Mount Aeneas Summit Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bigfork, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing fall hike!

Fantastic! Well worth the energy. Views are unbelievable.

This hike is absolutely breath taking. From the very beginning all the way to the summit. At the top you get to marvel at the 360 degree views including multiple lakes. You can continue over the summit to a trail that leads to the picnic lakes, but it looked too intense and narrow for this time around.

I’m a beginner hiker so the incline was intense. Parts of this trail are just rock and another challenge are the switchbacks. But the summit was completely worth it. We took many breaks and kept on trekking. Next time I’d be more prepared with extra water, hiking boots and trekking poles.

The road up to the Camp Misery trail head is no joke. Super narrow in some parts, long, super bumpy and parts where it’s your rig and a pretty intense drop to the left. There isn’t much parking up top of you choose to go up on a busy day.

Great hike! I was surprised to see the level of difficulty listed as “hard”. We went to the top without taking a break. Beautiful views. The summit was quite windy and cold; I wished I had brought another sweatshirt and a beanie!

Beautiful hike. It gets a bit windy toward the top but not too bad. Worth the hike.

Started on the trail around 10:30 and it was much colder than expected.
Beautiful views all the way up. Once we reached the top where there is a lookout/microwave tower we thought we were done.
Not so, you can continue on the “dangerous looking” ridge line. This is what takes you to the ultimate peak of Mt Aeneas. Fabulous 360• views. Our 10 year old had no problem on the ridge line trail. It looks scary, but once you get on the trail you can see it’s not that bad. Totally worth the extra time and energy!

This is my favorite hike in the valley, aside from some hikes in Glacier. Mount Aeneas is BEAUTIFUL. You can see the entirety of Flathead Lake, I’ve seen mountain goats every time I’ve been up there, and it’s not an overly difficult hike. Bring bear spray and a camera!

It isn’t a loop, it’s out and back, but you can hike farther from the summit down to picnic lakes if you’d like.

My daughter and I hiked to the summit on August 21 as we were visiting from upstate NY. A great hike on a trail that gradually elevated. My daughter had no problem with this trail but I found myself breathing heavily and stopping every now and then, which was ok with me. The narrow upper portion of the trail appeared scary at first but I took my time and actually scampered across it on the return. We did not do the loop and returned the way we came. Views were a little smoky from all of the fire activity in the area and wind change but it was still really beautiful. I highly recommend you checking it out if you are in the area. People on the trail were very friendly.

The summit of Mt. Aeneas is just one of many, many beautiful destinations available from the Jewel Basin Trailhead, which is called Camp Misery. There are lots of other entries under various names for this and other hikes at Jewel Basin, but there are also lots of trails not included. You can do all kinds of loops including various lakes and high points. I did the middle portion of this hike as a loop. The final stretch to the summit of Mt. Aeneas looks daunting, but it is really not that hard and absolutely worth it. The trail is safer than it looks.

Getting up to Jewel Basin was the most difficult part of the day. It's a 30 minute drive on a super dusty, kind of steep, narrow and busy dirt road. On an August Sunday afternoon it was like a Walmart parking lot at Camp Misery, with cars parked all the way down the road. Not surprising considering the beauty of the area. It's not a big deal if you are patient and considerate. There are so many trails available from the trailhead that once you get out on to the trails there are no crowds. I will definitely try to come back here sometime.

This was a great six mile out-and-back hike with just about as much elevation change as you’d want over three miles. It made the way up challenging but the way down easier on the knees. The last .5 miles along the ridge is spectacular and should not be skipped! And, the summit, if you walk just a bit further affords beautiful views of several other lakes. Also, we forgot our bear spray but weren’t too worried given how many other people we saw heading up and down the trail. No goats though today. :(

Did Mt. Aneus last week. Beautiful hike. Great climb to Mt peak. Had family of Mt goats in snow on descent to Picnic lakes. Did 1/2 mile on snow. Some over 3’ thick in late July. Wonderful day in Jewel Basin. Bring plenty of water though. Sun can be tough.

nice to get out of the glacier crowds and see great views. kinda steep but enjoyed it . saw a few goats

This was a great hike and the summit is well worth the trip. The bugs were bad, especially when you were in the trees. Use spray and reapply often.
The mountain goats were beautiful. They want no part of you but they're seemingly very acclimated to people. Just give them the time they deserve and they will get out of the way.
As always...going down is worse than going up!

