Livingston Peak Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Livingston, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 728 feet Route Type: Out & Back

To be clear - this trail does NOT go to the top of Livingston peak. As defined, it gets up to a saddle at about 8200’, leaving 1000’ of tough climbing to reach the summit. Today, there was a lot of snow over ~7600’, obscuring the trail in a lot of places. I don’t think the summit is reachable without serious snow gear for several more weeks. That said, the trail was beautiful with really nice views in the last half mile. A little muddy, and some route-finding needed over the snow, but an enjoyable couple hour trip!

flooded

The road to the trailhead is very rocky!! Beautiful views! Well worth the very steep climb!

Beautiful start didn’t get far with a huge black bear!! Bring spray and make noise!!

Clear all the way to saddle. Great hike. The red line on the map gets you to the needed trail to get to the saddle and the peak.

Beautiful, beautiful hike! We started from downtown Livingston and drove 45 minutes up to the trailhead. Swingley Route across Harvad’s Flat. Road rocky and minor wash outs in places. Take your pickup or SUV. We saw deer, fawn, moose, black bear (at a distance), antelope with babies and a multitude of wild flowers. We were slow and steady taking 3 1/2 hours up and 2 hour return. It was a push from the saddle to the summit but way worth it!

Snow pack up to peak at least waist high with plenty of post-holing. Rained when I was on the peak, so the trail became slick as snot on the way down. Be sure footed or else.

Fri May 10 2019

Lots of snow, would wait a few weeks

Thu Mar 14 2019

pretty view of town from the top. feels like you are on top of the world!

Sat Sep 22 2018

The app is misleading- if you follow the red line you won’t be at the peak you will have two more miles up so it ends up being 8 miles round trip. Thats the only reason i give it a four out of five. The last quarter mile was essentially straight up but don’t give up it’s 100% worth it. I recorded my way down for anyone who wants to see the actual path. If you can do this hike you will feel rewarded and you won’t regret it !

Fri Aug 03 2018

We did this hike yesterday. It’s very remote, but a gorgeous hike! We didn’t make it to the peak but hopefully next time. We DID see a grizzly bear when we were almost back to the car about 50-75 yards from us so be sure you have your bear spray.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Pretty easy hike with pretty views. The elevation gain is all in the last stretch. Less trafficked than the Bozeman hikes so if you are looking to get away from the crowds, this hike is for you!

Thu Jun 21 2018

Lots of bears! Ran into 2 on the way up, one on the road and one on the trail. Bring lots of bear spray!

Sun Jun 03 2018

Beautiful trail. The most difficult thing is the road getting there. I beat up my Subaru and would only recommend going if you have an suv or truck. The trail was incredible saw no signs of bears just some deer and 2 other hikers. Didn’t make it to the summit but will try again later.

Thu Oct 19 2017

It is not an easy WALK to the top. It was 3 1/2 miles to the peak and it is elevated at the last half mile. FYI there were fresh bear tracks the entire way up and do not recommend anyone to go up there unless having a firearm. The trail is not clear at all but is nice and quiet, total nature and underrated trail.

Sun Oct 01 2017

This is an easy walk with beautiful views. The road in is a bit of a rough drive and one lane at some points. Nice photo ops all the way.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Crazy 4 wheel drive to get up to the trail, fun! Beautiful trail, flowers... well worth the hike

Mon Jul 24 2017

I'm confused by your rating of "Easy" and your stated elevation gain of only 900 feet. I have lived in Livingston for 30 years and so this peak and trail are well known to me. Me and my family climbed it just yesterday. The trail is about 4 miles each way as you say. But the elevation gain is more than 3000 feet. The last .7 miles from the saddle to the peak gains 1000 feet which is fairly steep by trail standards and is not "easy". Are we talking about the same hike? Gorgeous views from the peak and the wild flowers alone are worth the effort.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Really nice trail but super remote. I was pretty nervous the whole time being a solo female with two pups. I forgot my bear spray (for the first time ever) and of course saw a bear right at the end near the parking lot. Take bear spray and a friend. Beautiful trail though!!