Mount Aeneas Summit Trail

hard 88 reviews

Mount Aeneas Summit Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bigfork, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,781 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great hike with less crowds compared to similarly great hikes in Glacier. Not too hard but some steep parts. If you’re in decent shape you’re fine. Driving to the trailhead is a little bumpy but any car could make if you go slow. 4x drive is helpful but not necessary. We started the hike at Camp Misery and hit the summit and then back down around to Picnic Lakes trail onto Camp Misery. The loop was nice vs the out and back although it was longer.

One of my favs!!!! The view at the TOP is amazing!!!

The top of this mountain offers a breathtaking 360 degree view. Not super hard just a continuous climb but the payoff is SO worth it! Enjoy!

Excellent views and trail conditions. Took us 3 hours round trip.

One of the most beautiful views I’ve hiked to, incredible hike. Steep climb to the top but worth every minute. Highly recommend.

If you’re looking for a mountain to summit, one that is not too difficult, this is a good one. The first 2 miles have a steady elevation gain, it’s only the last mile or so that gets a bit more strenuous. Incredible 360 views at the summit! We were a bit surprised by the number of flies at the top, but we did hike in the afternoon hours. Saw a mountain goat at the summit too! My husband enjoyed picking huckleberries along the way.

Great trail with awesome views! Perfect for moderate hikers. Only strenuous part is the last little ways. We got to trail head at 3:20 and was back down at 6:45.

Loved this hike! The view is worth every challenging step up!

Great trail! It starts off very wide and easy but toward the end it gets much more strenuous with what feels like sheer cliffs on both sides. It was overcast when we went, so being in the clouds was a neat experience but we didn’t get to see many views although we got a few and on a clear day it would definitely be breathtaking. We looped around picnic lakes on the way back and definitely recommend that rather than doing the trail as an out and back.

10/10 recommend! It’s a little rough going up to the summit, but the views are worth it! I even saw a mountain goat up there. Don’t let the busy parking lot steer you away from a beautiful hike.

Incredible hike it does not disappoint, it test you a bit to get to the summit but you can handle it.

I recommend this trail for everyone who is in good hiking shape. Take your time and enjoy the views! My kids have hiked this with their grandpa when they were younger (6-11). If you take them be prepared with many snacks and water, and of course, it will be a full day. You can always turn around if it is too much for them. I took my son’s dog up with me yesterday and he was great, remember dogs should also be in shape before taking them up the trail. He was leashed as was the other dog we encountered on the hike. Have water for them also. If you go down the backside there is lake and creek water available for them to drink. One of my favorite hikes in the Bigfork area. We saw goats and squirrels on the hike, and rabbits and many beautiful birds during the drive up to the parking area and down the mountain.

my cousin took me on this trail on my visit to Big Fork. WOW! We saw a bunch of mountain goats and two little babies! awesome veiws in every direction!

Beautiful hike today to the summit. Probably should’ve chosen a day during the week, maybe less people. The parking area and all along the road were jam packed with cars so we had to park about 1/4 mile down the road. No biggie. There is one bathroom at the trailhead. A few mosquitoes but not enough to warrant bug spray. Bring lots of water, and poles for on the way down. This hike is good for almost everyone, as long as you are in decent shape. We saw many children on the trail today (although the parents were carrying many of them!). It is not too narrow or dangerous for the kids. Spectacular views (and a few mountain goats!) at the top. Lots of areas to sit and take it all in. No signs of bears or other wildlife but thoroughly enjoyed the goats! Many people brought their dogs along and (for the most part) all of them were leashed and well behaved. There was one dog off leash that chased a mountain goat and scared it to death. *sigh* ...there’s always one. Highly recommend MT Aeneus!

What spectacular views!! I highly recommend this hike. Not too strenuous, should be a very easy one for the seasoned hiker, which we are not, but did not find it difficult by any means. We wanted to do the loop and go by picnic lakes but had to turn around, snow still looked a bit deep and we didn't want to risk it.

Mon Oct 08 2018

Amazing fall hike!

Thu Sep 13 2018

Fantastic! Well worth the energy. Views are unbelievable.

