Learn more

Oldman Lake via Pitamakan Pass Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(26)
Glacier National Park

Oldman Lake via Pitamakan Pass Trail is a 12.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Browning, Montana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 12.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,037 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

This was the longest hike I have done just over 19 miles including detours. Clouds in the sky kept rolling through. The passes on the west side was quite windy but it wasn’t too cold out so it was welcomed!

I can’t really give this trail a fair rating. We hiked the full loop on August 10, but caught it on a terrible weather day. Temps in the 50’s, scattered showers, and heavy fog. We didn’t get to experience any of the life-altering views on top on the mountain due to fog, and didn’t catch any wildlife larger than a squirrel. We did see a mama black bear and her cub crossing the road in front of our car on the drive out, so it wasn’t a total loss. I’d love to try this one again when the weather is more favorable. Total was 19 miles, including a couple small side trails to check out the lakes.

Amazing hike! It has just about everything you could want - Meadows, lakes, forests and peaks. At the beginning along the north shore of the lake there were tons of wild huckleberries, which were a delicious start to the morning. The path up Dawson is strenuous but so beautiful. There was a moose about 30 feet off of the trail near no name lake! Then once you get up out of the trees the experience gets truly incredible. for a few miles you're walking on a narrow ledge carved into maybe a 60 degree slope. It didn't feel unsafe, but it was a crazy place to be for so long. the views along the whole trail were great, but I could have sat looking at the snowcapped peaks across the valley on the backside for hours. It was very strenuous, as advertised, but most of the vertical is done once you're up Dawson, so I felt like I almost coasted the rest of the way. It took me almost 9 hours, but I stopped a lot and did the side paths to no name lake and old man lake to refill water. It was also great to be away from the crowds, but I saw maybe 10 other groups of people so I didn't feel completely isolated in case something happened. definitely give it a try if you're fit!

Tue Jun 18 2019

Fri Sep 14 2018

This was the last day of our 5 day backpack trip, we hiked from Oldman Lake to Two Medicine. Pretty much all downhill hike going from Oldman Lake out to the trailhead at Two Medicine. Pretty good views along the way but not as impressive as other parts of our trip. Didn't see any wildlife along the trail and it was fairly hot and smoky/hazy so views were somewhat obstructed. Probably should be a rated a little higher but kind of pales in comparison with other parts of the park.

Thu Aug 16 2018

it's a beautiful hike! it's pretty much a long gradual climb all the way there. there are lots of huckleberries and wild raspberries to snack on, but the bears like them too! we walked up on a huge grizzly snacking on them in one of the bigger berry patches 8/13/18

Thu Jun 22 2017

Made it in the middle of june. Trail without snow. But weather near the lake was awfull. Very beautifull trail. Not dificult becides the distance. Did not make it all, come back near the lake. It is not very popular but I dont know why. It was really amazing! My advise to do it!

Wed Jun 10 2015

Beautiful, watched a black bear graze. It's a moderate hike. We continued to Dawson Pass which is a must do!!

Tue Jul 02 2019