Lost Lake Trail

Lost Lake Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,325 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Finally got to make it all the way to the lake (have had to turn back previously for a variety of reasons) and absolutely loved he hike and it was worth every step! Didn’t want to leave. Was envious of the people who backpacked in and were spending days there. there was a moose and saw another one on opposite side so take precautions especially with dogs.

I have both hiked it and rode horses to this lake. It is a very Rocky ride, but not steep. Beautiful place to go. September 1, 2019.

the left turn to the lake is not marked.

This hike actually turns out to be a little over 11 miles round trip. It’s 4.9 miles to the turning point and then .5 miles to the lake. Definitely worth it though, the lake is stunning!!

I definite must if you are in the area. One of my favorite hikes. Beautiful the entire route. And Lost Lake is something worth getting to. Of note-don’t follow the route that AllTrails shows towards the very end unless you want a challenge. You don’t have to break off the obvious trail-it switchbacks to the lake.

So I set off on this trail in the morning with the intention of hitting up this lake, then a few others farther down the trail. The hike was super easy and the lake was absolutely gorgeous, plus there was no one around so that earned bonus points with me. On the way back down the trail, my dogs started alerting to something, but I didn’t see or hear anything so we pressed on. Maybe 50 yards later, a big freakin moose comes running out of the forest at full speed and charges us, and starts trying to stomp on my dogs. I wasn’t about to just let that big-nose bitch jump my dogs like that without backing them up, so I did the first thing I could think of and started bitch-slapping the hell out of that moose like Rick James slapping Charley Murphy in that one Chapelle’s Show skit. After a couple good whacks the moose retreated back into the forest about 10 yards and then stopped. I stood there for a moment waiting to see if that motherfucker was going to come back for round two, and took this shitty shaky pic of it cause like, “pics or it didn’t happen” ya know? Luckily, that coward ass moose ended up walking away after a couple minutes and I was pretty tired by now cause it turns out walloping on a moose is exhausting, so we turned around went back to the car. Anyway, my dogs are fine, the lake was beautiful, and now I can tell my future grandkids that I fought a moose once, so I’m giving this trail 5/5 stars. Highly recommend it.

I am not sure where the app people get their data but as someone mentioned previously the distance is incorrect as given (9.8 miles round trip) according to my Garmin GPS the round trip distance is 11.2 miles up and back to Lost lake. Also, someone took the sign to tell you where to turn off the main trail to go to the lake. The park service either does not have funds to replace it or have not got around to it. Best I can tell the 9.2 distance must be a direct to the way “the crow flies” once you get to where someone made a pile of rocks there is a dim trail to your left or south. The trail winds and eventually you see a beautiful small lake. I estimate the walk from the main trail is 300 yds. Possibly a little more. Any this is a nice relatively easy hike if you are in shape. Otherwise that last mile up is a killer.

The Lost Lake makes a spectacular finish to this trail. Watch out - the lake is at the end of a side trail at +/- 5 miles in that is not marked. A small rock cairn is your only heads up.

11.8 Actual miles on my Garmin GPS to Lost Lake and back. Beautiful trail near a rushing river nearly the whole way. Lost Lake is a good place for lunch or overnight camping. Fair amount of people packing in on Friday afternoon August 16, 2019 to hike over Sundance Pass this weekend. Saw no other mammals.

Great hike and worth the view of the lake. One of the harder ones you can find in the area, however, even if you stay to the right to avoid most of the boulder field.

Great hike. My Garmin showed 11 miles to Lost Lake and back. Beautiful hiking along Rock Creek. One couple said they saw a moose about 15 minutes up trail. He was gone by time we got there though. It is a rocky hike so watch your footing. Also a ton of horse poop. Loved the trail and would do again.

Great hike. Lots of horse poop on trail and some mud in spots. The best part of this hike is following Rock Creek for the majority of it. The lake was beautiful as always. Left trailhead at 730 and saw no one. Coming back down trail, passed numerous people, dogs, and horses.

great long hike. there is not a marker for Lost Lake. A bare tree has a arrow carved into it but it's easy to miss. There is not a stack of rocks anymore. The lake is about .3 miles off the trail to the left about 5 miles in. My GPS showed 11 miles there and back .

Easy trail, beautiful lake!! We had a great campsite.

Great overnight backpacking trip with my teenage daughter. Easy hike with the exception of the tricky turn off to the lake (look for the stack of rocks as the turn off marker). We did a Sat/Sun overnight, lots of day hikers but still felt like the only ones camping the night.

Absolutely enjoyed this trail. The river runs next to it almost the entire way so it helps keep the temperature cool. The only downfall was the amount of horse poop that we had to weave through but there could be worse things. The lake was peaceful and beautiful and we highly recommend it!!

Great day hike with beautiful views! Only bad part is there were some areas that the streams were hard to cross because of high water. Saw a moose on the trail as well!

I went the last weekend in June with two friends. The lake view was really amazing, there are several rocks to lay out in the sun. My favorite part was about 3 miles in where the river takes a bend, everything really opens up and you have a pristine view of the mountains. All and all a great hike.

Standing water and mud on some parts of trail, but easy to avoid and very nice overall. Trail is wide and perfect for kids.

It was a nice easy hike with a slow steady incline. Lots of traffic with happy dogs. This was my second time on the trail and I plan to go back again.

Beautiful hike with a good mixture of open fields and heavily wooded stretches. Hiked this Saturday morning and stayed the night before coming back Sunday. Lots of traffic both days and plenty of dogs out, so definitely bring them along! We stayed on the east side of the lake and it made for a great spot. There was a small creek that made getting running water convenient. We had no neighbors but it looked like there were other backpackers that must've stayed on the west side near where the trail comes up. I'd highly recommend this for a day hike, or even better yet stay a night. The stars at night were jaw dropping. I would say the hike is probably closer to 5.5 miles, but it doesn't make much difference. Do it and you won't regret it.

Beautiful, relatively shaded hike along Rock Creek featuring multiple waterfalls. The trail is surrounded by slender pines and occasional meadows with a vibrant spritz of yellow and purple wildflowers. There are several streams crossing the path but the strategically placed rocks and logs let you avoid soggy socks if you can keep your balance. We saw lots of happy pups and many families on day hikes with young children- Broadwater Lake is a peaceful spot to take a water/snack break. As noted in other reviews, the turnoff to Lost Lake is distinctly marked with a cairn and it’s only about .3 miles up from there. We stayed the night and there were a couple of other groups there as well. An relaxing day hike with very little incline.

The streams are high about 1 -1.5 miles up, and they run right across the trail. there are a few makeshift log-bridges, but you'll have to do a bit of balance and rock hopping to keep going. beautiful trail, well worth it!

I was on the trail by 8 am and hardly saw anyone. It was awe-inspiring. The river was raging. The views were breathtaking. I saw scat and some potential paw prints, but no wildlife (I was ok with that after reading about moose encounters). I definitely would go and do this trail again with friends and explore for longer. My dog enjoyed the hike as well.

We tried to hike this 4/23/19, trail was still snow covered and continued to get deeper as we went. We made it a few miles in before turning back. Would recommend snowshoes if hiking any time soon... Also the road was closed 1.4 miles from the trailhead to add to the distance.

Wed Sep 26 2018

it's an enjoyable easy hike with great scenery.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Very nice hike, popular so lots of others there too.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Beautiful easy hike. Can be kind of confusing where to turn off the main trail to the lake. Easy Incline until the last ~.3mi turn off and your headed straight up to the lake. It’s a horse trail so be prepared for a lot of horse sh*t.