Mystic Lake via Bozeman Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(37)
Custer Gallatin National Forest

Mystic Lake via Bozeman Creek Trail is a 19.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 19.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,224 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bike touring

great doubletrack trail, there was a little bit of snow after about 6 miles. this created a muddy ride, but definitely rideable. snow should be clear by the end of the week.

icy

Stunning weather, full sun and a breeze too. Great trail and even though always many people and more dogs, it doesn’t feel crowded. But it is that time of year and there was a bear on the trail when I turned a corner. Medium to small size and when it saw me and I clapped it quickly ran up a steep bank and then turned around to look at me. So I took a picture of it. Not a great photo as bears don’t pose all that well. Ha!! Anyway, carry bear spray and when hiking alone and turning blind corners make some noise.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Great. Steep in places. But if you get to the opening of the lake go over the slope. Even better view and another lake w even more solitude. Fished there too. Lots of fish at the head waters.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Apr 7, Went to the Bozeman Creek Bridge. Too much snow afterwards. With the strong winds in the afternoon there were multiple dead trees crashing. Impressive. A few small ones feel on the trail between mu hike up and my return!! Very enjoyable.

Wed Oct 26 2016

This trail is filled with excellent views!!!

Sat Jul 09 2016

loved it. beautiful

Thu Aug 14 2014

I did this trail on my new new mountain bike. We absolutely loved it, it was not an easy climb to the top but totally worth it. Again, it was my first bike ride so it may be easy for some but it was fairly demanding for me.

Sat Oct 19 2013

Mystic lake is a great easy day hike. The lake is nice and peaceful and I saw a ton of wildlife when I went. There is a cabin you can reserve through the forest service if you don't like sleeping in a tent, otherwise there are some great camping spots around the lake if you want to spend the night. One word of caution though, the lake does have small leaches, so bare that in mind if you decide to go skinny dipping.

Sun May 26 2019