What a great trail! First off use the directions AllTrails gives u in order to get to the parking lot, we didn't at first and got lost. Secound it is like 7 miles of gravel and dust up steep hills to get to the parking lot. Then when u begin hiking I highly recomend taking trail 717 to the summit at Mt.Aetenas, we did this and then took 717 to 392 to 7 to 68 to 8 to get back to the parking lot. From the summit to the first snow field coming down the other side is very steep, technical and potentially dangerous, I would hate to slip. Then there is lots and lots and lots of snow coming down that way, no snow going up 717 to summit, so if u don't want to deal with walking and slideing through snow then I recomend taking 717 back down the same way you came up. We hiked on 7/16/18. I can't imagine trying to hike up the snow fields, it would probably be very difficult and take a long time. The views are spectacular no matter which way u come and go. Amazing views, goats, and lots and lots of bugs. We coated ourselves in bug spray before we left and then again at the summit, we snacked at the top snd were really trying not to accidently eat bugs.

Beautiful Views. The trail was pretty easy and straight forward. Saw a couple mountain goats near the top.

Last little bit was getting a bit strenuous but pretty amazing hike all the way up, especially the ridge walk at the end. Saw some goats up there but bring extra layers for the peak.

Amazing 360 degree views at the summit, well worth the hike!

Hiked this on 7/1/18 and it’s an absolutely gorgeous trail! Very steep and strenuous, but we got right up next to mountain goats, and the views were WELL worth the steep incline. Must do!!

Loved it. Views all the way up make it worthwhile . Went on a rainy cloudy day and couldn’t see anything up at the top once we were in the clouds. Lots of friendly people and dogs, most were kept on leashes. Multiple trails and ways you can take up to the top and on the way back down. Still lots of snow in some places. If you have the chance to do it definitely do !

I absolutely love this hike. Views are amazing!

Beautiful breathtaking views of Flathead valley and Hungry Horse Reservoir

Amazing scenery all the way up. Beginning of Trail can be confusing. The view from the top is worth every step. We passed quite a few little mountain goats.

This is by far my favorite hike in the flathead valley! There hasn’t been a time when I haven’t seen some form of wildlife (mountain goats, moose, etc.). Highly recommend!

Not as bad as I thought for a summit trail. It is a trek up but if you take your time you'll be fine.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

This hike is amazing ! We seen several goats, the wild flowers were amazing, and the views can't be beat. It's a HARD climb, so be prepared for that. the only bad part, was the flies !! We had bug spray on, and they seemed to love it ! The higher you get, the bigger the flies get and harder they bite !
I recommend going in the morning, so it's cooler while ur climbing. We didn't see any bears, but did see a few scat piles....so make sure you carry spray.
Have a great hike !

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

The trail doesn't get 'difficult' until the last mile or so. Even then, it wouldn't be horrible for an avid hiker. The wild flowers were beautiful and the trail wasn't all that busy. No wildlife except a few picas :)

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Stunning

Saturday, July 22, 2017

This trail was our warm up before heading to Glacier and BOY was it a warm up! I was worried that Glacier would be a letdown after hiking this trail. It wasn't but hey Id never been! We chose to continue the hike at the top of Mt. and do the full loop which I highly recommend. We were there July 10th and the upper trail was totally snow free although the loop down the backside was about 40% snow covered. Luckily another group had hiked it earlier and we found the trail relatively easy. So worth it! The loop takes you through several distinct terrains from denser forest to charming little mountain lakes. Great Hike!! One note, the road up to the trail head was long, dusty and because we weren't expecting it, a little freaky with the switchbacks, washboard road surface and precipitous drops with no guard rails. Used to it now though!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Normally I would rate this as a 5 because it is absolutely beautiful. However, today, the bugs, specifically flies were so bad that it took away from the experience. The minute you were still they were swarming you and it was super annoying. The only other downfall is the road to get to Camp Misery. It's washboard and dusty as can be. Besides that, this hike has some of the best views around, the wildflowers and bear grass are amazing and later in the season, there are a lot of huckleberries. Will still recommend it without a doubt!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

May not be fair to rate since we did not technically hike this. We drove to trailhead but it was still snow packed mid June! Beautiful drive up but we were clearly amateurs and became worried how we would even turn the car around in the snow.