Lower Lake Fork Trail to September Mom Lake

Lower Lake Fork Trail to September Mom Lake is a 13.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

What a beautiful trail! We hit the trailhead around 8:00 am on an unusually cool and clear August morning and enjoyed breathtaking views on the way up to Broadwater Lake. My MapMyRun app measured 3.9 miles in. We decided to explore Lost Lake which added another 2-3 miles and two hours to our hike. The clouds formed around us and we saw limited views due to the rolling fog. But it is a beautiful lake with two small islands. We had a few stream crossings over logs or large rocks. Watch for a few waterfalls. All total, MapMyRun measured 11.5 miles in about 5 hours, not counting stops. I really appreciate how the AllTrails app allows you to see where you are on the trail even without the Internet. Very useful when trying to find Lost Lake!

I searched day hikes around Red Lodge and this one came up. I didn't plan on it being as great as it was. We didn't prepare for rough terrain so it being easy worked out. Besides it being very scenic we also saw a couple moose. It's busy with dogs and family's which I think is great. Perfect day hike.

Love this trail. Scenery is great. Stream has trout begging to be caught. Elevation gain is slow so the hiking is easy.

Easy, meandering trail that follows the river with gorgeous views of the mountains. Go in at least 3.7 miles to the meadow and "lake."

Very nice hike. We hiked to Lost lake( 11 miles r/t, 2.5 hours in, 2 hours out, 1500 ft vertical). Roaring stream with wild flowers. There were about a dozen people on trail with a couple horses. Well worth the doing.

We hiked 4 miles in - nice trail and beautiful scenery. Passed some horses - and lots of other hikers. Can see the river for most of the hike.

Memorial Day weekend us a little too early for this hike. Plenty of snow... and beauty.

Oh my goodness, do not do this hike in the winter it is bruutaalll. My legs are in pain. Otherwise it is a absolutely beautiful hike.

Me and my wife took our daughter there and it was beautiful nice easy hike a lot of fun will definitely be doing it again

Great trail on a nice warm fall day! Even got to see a moose and her calf.

Beautiful fall day hike!!

Nice Saturday hike. Lots of people. Beautiful white water streams. Did 8.5 mile hike (out and back).

Lost Lake is one of my personal favorite places in Montana. This hike is easy but is a 10 mile round trip. Very little elevation change and not that challenging. Beware of wildlife as I had a angry cow moose chase me once and stories of hungry black bears going through parking lot cars.

Monday, August 08, 2016

So fun, saw a bear and a moose! The trail was easy to follow, some blind sports around corners. Just be aware of your surroundings and what they post on the bulletin boards.

Monday, August 08, 2016