Leigh Lake is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Libby, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,171 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail to Leigh Lake is a shorter hike but with that incline that will definitely have you feeling like you got a good workout. It takes a little under an hour and a half to get to the lake if you stop and savor the views, about an hour if you are walking quickly. What to expect: the trail has incline and definite rocky areas that you will have to climb at points. They can be a bit slick and something you may want to consider if bringing small children and pets. You will cross some streams/water areas a few times so expect to get your feet a bit wet and muddy. BEAUTIFUL waterfalls that you will walk by along the way up. Snowy patches into early summer once you get closer to the lake.

Late May- Fun trail with lots of variety in landscape and great views. A few sections where you have to cross streams and scramble up rocks. You definitely have to be careful of your footing - wouldn’t recommend bringing small children or small dogs. The lake was mostly frozen over, but it was super beautiful with the surrounding mountains. A bit muddy and snowy in areas, but I’m sure it will clear up later in the summer. Overall, fun time and would hike again.

icy

3.0 miles r/t @ 3:00 hr (easy pace). There is a lot of trail cutouts due primarily to mountain goats. A solid map study with terrain navigation will see you to the lake.

5/24/2020: Great trail with many scenic shots for those who enjoy taking photos. It is a shorter hike but with that incline you definitely get a good workout. It took us close to 80 minutes to get to the lake, probably could be done in about an hour. What to expect: the trail has incline and definite rocky areas that you will have to climb at points. They can be a bit slick and something you may want to consider if bringing small children and pets. We did cross some streams/water areas a few times so expect to get your feet a bit wet and muddy. BEAUTIFUL waterfalls that you will walk by along the way up. Snowy patches once we edged closer to the lake. You will have to follow tracks in the snow as the actual trail path is covered. We had a few slippery moments in the snow trying to trek down to the lake. The lake is still frozen over but has a few cracks in the ice where some of the water is visible. The beautiful backdrop of the snowy mountains and clouds made for some picturesque views. We did not see any wildlife but be prepared and have bear spray. It was quite windy at the lake so dress accordingly. I added some photos for ideas of the trail! Take your time and enjoy!

loved this hike. short but decent elevation gain so nice workout. pleasant hike all the way, different feel and some views. can hear creek the entire way. definately some minor scrambles over rocks in a few areas. easy to get to falls. looks like there may be a path up the left side of the creek from there but most go right. path seemed easy to find but after maybe 30 feet it takes a hard left. but at that point, wider trail looks like it goes straight. ended hiking up a bit of a goat trail I think. lake is lovely. bit overgrown on way in but easy to stay on path. enjoy!

Beautiful, lots of huckleberry, but spent most of the time watching my feet or looking for the trail above the falls

Trail is pretty uphill with rock scrambles. We didn’t go to the right lake about 2 weeks ago. We took a wrong turn. Someone spray painted on a tree which road to take and found the correct trailhead. The scrambles are kind of difficult and can easily get you lost. To the right of the waterfall there is a faint white arrow pointing you in the right direction. The most beautiful lake I have ever been to. Definitely need spray.

This hike is definitely worth the effort for the end result..... one of the most beautiful alpine lakes I have spent the night at! As always, good boots that fit properly are essential on this hike. If you plan on camping at the lake, I suggest you get started early because there are ONLY a few places suitable (level) to pitch a small tent. We did not see any goats or bear but there was lots of white goat hair on bushes where we chose to camp. Had a visit in the middle of the night by something since I woke up to my dog barking. Just made some noise and whatever critter was there left because we had no other problems the rest of the night. I would NOT GO on this hike WITHOUT BEAR SPRAY though. Everyone should read the literature at the trailhead regarding the wildlife to minimize attracting the goats. The goats also can be fairly aggressive from what I have read.

great trail , beautiful scenery me and my dog enjoyed it

Mon Jun 03 2019

Great hike but read to be for warned. This is more of a strenuous hike with all the rock slides and rock scrambling that takes place. It’s really tough to tell where the trail goes after the waterfall. Look For the faint white arrow on a rock to the right of the water fall. That said once at the lake absolutely breathtaking views. We went in June and the lake was still mostly frozen. Plenty of Bear and Big horn sheep along the way. Make sure to take bear spray.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Fantastic hike. Certainly a tad sketchy in places. At the waterfall look for the arrow pointing up what amounts to a very steep rock slide. Go slow and watch your footing. Bear sign was on the trail so be prepared with some spray and make noise. The lake was wonderful and I could have spent all day just sitting there. I would do it again!

Thu Sep 06 2018

If you are afraid of heights like me, this is not the hike for you. After the waterfall there are some really sketchy areas in the trail and one area that is very dangerous to pass. I almost turned back at this point because I couldn't see a way to the other side and I was paralyzed by fear. Thankfully, my hiking partner coached me through this section on the way up and down. I am glad that I ditched my pack and worked through my fear, because the lake was beautiful. However, I will never do this hike again.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Beautiful hike this trail 8/26/2018. So worth the hike to see the lake, but we did run into a bear.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Beautiful lake and there is a waterfall to stop at on the way up. Trail is fairly steep but well worth it!

Sat Jul 07 2018

Doable for experienced kids ages 7+, but there are some sketchy areas to cross, and the trail is very steep in sections. The view is totally worth it, and the water is refreshing! No fish were biting on our trip, but 3-4 groups climbing after us had their gear along also. Out and back was about three hours, including 40 mins or so enjoying the view.