Mission Reservior

Mission Reservior is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saint Ignatius, Montana that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 718 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The permit to hike here for a MT non-reservation is $23 annual or $19 for a 3 day. I bought mine at the cenex in St Ignatius. Nice hike this.

Always hard to get accurate info when hiking on the rez, and this trail followed suit. As of 5/11/19, the road to the trailhead is full of big potholes. I got my Honda Pilot through without issues, and the smallest car I saw parked at the trailhead was a Honda CRV. A big section of steep snow blocked us getting to the very end of the trail, but we were able to take a picture by the falls. My GPS watch tracked the one-way distance as closer to 2.7 miles to where we had to stop. The elevation gain listed here is totally off. It was closer to 1,300 feet total, most of which was in the last .8 miles going up. We hiked with our 16 month-old in a hiking backpack, and that was rather dicey on the way down. I had to slide on my butt in a few spots, and it was so steep that I had a hard time making it a controlled slide. I would not try this trail with young kids. There were some shady sections, but we got more sun than we planned on. If it's a hot day, this will be a toasty trail. The views were beautiful, but be prepared for that long steep section and great elevation gain than this site mentions.

Friday, September 07, 2018

I drove up to trail head past the resevoir. Started to hike but realized I didn’t have bear spray so turned around. Has anyone run into wildlife? Also is it 3.6 miles round trip or one way. One guy said it was 7 miles round trip. Thanks The creek was gorgeous.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Nice trail! First 2/3rds of the way the trail winds itself slowly up through the woods, then it gets very steep and we had to scramble over rocks in places. Not a trail to do when it rains, would be very slippery and treacherous. Had to dodge a big wasp nest hanging low on a limb over the trail we had seen it in time but my husband still got stung 3xtimes. The waterfall is beautiful!

Monday, August 13, 2018

Make sure to get a permit first, as mentioned by other posters. Think it’s a little longer than indicated, GPS on both me and my hiking partner measured about a 7 mile round trip. As others have said, last bit is very steep and narrow in some parts. Road leading to trail head was very rough, lots of pot holes. Oh, and did encounter a wasp nest over the trail at one point.

Friday, July 27, 2018

Awesome view at the falls. Definitely worth the hike! But from experience I would keep you dog on a leash the entire time while at the falls. My dog decided to go into the pools above the falls and as I was trying to save her I went off the falls myself falling 60ft down on 7/20/18. Be careful on the slippery rocks and algae. But a wondering hike that I would recommend to anyone.

Monday, May 07, 2018

This is one of the best hikes I've been on. The reservoir is a beautiful spot to picnic, camp or fish - which I didn't do, but if I had more time I certainly would have! The views are stunning. There are points along the trail where you can venture out to take in the expanse of glacier-like cliffs and forrest surrounding you from all sides. Totally breathtaking. I recommend driving an SVU to the trailhead as the road along the reservoir is unpaved with large, muddy dips in a few areas.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Need 4wheel drive to get up to trailhead. So beautiful and the water is so clear. Went Apr and still lots of snow.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hiking to falls is not for little kids, the trail is narrow with some spots of no return. Falls are outstanding!! A must do for a nice afternoon with a beautiful destination.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

So this hike was absolutely amazing. To start off you need to get a permit to recreate on tribal lands. 13 dollars for a three day permit if your from out of state. You can get it from the gas station just down the road. The stats for this hike are wrong I believe, it gets very steep and is almost to the point where you have to crawl up. Definitely worth it though. Really amazing views

Saturday, May 13, 2017

not sure of the statistics for this trail only go to that campground that's trail side, but this trail elevates hundreds of feet and quickly. but it's well worth the effort and a great way to get some beautiful delicious and crisp water straight from the source. the second falls has a great out cropping with a fantastic view out of the valley. If you're in decent shape and not too afraid of heights definitely hike this trail a priority. Make sure you bring bear spray, i saw a 1 or 2 year old grizzly at the trail fork near the top.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Hands down one of the most beautiful hikes I've done in Montana. It's got 2 waterfalls, a ton of green (late April) and it's pretty short. The last 3/4 mi is steep but the second waterfall is more than worth it. At the fork, you can also go left up to a little overlook or presumably to the top of the mountain. It's a nearly vertical climb though so be ready for that.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Certainly was not an elevation gain of 39 feet, after the first 1.9 miles or so it goes just about straight up to the top of the Falls. Definitely worth the hike, the view was gorgeous.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Amazing hike. Some steep terrain to be prepared. Worth the climb.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Awesome and worth it take it slow and take water and have good hiking boots as some parts of the trail are crawl up steep

Friday, August 10, 2018