Thu Sep 13 2018

This hike is absolutely breath taking. From the very beginning all the way to the summit. At the top you get to marvel at the 360 degree views including multiple lakes. You can continue over the summit to a trail that leads to the picnic lakes, but it looked too intense and narrow for this time around. I’m a beginner hiker so the incline was intense. Parts of this trail are just rock and another challenge are the switchbacks. But the summit was completely worth it. We took many breaks and kept on trekking. Next time I’d be more prepared with extra water, hiking boots and trekking poles. The road up to the Camp Misery trail head is no joke. Super narrow in some parts, long, super bumpy and parts where it’s your rig and a pretty intense drop to the left. There isn’t much parking up top of you choose to go up on a busy day.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Great hike! I was surprised to see the level of difficulty listed as “hard”. We went to the top without taking a break. Beautiful views. The summit was quite windy and cold; I wished I had brought another sweatshirt and a beanie!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Beautiful hike. It gets a bit windy toward the top but not too bad. Worth the hike.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Started on the trail around 10:30 and it was much colder than expected. Beautiful views all the way up. Once we reached the top where there is a lookout/microwave tower we thought we were done. Not so, you can continue on the “dangerous looking” ridge line. This is what takes you to the ultimate peak of Mt Aeneas. Fabulous 360• views. Our 10 year old had no problem on the ridge line trail. It looks scary, but once you get on the trail you can see it’s not that bad. Totally worth the extra time and energy!

Thu Aug 30 2018

This is my favorite hike in the valley, aside from some hikes in Glacier. Mount Aeneas is BEAUTIFUL. You can see the entirety of Flathead Lake, I’ve seen mountain goats every time I’ve been up there, and it’s not an overly difficult hike. Bring bear spray and a camera! I have always hiked it as an out-and-back hike, but if you do the loop you just continue down to picnic lakes and the trail takes you back to the camp misery parking lot (a different spot than where you started, but not far away at all).

Wed Aug 29 2018

My daughter and I hiked to the summit on August 21 as we were visiting from upstate NY. A great hike on a trail that gradually elevated. My daughter had no problem with this trail but I found myself breathing heavily and stopping every now and then, which was ok with me. The narrow upper portion of the trail appeared scary at first but I took my time and actually scampered across it on the return. We did not do the loop and returned the way we came. Views were a little smoky from all of the fire activity in the area and wind change but it was still really beautiful. I highly recommend you checking it out if you are in the area. People on the trail were very friendly.

Sun Aug 26 2018

The summit of Mt. Aeneas is just one of many, many beautiful destinations available from the Jewel Basin Trailhead, which is called Camp Misery. There are lots of other entries under various names for this and other hikes at Jewel Basin, but there are also lots of trails not included. You can do all kinds of loops including various lakes and high points. I did the middle portion of this hike as a loop. The final stretch to the summit of Mt. Aeneas looks daunting, but it is really not that hard and absolutely worth it. The trail is safer than it looks. Getting up to Jewel Basin was the most difficult part of the day. It's a 30 minute drive on a super dusty, kind of steep, narrow and busy dirt road. On an August Sunday afternoon it was like a Walmart parking lot at Camp Misery, with cars parked all the way down the road. Not surprising considering the beauty of the area. It's not a big deal if you are patient and considerate. There are so many trails available from the trailhead that once you get out on to the trails there are no crowds. I will definitely try to come back here sometime.

Sat Aug 25 2018

This was a great six mile out-and-back hike with just about as much elevation change as you’d want over three miles. It made the way up challenging but the way down easier on the knees. The last .5 miles along the ridge is spectacular and should not be skipped! And, the summit, if you walk just a bit further affords beautiful views of several other lakes. Also, we forgot our bear spray but weren’t too worried given how many other people we saw heading up and down the trail. No goats though today. :(

Sun Jul 29 2018

Did Mt. Aneus last week. Beautiful hike. Great climb to Mt peak. Had family of Mt goats in snow on descent to Picnic lakes. Did 1/2 mile on snow. Some over 3’ thick in late July. Wonderful day in Jewel Basin. Bring plenty of water though. Sun can be tough.