Mystic Lake Trail

Mystic Lake Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail. Great for taking our dog.

The reward is worth it when you get to the top. The last mile isn’t easy but it’s doable. Have appropriate shoes, I saw a handful of people with tennis shoes/ no support on and they’ll probably regret that. Took us a few mins past an hour to get to the top. Highly recommend starting before 9:00 am to beat the heat.

A nice hike with varying terrain that keeps one interested and focused. It's billed as an easy family hike and thus I saw lots of unprepared hikers in improper shoes, clothing and with small children. While it is a nice day hike, one should still come prepared and know there are some somewhat dangerous areas for littles or those without proper shoes.

Met lots of people and dogs. First mile is nice and easy with lots of huckleberries. Rocky trail for the last mile and a half, with lots of switchbacks. Lake is worth the hike- spend some time there.

Wonderful from the bottom all the way up. Can see why it's popular. That being said, don't expect to have the world to yourself in the least.

Went during a rainstorm in late September which made the trail a bit more difficult to maneuver but still a beautiful hike. The lake was freezing but that didn't stop us from getting in - would love to go again when the weather is nicer and spend a bit of time enjoying the lake.

it's a good steep trail, especially the last mile. Almost crawling at times, but manageable. view at the top is amazing. The water is nice and cold, excellent for soothing tired feet. Most of the trail is shaded, helping reduce sunburn. be prepared for the long dirt road to the trailhead. The road is not bad with only a few Rocky bits and wash board areas. great hike for plus size hikers looking for a challenge! bring plenty of water, rain gear for after noon showers and bear spray of course.

took my 65 year old father in law, and two 7 year olds, was awesome. Wear good shoes, lots of rocky trail parts.

Breath taking views! The hike to the lake is a constant incline. It is easy until about a mile in then it’s moderately/hard incline hike to the lake.
If I was out of shape, I could do this hike but it would be a struggle. I saw a lot of out of shape people who finished the hike.
This is a good practice hike for people who want to work up to moderate to hard backpacking.

Overnight trip with my 13 year old daughter. good hike but the trail was fairly busy in early July. The trails well maintained and plenty of places around the lake to pitch a tent.

The hike is fairly easy until you get to the rocky switchbacks. At least it’s a fairly short distance! The view from the top makes it all worth it! We walked down to the “beach” for lunch & to relax before heading back. It’s a wonderful day hike and “moderate” is an accurate rating.

awesome views, great sun/shade ratio the entire hike. still my favorite hike

This was an absolute amazing hike. It’s not exactly short and has a decent incline, so bring your lunch. There is a really awesome and big cascading waterfall along the way just off the trail. It’s big enough to feel the mist and goes for quite some time. I recommend checking that out. When you get to the lake, it’s breath taking. Also make sure you bring bear spray.

I never hike and this one I did. It was definitely a challenge, but pretty the whole way and doable. We carried our 2 yr old as well. There’s fishing and a good spot for a break at the lake before you turn around and go back.

Beautiful hike the whole way. Pretty easy/slow incline the whole way up. Only tough part would be navigating the rocky parts of the trail. Views at the top are incredible.

First time hiking this trail. Hiked The 4th of July. Very beautiful hike! There is a section that is nothing but rocks and boulders, but I was prepared with my hiking poles and made it through just fine. Once you get to the lake the view is breathtaking! I would do this trail again!

It is an ok hike with alright views. Too crowded. The hike was a bit of a challenge but nothing way too hard. Good for families!

Road to trailhead closed at Pinecove camping area (about 5 miles from trailhead) met a fellow hiker said rumor was the road would open again Memorial weekend.

We parked at campground and walked up to West Rosebud Lake, since we had driven out.

Awesome hike with great views up to the lake. The lake seemed kind of low at this point but there’s still plenty snow on the peaks.

First hike I’ve ever done and I loved it!!!

Pure beauty. The hike was hard for the first time for us, but the second was easier. The switchbacks are beautiful, yet tiring. Great for fishing. Highly recommend.

The way up was so beautiful this summer. Amazing wild flowers. The trail got a bit rocky up top, so I think I’ll have to get some ankle support boots for next time!

Always a good hike while in Montana!!!!

Beautiful hike! We were going to camp at island lakes but there was a snow crossing that didn't look safe so we turned around and camped at mystic. Spent two nights and explored the area and fished. Really enjoyed our time and look forward to going back. Had a few good afternoon mountain thunderstorms.

Gorgeous scenery! Very rocky trail, so makes it difficult to look around or hike fast, but otherwise spectacular!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Monday, August 07, 2017

Have done this hike several times and love it! We've taken all ages of kids along too, even as young as 4 or 5 yrs old. It's challenging on the way up for kids but totally worth it! I think it took us 2 hours with many water breaks. We eat lunch at the lake and spend time wading in the water.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Trail starts at the hydroelectric power station. As you hike up you'll see the water pipeline across the valley. The "lake" is actually a man-made reservoir, but as you come around the final corner, your jaw will drop. It looks like something from Lord of the Rings. Beautiful views and then hike down another half a mile or so to the beach. Incredible hike. We do it yearly.

Monday, July 31, 2017

I can't believe I've lived 70 miles from this trailhead for the last 20 plus years, and have never done this hike. This hike, and lake is amazing. Took us about an hour, and a half to get to lake, while stopping for photo ops, and to give our dogs drink breaks. So worth the drive, and hike. Can't wait to go back again, so we can walk further around the lake.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Love this hike. If you have time make sure you walk to island park lake just past mystic lake. Scenery is definitely worth the elevation gain