Lower Lake Fork Trail to September Mom Lake

Lower Lake Fork Trail to September Mom Lake is a 13.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

What a beautiful trail! We hit the trailhead around 8:00 am on an unusually cool and clear August morning and enjoyed breathtaking views on the way up to Broadwater Lake. My MapMyRun app measured 3.9 miles in. We decided to explore Lost Lake which added another 2-3 miles and two hours to our hike. The clouds formed around us and we saw limited views due to the rolling fog. But it is a beautiful lake with two small islands. We had a few stream crossings over logs or large rocks. Watch for a few waterfalls. All total, MapMyRun measured 11.5 miles in about 5 hours, not counting stops. I really appreciate how the AllTrails app allows you to see where you are on the trail even without the Internet. Very useful when trying to find Lost Lake!

I searched day hikes around Red Lodge and this one came up. I didn't plan on it being as great as it was. We didn't prepare for rough terrain so it being easy worked out. Besides it being very scenic we also saw a couple moose. It's busy with dogs and family's which I think is great. Perfect day hike.

Love this trail. Scenery is great. Stream has trout begging to be caught. Elevation gain is slow so the hiking is easy.

Easy, meandering trail that follows the river with gorgeous views of the mountains. Go in at least 3.7 miles to the meadow and "lake."

Very nice hike. We hiked to Lost lake( 11 miles r/t, 2.5 hours in, 2 hours out, 1500 ft vertical). Roaring stream with wild flowers. There were about a dozen people on trail with a couple horses. Well worth the doing.

We hiked 4 miles in - nice trail and beautiful scenery. Passed some horses - and lots of other hikers. Can see the river for most of the hike.

Memorial Day weekend us a little too early for this hike. Plenty of snow... and beauty.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Oh my goodness, do not do this hike in the winter it is bruutaalll. My legs are in pain. Otherwise it is a absolutely beautiful hike.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Me and my wife took our daughter there and it was beautiful nice easy hike a lot of fun will definitely be doing it again

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Great trail on a nice warm fall day! Even got to see a moose and her calf.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful fall day hike!!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Nice Saturday hike. Lots of people. Beautiful white water streams. Did 8.5 mile hike (out and back).

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Lost Lake is one of my personal favorite places in Montana. This hike is easy but is a 10 mile round trip. Very little elevation change and not that challenging. Beware of wildlife as I had a angry cow moose chase me once and stories of hungry black bears going through parking lot cars.

Monday, August 08, 2016

So fun, saw a bear and a moose! The trail was easy to follow, some blind sports around corners. Just be aware of your surroundings and what they post on the bulletin boards.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Beautiful morning hike! The water was beautiful, and finding the waterfalls on the mountains was a fantastic surprise and became a great scavenger hunt. Broadwater lake was 3.5 in and 3.5 back out.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Broadwater is a great hike with kids. My favorite spot is further up at Kaiser Brown. If you time it right the wild flowers are amazing. By far one of my favorite trails!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Easy day hike. Beautiful trail of you want to go to the mountains for a couple hours. Following the creek the whole way. I've seen a moose and a coyote on this trail on separate occasions.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Hiked to Broadwater 3/6/16 and then the trail disappeared under the snow. The weather was beautiful so we only needed shirt and jeans. On the way back, near the trailhead along the creek, was saw bear track. Be sure to keep your bear spray ready if your in the area! This has to be one of my favorite hikes.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Nice and easy trail that follows the Lake Fork of Rock Creek. Not sure where the 2.9 miles comes from as it is about 5 miles from the trailhead to Lost Lake. Family friendly, it climbs about 1300 feet in those five miles. The road to the trailhead is closed in the winter, but you can either walk up the road or follow the trail from just off Route 212 at the Lion's Club Camp.

We did this last Saturday (Feb. 27) and much of the trail was covered in snow, but easy to follow. It snowed off and on most of the down, at times pretty heavy, so come prepared if you plan a winter hike. A nice fix for cabin fever; definitely worth the effort.

Friday, October 30, 2015

The trail was awesome. On a scale of 1-10 we'd give it an 8. I think the draw back was that the trail was also used for horses and there's a lot of evidence of that along the entire trail. You walk along the river/creek most of the way so you get to hear the water a lot. You wind around a mountain and as you go, the views of other mountains are astonishing. There isn't much privacy because the trail is fairly busy. The trail-head said that it's 5 miles to the lake and we didn't make it that far. We made it to the bend in the river that is a little wider, that's considered Broadwater Lake. The trip took us around 4.5 hours round trip, and we stopped to enjoy the view many times along the way.