North Kootenai Lake Via Kootenai Creek Trail

North Kootenai Lake Via Kootenai Creek Trail is a 19.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stevensville, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful hike and great for the dogs!

Although we didnt make it to the falls (maybe half way there) it was beautiful along the way! definitely will be returning to finish

Decided to hike up to the lake and back in a day, and we defiantly bit off more than we could chew, but it is absolutely doable if you are in good shape and determined. Best for a 2-3 day outing. Good campsites along the way. Water from running streams and make is drinkable. Gorgeous views. Trail gets very hard to find at points after 6 miles. Several times it Crosses across streams or rock which can make it hard to follow.

Tried a different location and hike earlier today with my dog and ended up running from the mosquitos. I've been wanting to get to this hike for a long time and it was on my way back so we decided to stop and get a sneak peak. Did a really short hike, but was stopping often because of how beautiful it was. Found a few geocaches while we were here too. I'm excited that this trail may be my new favorite.

I did this a few years ago now. Beautiful hike although the end of the trail was not kept towards the end so to continue it needed some guessing to get to the lake. Also part of it was burnt which made it a little less scenic but should be growing back now.

Friday, December 09, 2016

It was a very cold day for a hike (9 degrees), but the trail was beautiful hiking in the snow. The snow depth is minimal, with a couple of stretches of ice that warrants using cleats to be safe. I would also suggest taking hiking poles to provide additional balance going down hills. I made it to where the trail ascends to the lakes before turning around. The frozen waterfalls along the creek were amazing!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Only hiked the first four miles. Nice creek with plenty of spots to chill. Nice views of the surrounding canyon. Ended up stopping where I could see a peak at the very end of the valley. Looking forward actually making it to the lake.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Easy trail, great scenery and fishing was great after the first 4 miles.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Nice easy meander through beautiful vistas and scapes.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Awesome spot!

Monday, September 14, 2015

Trail was great follows right on the water for the first 1.5 miles.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

It was a challenge with a full pack. Went during peak runoff season and the creek crossings were intense! Took some time. 10.5 hours to the center lake. Grand time all in all

Saturday, March 14, 2015

My favorite hike in the bitterroot!

Saturday, September 20, 2014

really enjoyed this hike. the creek was beautiful with plenty of sitting opportunities to enjoy the sounds and the rushing waters.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

one day im going to the lakes

Monday, May 19, 2014

Love this hike. Plenty of places to explore along the way.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

This a a great all around hike. It's good for hikers of all skills. Because it is an out and back hike you choose how long the hike is. Beautiful views of rushing water, cliff walls, and scenery. This hike is great any time from spring to fall. My favorite time to visit is right as the mountain snow is melting away, because the water is raging down the canyon!

Friday, October 21, 2011

I used to run this trail every day after work. The trail runs parallel to the creek. The echoes that bounce of the canyon walls are very invigorating. It is a great trail all year round. But, my favorite time to go is in late spring when the Mock Orange bloom along the canyon walls.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I love this hike! This is the trail I grew up on as a boy. It's a great moderate hike with lots of rock climbing possibilities.
A plus also is it can be visited almost year round!

Monday, February 13, 2017