Mount Brown Lookout Trail

Mount Brown Lookout Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Mount Brown Lookout is not a hike for the faint of heart. The trail branches off of the Sperry Chalet and Snyder Lake trail. The trail shoots straight up to an elevation gain of 4,315 feet. There are between 30-35 switchbacks. For the. Majority of the hike you will be immersed in heavy woods.

Tough hike, but well worth it in the end! The descent back to the Sperry trailhead is just as grueling as going up, so prepare your knees!

Be prepared for a steady climb right from the start. All vertical, very little rest from the incline even on switchbacks. This is an endurance hike.

View is amazing!

Definitly a steep one but well worth it! Awesome views even saw a mountain goat.

Brutal but worth it

What a feeling of accomplishment completing this hike! The views are tremendous and well worth the work. You will be sore. It will be worth it.

Still had some snow up at the top, but not enough to deter you from reaching the lookout.

Snowshoed up to the lookout March 26th. One of the most memorable and rewarding experiences I have ever had the opportunity to do. Went with a group of 4 and we passed about 3 others on the way up. If you have the opportunity, definitely make sure you do this hike. Cant wait to hike up again and see it in the summer!

1981

Saturday, August 20, 2016

This trail is an all-around ass kicker! If you like a challenge and are into feeling the pain for the gain do this hike! You will be happy with your view at the end as well as with the lookouts along the way once you've hiked an hour or two.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Sunday, July 31, 2016

This trail is a must if visiting the park. It took me 2 1/2 hours to make it to the top. I'm 21 and only took about 10 minutes worth of a break. For the average person I would give yourself 3-3 1/2 hours. I then gave myself a 30 minute break up top. The views are awesome up there. I uploaded some photos but they don't do the justice of what it feels like in person.

Monday, July 11, 2016

We did this hike the first week in April. The first couple miles were snowless, after that the snow got DEEP. We wore snowshoes for the last half. 1/2 mile from the top we lost the trail due to snow/no previous traffic. One of the most brutal hikes I've ever done, but the views were amazing. Coming down was an absolute blast. We pretty much skied on our snowshoes. Saved lots of time and stress on the knees.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Mount Brown was a beautiful hike, very steady uphill climb throughout but not technically difficult. I would recommend bringing hiking poles. The descend is especially hard on the knees. We are in your twenties and in slightly above average shape, it took us 3.5 hours to get up the trail and 2.5 hours to come down, with lots of short breaks. The view on the top is worth every struggle. Mountain goat sightings was just the cherry on top. There is a little bit of snow coming up to the lookout, and on the summit part, so prepare accordingly.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Friday, April 15, 2016

Hiked it over July 2015
Wow talk about a strugggggggggle. Nothing but up. Be prepared for a good time as you are challenged to the max. Enjoy the views to keep you clear of the abyss where you might begin to think you can't do it.
Incredibly quiet hike only saw a few people coming down and no one at the lookout while we rewarded ourselves with a beer.
I believe we started around 3pm and finished around 8pm.
Once done go and enjoy a burger by the lake at the lodge!!