Lake Como Loop Trail

Lake Como Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darby, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lake Como Trail is located between Hamilton and Darby, MT. This trail wraps around the entire lake with a waterfall at the west (back) end. To hike the trail as a "loop" it is about 8 miles. To do an "out and back" hike to the falls on the north shore trail it is about 6 miles round trip.

We ran this from our campsite with the pups. A lot of loose stones and light elevation over the 8 miles. Beautiful views, would be more fun for a leisurely hike. Falls were roaring end of May and trail was muddy in a few spots. Overall a great hike/run close to camp and close to the highway.

great, alot of people, extremely gorgeous

This is such a beautiful hike that it took my friend and I four hours because I was constantly stopping for pictures. When we hiked it on September 28th the waterfalls were flowing just enough water to listen to its ambiance, but we're calm enough to jump around on the rocks exposed out of the current.

nice trail and very level. great views off and on

1.5 hours to waterfalls and 1 hour back. Lots of people and boat noise (Sunday). Go during week and take a swimsuit.

Pretty easy trail well groomed. lots of great water effects and views of the lake. I'd rate the traffic as moderate to busy depending on the day.

Went all the way around. So happily surprised to find the rushing water at the mid point of the lake. So beautiful. We sat at the waters edge and cooled our feet! What a treat. Long walk but worth it!!!

Easy hike. Good trail. Save $5 and park on the road above the boat ramp. It adds a half a mile to the hike.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Very beautiful. Easy hike, took about 4 hours. Enjoyed good views.

Monday, April 04, 2016

My wife and I hiked the loop today. Easy terrain. Many children. Moms and dogs on the trail. Still a little ice on the south part of loop. Trail runners mountain bikers and potentially horseback rides all get to use the trail. Very pretty and scenic. At a slow pace it can be done n 4 hours. I hiked it with a leg brace on from quad surgery.
Great beginner trail. Great family trail.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Beautiful. First time I hiked this was the first week of March 2015. My boyfriend and I were the only sign of human life anywhere around the lake and up on the trails. We definitely weren't the only ones there though, fresh bear cub prints! Great hike, thoroughly enjoyed the terrain variation and the face that I got to go bouldering for about one mile in the snow.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Loved this hike I just did the out and back on the north side to get to the waterfall. I loved the views and the dip in the lake was nice. The cliffs on the left side of the waterfall are great for jumping!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

This was the first hike I went on in about 3 years, and I am not in very good condition, so as an absolute beginner, I was breathing hard by the end of it. The trail is fairly level all the way around the lake. The falls are pretty and the view of the lake is very nice but I did not find any part of this trail to be breathtaking. I enjoyed the hike out, on the south side of the lake, more than the hike in, on the north side of the lake. On a hot day, it would be best to park at the boat launch and begin by crossing the dam, then circling the lake, and ending back at the boat launch simply because the south side of the lake is well shaded where the north side is very sunny. This is definitely a good starter hike. I think it took us about 4 or 5 hours because I was slowing everyone down.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Great views easy hike. Great picnic spots. Pack a lunch.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beautiful hike/walk! The trail on the north side of Lake Como is pretty flat, following the lake, above the shoreline until about 3 miles when you'll pass over flat rocks. When you get to the junction of Trail #580, you'll be tempted to turn left (south). Don't just yet. If you continue up the hill, the trail narrows but shortly leads you to an even larger falls. When you're ready, head back down to the junction and follow trail 580 which will lead you around the western edge of Lake Como to a smaller falls and a sturdy bridge. For an easy out and back, return the way you came. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, continue back along the south shore of the lake on Trail #580. The trail along the south shore is not level and you'll find yourself climbing up and down, up and down. This trail is more rustic and includes 2 narrow bridges crossing pretty streams rushing down the hillside. Trail 580 ends at the boat launch on the east end of Lake Como. To get back to your starting point, walk over the dam.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Nice morning hike out to the bridge & falls. Took about 2 hours not many folk on the way out @ 9:30 but quite a few on the way back. Trails are still wet from yesterdays rain.
Glacier Lily were blooming.