Mount Oberlin Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(70)
Glacier National Park

Mount Oberlin Trail [CLOSED] is a 5.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Siyeh Bend, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 5.6 km Elevation Gain: 463 m Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. NOTE: This is not an official Glacier National Park trail. Hiking the trail is highly discouraged as it is not maintained by the National Parks Service.

Hiked this in the final week of June 2019. It was AMAZING! The rangers don’t “recognize” the trail as one of their own but if you ask them where to enter they will help. (May need to if there is lots of snow on the ground as it is hard to find the goat path.) Took the route through the saddle between clements and Oberlin. The other option, through the scree, wears on the mountain and is not recommended. Some scrambling at the top. Saw goats, big horned sheep, marmots, and lots of wildflowers.

As you leave the parking lot and head to the visitors center, take the ramp trail to the right, it will make a switchback, back to the left. At the top, turn onto the dirt trail to start the hike. You pass a series of beautiful waterfalls and work your way up to a ridge. You can see your destination the entire time. The top has some scree and is rocky. Would not recommend the top on a rainy or snowy day.

This hike is 100% worth it. We came across a brown bear on the lower level so make sure you have bear spray. The saddle at the top has some amazing views. We scrambled almost to the end but the trail became a bit ambiguous. If you have the confidence for more technical scramble go for it. Lots of big horned sheep.

Trail still good.

great hike. stay to the left and summit via the saddle not the straight shot.

Didn’t make the rock scramble to summit. Way too sketchy for inexperienced me

This was an awesome hike! Took me 1hr 25 minutes to get to the top. Met up with some cool people then headed down. Amazing views!

Wonderful hike that’s actually not on the Park proper recognized trails. The All Trails map took me directly to the trail head however there was a chain across, which prompted me to go in the Logan Pass visitor center to inquire if the trail was open or possibly closed due to bear activity. The park service employee informed me that Mount Oberlin Trail was “not a recognized park trail and was used by the locals”. I then asked if I could hike the trail and the attendant told me, “you may do the hike but it’s not our trail, so be careful!” So glad we went ahead and did this hike, it was obviously the path less taken, minus some of the normal grooming of other trails in the park. We were blessed with beautiful views back across the GTTSR toward the Highline Trail. As we worked our way to the top and within .5 miles from the end and encountered to really big mountain goat males that bounced and scooted down the trail toward us, stopping out hike at this point since these big fellas obviously didn’t want us going any further. We took a few pics prior to starting back down and saw 3-big horn sheep just 50 yards or so off the trail that acted as though we weren’t even in there world. Great photo op of the sheep prior to heading back to Logan Pass to catch the shuttle back to our lodging at Rising Sun! Highly recommend!

The views and wildlife sightings were fantastic, but I would not recommend it for those with a fear of heights (like me). This trail is not formally marked and involves a lot of scrambling and a difficult "hop" maneuver, making it more challenging than moderate in my opinion. Although I did make it to the summit, for others with a fear of heights I think it would still be worthwhile to stop at the saddle and turn around, skipping the last third or so which is steep and rocky. We did see a marmot, several bighorn sheep, and a few mountain goats on the trail.

Followed the route as people described on this site. When we got to the scramble/climb section it became quite challenging for this family of 6. Those who described it as class 3 were accurate. There were a few spots where ropes would have been nice. Snowed the night before so the rocks were slippery and the trail not always easy to find. Ended up turning back. On our return we ran into a group descending the scree. They said it was steeper but much better (no fear of falling) so we decided to try this route. Snow had melted by this time. Made it to the top and it was as amazing as everyone described. Would like to know why the scree route is not recommended.

Well I’m not going to say it was easy, but for this old man it was epic. The views, flowers, goats made it all worth while. I would say the moderate was the correct rating for this trail. As others have said, jump fence and go for it. Follow the carnes and you will be fine. Take your time and enjoy.

I loved this hike so much. It was the perfect way to start our glacier trip. If you’re in glacier, DO THIS HIKE. It’s totally worth it. Saw a herd of bighorn sheep and a few mountain goats. Not many people, the trail wasn’t crowded at all. It gets pretty technical near the top and there’s a good deal of scrambling and climbing up and around ledges so that was a bit tricky. But still worth it. Easy to lose the trail going back down from the top so keep an eye on your map. 10/10 would do again. The views were spectacular from the top (and all along the way).

Crazy! Beautiful 360 degree view if you venture all the way to the top

Moderate my a$$. (Or maybe we took the hard way up? We just hit the rocks and started climbing, hit the summit in under an hour.) Tons of scrambling in the last third, some down-climbing, lots of loose rocks and solid elevation gain for such a short trail. We came down the short-but-steep way and basically skiied down skree for about a mile before bisecting the original trail. This was a beauty but unless I’m missing something, not for the faint of heart.

Awesome quick summit! Took us an 1.15 hours to reach the top. Use the map from the visitor center to follow the correct path. Follow the well-defined trail to the creek, cross and stay right of the creek. The trail continues to the right into trees then switchbacks towards a large rock bench where the trail then climbs to the ridge. The trail goes right along the ridge And then follow the cairns to scramble to the summit. Very fun scramble! GNP asks climbers not to descend the obvious trail down the scree slope on the front face of the mountain but to take the same path back. Amazing 360 views of the park. You can see the Highline Trail from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet. Loved it. Will definitely do this again and again!

Trail is definetely "hard", not moderate. It's easy right up until it's very much not! That's about 1.25 miles in when you have to start climbing. We turned back as the consequences of a mistake were very high and we had a 4 year old with us. Gorgeous hike up to that point though. As stated in the last review you do have to step over the fence but I asked a ranger and he said it's fine, the trail is open, it's just generally a climbers trail. Was great to go on a hike that wasn't a line of people. Would definitely recommend, even if you just want to go a mile up and sit next to a beautiful waterfall. Good luck finding parking though!!!

Honestly An amazing trail. You have to hop a fence to get to the start, but it’s amazing. We saw 1 grizzly (from 250m away) and two bighorns.