Our Lake From South Fork Teton Trailhead

moderate 51 reviews

Our Lake From South Fork Teton Trailhead is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Choteau, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,512 feet Route Type: Loop

I really enjoyed this hike. The waterfall and lake were stunning and the wildflowers were prolific. I got hit with 3 short afternoon thunderstorms on this hike which was cool to experience. The trail is in excellent condition. It steadily slopes upwards the entire way to the lake but it's doable for any hiker with average abilities. I think the moderate rating is fair. I only saw one other group of people on this hike. Took me just under 4 hours to complete.

The ride through Choteau is beautiful. There is a pullover (7 miles, I think) before the trail that has a toilet and picnic area. You can wait till you get to the trailhead though; they have a toilet there, and campgrounds along the river. The trail sign at the road was missing, but you’ll know you’re on the right trail about 5 minutes into it when you see signs bolted onto a tree. During the entire hike, I only passed one group (two awesome ladies and their four dogs). Just when you get to the point of telling yourself “don’t think, just do it”, the next bend stops you in your tracks with stunning beauty. The lake is a gem and most definitely worth the hike! I was lucky, had the entire lake to myself. I did one last glance around before settling in by the water, and three mountain goats were coming into the lake from the trail -moments behind me. The mom came to within 10 feet of me, didn’t even notice me until I said something. I love solo hikes, and moments like this all to yourself are flat out magical. It was one of my favorite experiences, and one of my top U.S. hikes. This is definitely a spot to take friends who visit from out of state! The moderate rating is accurate. During a hot day you can easily go through 2L of water just getting to the lake. I would recommend 3L so that you can spend more time at the lake (unless you have a filter). If you have knee issues, bring a trekking pole for the hike back. There is a portion that’s just gravel and it slopes, so a pole will help.

Waterfalls were beautiful. Try to hike up the saddle behind the lake if you can - quite a great view.

We hiked this trail on 7/16. I carried my 11 month old in a baby Bjorne carrier. Including me it was 3 adult women and my 14 yr old daughter and 11 year old nephew were along as well. It took us about 4 hours to complete. The sites were breathtaking. Took bear spray, stayed together, kept noise level up. Saw no bears and very little wildlife. Wildflowers were beautiful. Streams/waterfalls/snow patches closer to top. Oh there is a “toilet” at the top as well!

Moderate great trail-Picnic table and toilet ~3 miles up. Beautiful majestic lake at the end. Would recommend

We hiked this trail yesterday and it was absolutely breathtaking! I would do this is a heartbeat all over again.

Amazing views along the trail. Beautiful lake to celebrate the accent. Easy hike back down. We saw 2 goats up by the lake.

Just checked the trail. Still two feet of snow in the parking lot. It will be a while before use. FYI the Teton river road suffered some damage with the recent record rain, however is still passable. Fantastic hike when ever possible.

Thu Oct 25 2018

Beautiful hike on a 46 degree sunny day. Steady but manageable elevation for two sisters ages 63 & 71. Snow last 1/2 mile but easy to navigate. Saw 20 cedar waxwings about 1/2 way up!

Wed Sep 05 2018

it's a great hike went up the end of June and the trail is all clear of snow and also made it to the lake and also seen a deer on the trail going up the the lake. but when my dad and I made it to the lake there was still snow on the trail so couldn't get all the way around the lake but still a great hike I recommend the hike

Mon Jul 02 2018

Excellent hike. The lake was beautiful. Worth the trip.

Sun Jul 01 2018

the trail was great.the hike was great made it to the lake stayed up there Friday. hikes out today cause the weather was crappy but an awesome adventure recommend it

Sun Jul 01 2018

UPDATE: Just did this yesterday, as a trail run, and it's clear of snow -- even in the scree section that's often in a snowfield this time of year. Note that the recent flood washed out a bit of road just before the old Nature Conservancy ranch, and again just after Mill Falls. It's still passable, but drive w/caution. Have done this a few times over the years. Really a great trail, with loads of upside at the top. Lake is gorgeous; often with mountain goats roaming around. Challenging in tough conditions or with younger kids (but certainly doable for them!).

Mon Jun 18 2018

great hike, there were a few fallen trees but they weren't hard to go around. Only problem I had was the snow. Went hiking June 11, 2018 and it started snowing on us, plus there was still a good bit on the trail near the top. 2 spots of the snow on the trail were a bit dangerous/tricky. Later we would have gotten lost if it weren't for old footprints in the snow. We eventually did not make it to the lake because we lost the trail from the snow. If we were better dressed and there were trail markers the hike would have been better.

Wed Jun 13 2018

It was a awesome hike, I am a beginner and I would consider a moderate, the elevation was gradual with switchback inclines. I was wearing a 25lb pack and did well. We went up mid June and there was still snow at the higher elevations about half a mile from the lake. we didn't get all the way through the snow was hip high still. I am definitely planning on going back up later in the year.

Sun Aug 06 2017

My favorite lake hike that I have done so far. Really amazing views as you hike and at the top.

Mon Jun 26 2017

Great hike ... I need to remember to bring more water on these hot days

Tue Jun 20 2017

dose anyone know how the our lake trail is

Mon May 29 2017

Went in late May and the last mile was still snow covered and the lake was frozen. Hard to get to the top in the deep snow which made it impossible to find any real trail, but it was a fun challenge and we had a great time. Really beautiful.

Tue Apr 18 2017

Amazing Hike!!

Mon Aug 15 2016

Gorgeous!

Sun Jul 24 2016

Great trail. It's full of thick vegetation, but breaks open into rocky pathways with breathtaking views.

Sun Jul 17 2016

Awesome!

Tue Jun 28 2016

Amazing views and nicely maintained trail! The wildlife abounds as does the Rocky Mountain plant life our gps put it at 6.2 miles round trip

Sat Sep 26 2015

Been doing this family hike since I was 7. Love it. Moderate. Good for all ages. Beautiful lake, waterfall, alpine valleys with wildflowers, mountain goats. Everything you want in a Montana hike.

Fri Jul 24 2015

Flowers were beautiful the first week in July. We saw mountain goats playing at the lake.

Wed Jun 10 2015

Such a beautiful hike and the lake is an indescribable color! It's a moderate hike, lots of areas to climb once your at the lake if you choose to. We did see big horn sheep last time I was there and lots of bear grass!

Sun May 31 2015

Our Lake, near Choteau, Montana, is an amazing hike is most enjoyable - moderately strenuous. Need to take your time, enjoying the blossoming bear grass and other wild flowers. Stop-turn around, to look and the view behind you! Mountain Goats like to hang out at the lake and raise their young. Take a pack lunch, picnic at the top - beautiful.