Lucifer Lake

Lucifer Lake is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near St Ignatius, Montana that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Brutal hike up steep terrain, some rock climbing, few stream crossings, amazing waterfalls and the lake at the top is full of fish.

Definitely a butt kicking all the way up and down the mountain; even coming down is hard on the legs but the lake is magnificent and worth the trek. Mission Falls is an awesome stop along the way. We put markers along the trail where it disappears and it is easy to get lost due to downed trees,
so hopefully that helps others wanting to not have to find their way off the beaten path. We tried to get to Picture Lake but lost some time when we lost the trail on the way up and decided to head back down... but not before we dipped in the beautiful FREEZING water.

It's an ass kicker but goes by quick. Trails can be hard to find past the falls. Sometimes you swear that the near vertical path coming straight down couldn't possibly be the trail but it is. On the descent don't be afraid to use your hands to slow down or you'll probably end up using your face. Don't let this post scare you from going it's totally doable just be sure to go at your own pace... Unless being chased by a bear then let him set the pace

My buddies and I spent a weekend at Lucifer Lake and loved it. The hike up was no joke. Trekking poles are your friends.

A friend and I hiked up to Picture Lake from Lucifer and had a really hard time keeping to the trail (as if trails are a thing there), so on the way back I mapped it out using GPS. We wasted hours heading up, which cut off our goal of hitting the top of the Garden Wall. I don't want that to happen to you.

Below is the map in Google Maps, but I pasted the individual waypoints in to the description as well. There's a lot of walking along fallen trees and whacking through chest high laurel.

This was amazing & almost killed me. worth it!

crazy ass trail but hella worth it.!!!!