Learn more

Mystic Lake Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.5 mi Elevation gain 1,345 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (298)
Recordings (150)
Completed (622)
Danae O’Bryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingRocky

Hiked on 6/30/2020 with my husband and two pups. Fun altering terrain (woods, rocks, etc.). You’re along a river for a good part of it towards the bottom. We learned about the hydro plant and pipes running off of the mountain. Switched from rain to sun (to sun and rain) as weather in the mountains often does! Highly recommend. Fantastic views of Mystic Lake at the top.

Laura Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingRocky

Fun hike! Clambering over rocks at a few points. Wish we had hiked further!

View Laura's Recording
Kristy Sheikh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike! Took my 6 yo and we made it all the way to the lake. Trail was extremely rocky so be aware. Started raining at the top and rained off/on all the way down. Very windy at the top... about 45° at the top and was 50° at the trailhead.

View Kristy's Recording
Kirk Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

One of our favorite day hikes near Red Lodge. Make sure to wear good shoes, be ready for some steep, rocky hiking and bring the sunscreen for the climb... but also a windbreaker for the top.

Lisa Call
HikingBugsRocky

Beautiful views! The drive to get to the trail head was definitely worth it

View Lisa's Recording
Rusty Gackle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
View Rusty's Recording
Allison Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingRocky

Hiked on 6/20/2020. Great hike! Absolutely stunning scenery. You want solid shoes and there is a fair amount of walking over rocks, but I wouldn’t describe it as treacherous (at least without any snow, which there wasn’t this day). Definitely worth the effort!

Kelly M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

I visited on 6/11/2020 and there was very little snow. This was my first hike of Mystic and I was slightly concerned by a few other reviews using words like “treacherous.” I did not find anything treacherous about the hike, it was great. The scenery is absolutely stunning and it’s a great hike. The road out is bumpy as heck, washboard, so be prepared to be rattled for about 12 miles. Be prepared for 2 pm afternoon showers and pack a day pack with essentials. Great hike, highly recommended. Amazing Montana beauty.

Idari Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingRocky

What an awesome hike, the weather was nice a little windy here and there. We saw some big horn sheep and lots of wild flowers. The lake is beautiful and surrounded by snowy mountains. We did a day hike today, next time I would love to camp and hike further to the other lakes.

Jayde Wagner
HikingRocky

WOW! Let me tell you, I have hiked a lot over the years, this is my favorite. It starts out pretty easy, but the last half mile or so is a straight climb up. Rocky switchbacks and steep climbs but it’s so worth it. The view is the best in Montana, personally. This trail is why I hike. Great fishing, gorgeous waters. Definitely wear closed toe shoes and bring some flip flops or water shoes for the lake. I know a lot of people backpack this hike, but I did it as a day hike and camped in the campground below. This is my most memorable and favorite hike I’ve done and recommend to anyone.

Jennifer Fogerty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 16 2020
HikingBugsScramble

Very steep! Very rocky! Need good shoes and balance. Half of the climb (last half to the lake) is straight up, switchbacks, ROCKS. 100% worth it, but was glad I didn’t do this one as a backpacking trip with my dog. Went on Monday June 15, saw few other people. Windy at top, windy at lake. We found ticks on ourselves later-wear hats and do tick checks!

Shelby Lyons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 09 2020
View Shelby's Recording
Benjamin Edelman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 06 2020

I have hiked this trail 4 or 5 time s and I love it. best in July but good from May to October. be prepared for changing weather conditions an be clean. If you pack it in pack it out and please bury your potty!

Kari Lane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 01 2020
Hiking

Hike into Mystic is beautiful. Trail is in great shape and clear of snow and ice except for one small section which I’m sure is gone by now. We did a two-night backpack trip with Island Lake as the goal. Trail along Mystic is still a challenge with lots of snow but very doable with a little extra caution. Didn’t end up camping on Island because crossing the log jam was a bit daunting at this time of year. Lots of campsites at the far end of Mystic and with the lake being so low right now there was lots of exploring to be done. We pretty much had the entire place to ourselves Thursday night. Friday night a couple more groups came in. The hike out Saturday we passed a steady stream of people going up. Definitely a weekday trip if you like some peace and quiet.

matt vogel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 29 2020
HikingIcyRocky

Great hike through the wooded area, across both bridges and a little stream. Very easy to maneuver with a dog, 9yo girl and 11 yo boy. Once you get through the wooded area the hike across the rockslide is very well maintained. We hiked May 28th and there were a couple snow/ice banks partially covering the trail after the rockslide area. It was a little slower through the last part over the trail to the beautiful view of the lake. There was a very good picture spot right before the descent down to the lake. Overall 5/5 stars. Very little traffic on a Thursday.

Kristine K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
HikingIcyRockyScrambleSnow

Beautiful trail. But, TREACHEROUS this (2020) mid-May. Steep inclines with icy/snow packed narrow trail on a rock-faced mountain side, made for a more than difficult scramble up the trail. With an elevation gain of about 1200’ to a peak near 8000’; this trail at this time of year was not for faint of heart. Need GREAT shoes and recommend double hiking sticks. Wear bear bells, and take bear spray. You’ll also want a high energy snack and plenty of water. Potty house at trail head parking lot. there was plenty of icy cold creek water along lower portion of trail to splash and water the dog before and after the treacherous ascent. Saw Rocky Mountain sheep at the entrance. Never saw bear on this outing. Watched a marmot play on the outside wall of dam. Water was too low at the lake to see it in all its beauty. I MIGHT go again. The last half of the trail really got to me with the loose footing on a narrow path- staring at a fall straight down the rocky side of a mountain with no obstacles to stop a person once in motion.

Bryce Brinkman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Nov 10 2019
Hiking

Little rough with the snow but still very enjoyable! Half way to island lake the snow is about 1.5 ft deep but easily maneuverable!

View Bryce's Recording
Bryce Brinkman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 02 2019
HikingSnow

Still a good amount of people on the trail! It is still very accessible as of nov 2! Love doing this hike!

View Bryce's Recording
Alex Winchell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 20 2019
HikingRockySnow

This is a beautiful trail. Went Oct 19 which is the latest in the season I’ve gone. About halfway up the path is rocks and ice and I think reasonably risky in terms of slipping and falling and having a major injury. I wouldn’t do it again in those conditions. Visibility at the top overlooking the lake and dam was good but not perfect. Insanely windy once we cleared the pass to the overlook, we didn’t stay long before heading right back down.

Jem Pulver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Oct 18 2019
Hiking

Perfect trail for beginners. Not easy but not hard. Family and dog friendly. It was too foggy for us to see the lake when we finished. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Carla Cobb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Sep 18 2019
Hiking

Great conditions today. A little breezy at the top but otherwise perfect. We encountered only a few people when we headed out at 10 am on a Wednesday morning in the fall and only a cute marmot as far as wildlife.

Judy Reis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 16 2019
Hiking

What a beutiful hike!. We only saw a few people.

Jenny Jutz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 03 2019
Hiking

WARNING! Although rare, there IS a black bear on the Mystic trail. I was coming down from the Lake and the last 3/4 mile the bear was ON the trail. He/She was pretty occupied looking at the ground and didn’t see us right away but when it did, hipped very quickly over the other side of the creek. Once the bear got passed is, it came back over to our side to get back on the trail. This was only 3/4 mile from the trailhead! Ensure you are keeping your eyes open and bear spray cans readily available. Of this is the same bear as two weeks ago, she may have claimed this area and possibly hibernating and going to frequent it next year with babies - just my theory! The hike is absolutely worth it though.