North Circle

North Circle is a 49.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Babb, Montana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking.

Distance: 49.5 miles Elevation Gain: 10,731 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

A fee of $7/night/person is required for overnight camping.

11 minutes ago

You seriously rated 3 stars because the weather was bad and you weren’t prepared!?!?!?? So that makes the hike 3 star hike?!?!!?? Stop doing reviews. Period.

Though the permits are very difficult to get, it's worth the try. This is, to date, my favorite hike of my life! We did the hike counterclockwise. I highly recommend doing side trips along the main route (Iceberg Lake, take the social trail behind Mokowanis Lake to the waterfall dropping from Margaret Lake, Sue Lake Overlook, Ahern Pass). This hike has it all! It was packed with forests, lakes, wildlife (five moose this time around), waterfalls, flowers, epic mountain passes, and wonderful above treeline hiking along the Highline Trail. Do this hike! Here's my video of the loop hike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqz_btofWk

Did NCR Aug 24 to 29th 2019, Clockwise, so most scenic section is last. Rain one day, rest was sun. Warm days, cool/cold nights. Ideally would have done it 1st week in Sept. Very Crowded. Started at Logan pass via Highline trail to Granite Park., and finished via Swift Current at Granite Park Trailhead/The Loop. It is a great hike, stunning beautiful. A bit too tame for my tastes (ie JMT), not very challenging climbs up any mountains. Very hard to get permit. Beware of constant, random trail closings due to bears and fires.

It was very rainy and T-storms the first three days (we completed the loop in four days). There were many sections where the trail is overgrown and the one piece of gear we missed the most was a pair of rain pants. With the bushes and rain and no rain pants we had very wet feet almost the entire time. Rain coat and pack cover kept us dry and the campsites were very thoughtfully places to give quite a bit of protection from the wind. Be cautious with wildlife...they are VERY accustomed to humans and will let you get close...just remember these are still wild animals and give them space. Overall...an absolutely breathtaking hike that is well worth the extra traffic on the trail.

This was an extremely challenging hike. Having done it in mid July, we expected warmer weather. During the hike we experienced torrential downpours, extreme wind, snow, and hail. Unfortunately, we did not bring enough warm gear and none of our clothes stayed dry. The Elizabeth Lake camp was very nice, however, beware of the mosquitos! Stoney Indian and 50 mountain camps were our favorite. We didn’t complete the true northern circle due to the Granite camp being booked, so we left 50 mountain and came out at the loop of going to the sun road. I would recommend this hike, but I would highly recommend preparing for all weather conditions! The ascents are no joke, but the views are incredible! I think I would’ve rated this 4 or 5 stars if we would’ve had better weather!

Thu Aug 23 2018

One of the premiere backpacking loops in the US! This loop is tough with a lot of elevation gain, but the views make it totally worth the work. Here is a trip report I wrote describing the North Circle Loop in Glacier. It has a bunch of pictures of the trail, so hopefully its useful to someone! https://backpackers-review.com/trip-reports/glacier-north-circle-backpacking/

Sat Aug 04 2018

There is nothing more beautiful than this hike ! Its challenging but fun. Very few people. Make sure you have bear spray!

Thu Sep 13 2018