trail in the summer, 5 creek crossings when there is snowmelt (via bridges), very good views above tree line of 2 valleys, make sure to cross the pass and go at least 100 yards down the next side to get the best view of the valley, and lots and lots of wildlife!

We did not see bears that day however this is prime bear country, make noise and carry spray! We did meet a family of mountain goats near the top. One surprised us by jumping over the ledge we were resting next to and seemed slightly aggressive toward our food. With some talking he scampered off which allowed us time to pack up and head out. He returned shortly later as we headed down we met a family of 5 goats on the narrow trail and they had no intention of moving. We had to squeeze past them within inches, one was above us on the cliff, the rest on the trail. Make sure to stay on the inside of the trail if you're in this situation. Lastly the marmots near the top are fantastic, one very curious one came close enough to smell us.

Some planning advice, if you have a water filtration system, plan to use it to reduce how much water you have to carry. The last creek going up is near Siyeh junction. Secondly, if you plan to make it to the pass, bring your Helinox chairs to relax with the views! It is very windy and chilly the final mile however there is a stone pile (looks like a makeshift shelter) on the top of the pass which is in an area with very little wind.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

One of the best hikes for views in my entire life. Outstanding.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

We hiked from Many up through the pass to the Sy Bend. Beware the vast majority of the ascent is in the 2 or 3 miles just before the pass itself. Also, make the short side trip to Grinnell Lake.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

We hiked in 3-miles. Took us 3.5 hours, up and back from Siyah Bend. That's with a break at the halfway point. We hiked another spot earlier in the day, so a clearing with an amazing mountain view was our halfway point. This is DEFINITELY grizzly country, so pack a whistle and bear mace. We saw several bear scat, but no bear. We were really loud so not much wildlife, except a lot of marmot and squirrel. This is a moderate climb, with a pretty good elevation gain. You start off next to a swift creek and then begin gaining elevation in a forested area. Watch for bears on the blind corners and over hills. Once you get out of the trees, that's where the views really get wonderful.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Monday, August 10, 2015

Incredible views and amazing wild life. ran into two grizzlys in the woods. suprised them and thank goodness they ran. There was a snow cave on the cliff and on our way back it collapsed. A deer was on the trail and it took some work to make him move so we could get by. At the top the view is incredible and a small lake is the strangest blue I have ever seen. Waterfall from glacier coming down thousands of feet. Amazing!!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Friday, August 02, 2013

Amazing hike. Keep driving down for. Logan's Pass towards St. Mary's campground and its between there. It's moderate difficulty but its very do-able. First you walk along a gorgeous river and then split into the woods for awhile. Then you'll come out into meadows filled with wildflowers. The hike leads you through the mountain but I always stop at the top before the trail goes through the mountains. This area is rocky and gives you an amazing view of the mountains and the park. Pack a good picnic for the top. There are no restrooms so use the one by the parking area before you start. I never encounter wildlife bigger than a marmot but you never know. Mountain goats, rams, deer, and bears live in this area.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Real nice hike gaining 1670 feet from Siyeh Bend on Going-to-the-Sun Road to Piegan Pass. First 2.7 miles thru meadows and forrest with the last 1.8 across the talus slopes of Cataract Mountain. The turnaround point is the high col of Piegan Pass with an option to contiue onward to Many Glacier Hotel or Baring Creek exit onto the highway at mile 40. Mountain goats frequently seen on slopes leading to the high col of Piegan Pass.