Lake Como Loop Trail

Lake Como Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darby, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lake Como Trail is located between Hamilton and Darby, MT. This trail wraps around the entire lake with a waterfall at the west (back) end. To hike the trail as a "loop" it is about 8 miles. To do an "out and back" hike to the falls on the north shore trail it is about 6 miles round trip.

Fun hike. Did in 2 hours 40 mins. We kept a good pace. Now back to Hamilton for a beer.

Easy, gorgeous hike! Did the entire loop last year. Currently camped at Three Frogs by the start of the trail. Going again Saturday morning.

This is a fantastic trail that I will definitely return to. I agree with the reviews that this is a great family hike, but want to add one little disclaimer. I was a little nervous in a few parts with my recently-turned 5 year old son, and I was glad my wife and I had our two year old strapped to our back. The drop-off is steep in a few parts, and you could tumble for a long ways. Like I said, fantastic trail — but wanted to give a warning to those with really little hikers.

Gorgeous trail and very easy. Beautiful to do almost anytime of the year. I went there in June and there was still some snow on the back end of the trail but overall very pleasant hike

Beautifully maintained hike with lots of variation in forest type. Bit of a stretch for the six year old, but we made it!

Hiked it with my 16 year old son, nice little hike

Really pleasantly surprised by the waterfall near the middle of the loop. Great to start and end at a beach on a hot day.

Walked this trail on the 4th with the kiddos and my elderly mother in law in a wheelchair. It was nice to have a paved trail for the first little bit so that grandma could enjoy a little of the beautiful outdoors. The kids hiked farther up the trail and everyone had an enjoyable time. Very easy with beautiful views of lake the whole way.

This is such a fun place! Great for swimming towards the end of the hike! Curious...any particular time there are not many yellow jackets? I love this place so much but there were so so many yellow jackets and my daughter was stung twice on the trail. I want to go when they are not swarming :). Gorgeous place and easy trail. So much fun!

Amazing trail.
1. $5 fee so have cash or check.
2. On the east side of the lake the water has washed out the trail. You can bravely venture across if you're sure footed (not recommended for kiddos, elderly or dogs who aren't water aware)...downstream 12 feet -ish there is a log you can cross (also not recommended for those mentioned above).
We had an amazing time on this hike and the waterfall area is worth every footstep. Gorgeous!

Easy to follow, mostly level, and dead gorgeous. Great way to ease in to the summer hiking season.

First hike of the season. I did the full loop and had a great time. The trail was a bit sloppy in places from the snowmelt but was otherwise easy to follow. Free parking if you go between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Including a break for lunch, it took me just over 3 hours.

Did this trail on horse back in summer 2016. Perfect!!

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Easy and flat. Great for getting in your first hike of the summer to test the old body out.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Easy. we're fat out of shape smokers.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

We had an excellent time on this trail. It certainly isn't conducive to running the entire time, but it was a beautiful and interesting trail the entire way around.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Love this trail to the waterfall it gets a bit rocky but is fairly flat

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Great hike, easy minimal incline with many opportunities for swimming and fishing. The only downside is that part of the trail goes through the campground which is inconvenient and looses the feel of nature a little bit but overall a fun and leisurely time.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

My buddy and I took our Mountain Bikes around the 7.5 Mile Loop. Such a rush but pretty sketchy at times. We were the only people with bikes on the trail but there were a lot of families hiking with dogs. This is one of my favorite trails.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Not much elevation change but swollen creeks in early June made it a bit more challenging than it otherwise would have been. Keep your eyes peeled for the foot bridges!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

We ran this from our campsite with the pups. A lot of loose stones and light elevation over the 8 miles. Beautiful views, would be more fun for a leisurely hike. Falls were roaring end of May and trail was muddy in a few spots. Overall a great hike/run close to camp and close to the highway.

Friday, March 03, 2017

great, alot of people, extremely gorgeous

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This is such a beautiful hike that it took my friend and I four hours because I was constantly stopping for pictures. When we hiked it on September 28th the waterfalls were flowing just enough water to listen to its ambiance, but we're calm enough to jump around on the rocks exposed out of the current.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

nice trail and very level. great views off and on

Sunday, July 24, 2016

1.5 hours to waterfalls and 1 hour back. Lots of people and boat noise (Sunday). Go during week and take a swimsuit.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Pretty easy trail well groomed. lots of great water effects and views of the lake. I'd rate the traffic as moderate to busy depending on the day.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Went all the way around. So happily surprised to find the rushing water at the mid point of the lake. So beautiful. We sat at the waters edge and cooled our feet! What a treat. Long walk but worth it!!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Easy hike. Good trail. Save $5 and park on the road above the boat ramp. It adds a half a mile to the hike.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Very beautiful. Easy hike, took about 4 hours. Enjoyed good views.

Monday, April 04, 2016

My wife and I hiked the loop today. Easy terrain. Many children. Moms and dogs on the trail. Still a little ice on the south part of loop. Trail runners mountain bikers and potentially horseback rides all get to use the trail. Very pretty and scenic. At a slow pace it can be done n 4 hours. I hiked it with a leg brace on from quad surgery.
Great beginner trail. Great family trail.