Leigh Lake is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Libby, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length2.7 miElevation gain1,171 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashCampingHikingNature tripsrunningForestLakeViewsWildlifeOver grownRockyScrambleSnow
Description
Waypoints (0)

The trail to Leigh Lake is a shorter hike but with that incline that will definitely have you feeling like you got a good workout. It takes a little under an hour and a half to get to the lake if you stop and savor the views, about an hour if you are walking quickly. What to expect: the trail has incline and definite rocky areas that you will have to climb at points. They can be a bit slick and something you may want to consider if bringing small children and pets. You will cross some streams/water areas a few times so expect to get your feet a bit wet and muddy. BEAUTIFUL waterfalls that you will walk by along the way up. Snowy patches into early summer once you get closer to the lake.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (135)
Photos (197)
Recordings (85)
Completed (256)
James Kemner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2020
View James's Recording
Aspen wheeler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

awesome trail, pretty easy due to it's short length but had some pretty steep spots. I took my dog (a jack russle) and I carried here some spots although she probably could have made it. the lake was warmer than expected so I took a swim.

Bryan Avante
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 1, 2020
Hiking

Clear trail. Fall colors were amazing...I mean this hike was totally terrible so don’t go ;)

View Bryan's Recording
Matt Vittal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Lake was amazing. It is a tough hike straight up.

View Matt's Recording
Jennifer Milan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble
View Jennifer's Recording
Mandy Sohaney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

It’s really steep and gets very, very rocky towards the end. I was hiking with my dog and we ended up having to turn back at the falls as I was afraid she wouldn’t be able to make it up or back down. My dog is a German Shepard, and I’m unable to carry her. Keep this in mind if you plan to bring your pet! Smoke obscured most of what I’m sure was fabulous views on the way up. I’ll have to go back on a clear day without my dog.

Denise Decicio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Great, short and semi steep hike. Took about 60 min to get to the top. Would have enjoyed it more without all the wildfire smoke. Would definitely do it again.

View Denise's Recording
Michael Pinter
Hiking

Short and sassy hike past a beautiful waterfall to Leigh Lake. Horrible smoke from the wildfires obscured what I assume is an incredible ring of peaks and cliffs. I expect it will rate 5 stars next time.

View Michael's Recording
Hongdi Zhao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingRocky

The flow for this trail goes like this (from beginning to end): easy, moderate, hard, hard, easy. The final lack view is astonishing! Worth it!

Jamie Thronsedt
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Tackled this trail today! For someone with basically no mountain hiking experience, this trail was hard. Uphill the whole way, shale-filled areas, steep inclines.. the works. It’s a long trek for little kids, my friends 3 year old made it but had struggles. Many people had dogs. The falls, views, and lake were all gorgeous. I’m exhausted and sore, but well worth it. Took us about 5.5 hours. We enjoyed the falls and lake for awhile each. Would definitely recommend.

Joshua Tucker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Joshua's Recording
Elizabeth Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!RockyScramble

I hiked this today with my 7 month old son and my Father-In-Law; nature times the first view of the lake perfectly! I carried my baby using a tula and although steep, trail doesn't get too crazy until the last 500 yards. Crossing the rock face was the hardest part and the lake is beautiful! Plenty of space to hang out and enjoy the water! I recommend timing the hike to ensure heading back not in the heat of the day...not much shade until until after the rocky part.

David Ebel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingScramble

Excellent trail. Short hike but a bit of a scramble up so you will feel like you got a workout.

Kyle Daugherty
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
View Kyle's Recording
Daryl Lawrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

LAKE TIDAL WAVE! A large chunk of ice cracked off and plunged into the water. It created a 3foot+ lake tidal wave. Got us soaked. The water withdrew way into the lake just like an ocean tidal wave and then rushed in. I thought I had filmed the main tidal wave but didn’t push the button on my phone because I was scrambling to higher ground. (I pushed the selfie button!) I got the following waves though. You can see the water is muddy just like an ocean tidal wave. It’s a public video on my Facebook page. Check it out!

Zach S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingRockyScramble
Carissa Danielle
Hiking

Great trail! The incline was a bit rough but it was so worth it once we got to the lake. The view is amazing the whole way up. Definitely must go!! Steep incline but it’s manageable.

Dawn Stubblefield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingRocky

Hard steep hike. 3/4 of the way in you get to enjoy Leigh Falls which are stunning. Lots of beautiful land and rocks to enjoy. The lake is absolutely breath taking with the glaciers.

Dana Field
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRockyScramble

Beautiful Trail! Saw a female Moose . Very difficult trail ! Definitely good for avid hikers not for beginners !