Norm Schoenthal Island Outer Loop

Norm Schoenthal Island Outer Loop is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Billings, Montana that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Norms Island has over two miles of trails and is a popular walking spot, with or without dogs. Flooded annually by the Yellowstone River in the Spring, the island is a good example of floodplain ecology.

Easy Trail. Great for kids.

Beautiful but there are so many dogs it is distracting and irritating to non dog walkers. There is so much dog feces I can only imagine how polluted the river is here.

I like it. Great views on the point, good Fishing access too.

Is this trail wheelchair accessible? It says it is on the homepage but I haven’t seen anything on the reviews . Thank you

Great place for walking your dog in winter.

easy trail. very good for dogs

Great for dogs and kids! The river is fun for dogs and it’s not too long that you can’t bring younger children. There is also an inner loop of you don’t want to go the whole way.

Nice easy trail, beautiful view of the Yellowstone River!

Great trail to ride bikes or walk with the whole family

Great trail for running and great for a family with youngsters. The dog enjoyed and took a dip in the river to cool off.

The trail was good. Unfortunately if traveling counterclockwise near the end of the trail is under water so we had to backtrack. Not the end of the world. However, the mosquitos were so bad we pretty much ran the entire way. So wear your repellent.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Dog to human ratio here is at least 2:1

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

love this place as much as my dog does!!!!! great walk and beautiful!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I've always like walking "the loop" at Norm's with friends. It's quiet and peaceful. My favorite time to go is in the winter. We bundle up, get lattes in town on the way, and enjoy our coffee and conversation while walking at a leisurely pace. The people we've encountered (mostly dog walkers) are friendly. Also, if you feel like doing more than the loop, to the left of the Norm's parking lot is a trail that takes you near Riverfront Park. It's really woodsy and beautiful, and then opens up to a path along the river.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

had a great time! did the whole loop with my 3 small children. the views were great and it's super close to billings! ♡ ♡ ♡

Monday, August 29, 2016

This is a fun little walk--well-maintained and marked gravel trails, pretty views of meadows and the river, and not a lot of bugs. We bring our dog here for off-leash training, and for the most part all of the other dogs we've run into have been well-mannered and friendly. Bags and trashcans are located at the start and at intervals along the trail so you can easily pick up after your dog.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Truly wonderful well marked trail! Dogs we met were very friendly...easy to get to river was refreshing for my dog! Expected mosquitoes but...some kind of fly after reading previous reviews ... saw 5/6 whitetail dear as a bonus!!! will make this our,regular walk!!!

Monday, June 20, 2016

This is a nice easy "hike" even our toddler can do.

Friday, May 06, 2016

Snakes, bugs and dog poo. Come on people pick up after your dogs. You are going to ruin it for us good people who clean up after their dog.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Very easy walking/ biking trail. Lots of dogs and people. there was a hint of "poo" smell every now and again from the dogs but I did notice some picking up after their pooch. In our 30 min walk, we likely saw 15-20 dogs in the 2 mile loop. All VERY well mannered. (the people were too)

Monday, June 22, 2015

Beautiful easy walk, even with a bad ankle.

Monday, June 08, 2015

A beautiful easy hike.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Nice hike if you have dogs and like to have them off leash. If you do not like dogs, I would not suggest this trail only because there are a lot of dogs that run around off leash. Only have had a few nasty dogs there.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Norm's is my daily mind-clearing walk with my dog. It's very dog friendly, so expect to see unleashed dogs on the trail.

The mosquitos can get bad in summer, so bring bug spray. Also, be careful with your pups when the water is high or there are ice shelves in winter as it can be dangerous.

There are plenty of birds to observe, from pelicans to eagles to heron to owls and everything in between. I've also seen deer and fox on occasion.

The island floods at certain times of the year, so it can be muddy. If the water is high when you get just past the bridge, you will be crossing water at some point.

Also, if you bring your pup, please, please pick up after him/her. Too many people "forget" or "don't see" their dog go and we need to all do our part to keep Norm's clean.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

This was a nice, easy walk on flat trails through the woods. We went about 8am this morning and there weren't too many people/dogs on the trails.......Watch out for the mosquitoes! We had some spray on but obviously we needed to douse in it because we were eaten alive on our walk.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Love this trail to take my dog to! If you aren't a dog lover, I wouldn't suggest this trail. The loop is flat and easy and a nice stroll through the woods. A stretch is located along the Yellowstone River with some pretty views.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Exactly what I needed today! Beautiful out and loved the trails! A few people here and there and the dogs were really well mannered not on leashes, minding their own business. A Billings Gem.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Not a bad place. Lots of mosquitoes. Great place for an early morning run.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

This trail is often too busy for me. Best time - daybreak! It does have a peaceful beauty to it in the early mornings of fall and winter. Very easy trail.