Lake Francis Trail

moderate 6 reviews

Lake Francis Trail is a 16.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Babb, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking.

Distance: 16.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,358 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Glacier Park Inc. P.O. Box 2025, Columbia Falls, Montana 59912 406-8922525

Did this trail on a backpacking trip from Bowman Lake to Boulder Pass, to Lake Francis and back out to Bowman Lake. Lake Francis' backcountry campground is really nice, but there are only two spots available. One of the lesser known areas of the park, but it is certainly worth a consideration for a backpacking trip.

Thu Mar 15 2018

Absolutely amazing. Lake Francis is where my husband proposed to me so it will always hold a special place in my heart. The views here are out of this world. In my opinion nothing compares to GNP. We did see a grizzly after we left this trail to head to Waterton so bring bear spray!!!!

Sat Nov 05 2016

Much of the hike is spent in thick woods or very tall huckleberry bushes (bring that bear spray!), but every once in a while you breakout into spectacular views. Lake Francis is beyond jaw dropping. Bring a fishing pole, you have to try to not catch a fish there. Great campground too. Would recommend it as an overnight trip. One of the best I've ever done!

Sun May 29 2016

Very beautiful trail with a perfect lake at the end. We did it as an overnighter. Very nice camping ground.

Thu Sep 01 2016