Learn more

Koo-Koo-Sint is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Thompson Falls, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October.

Length 4.0 mi Elevation gain 1,876 ft Route type Out & Back
Photos (30)
Recordings (3)
Completed (8)
Alexandra Flerchinger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2020

We hiked this 8/16/20 with hope that the trail had been improved. It has not- the Trail is overgrown, narrow and fairly treacherous in some places. There was a downed tree over the road to the trailhead, so we hiked an extra 2 miles to get to the trailhead. However, someone came after us and removed the tree. The road is pretty narrow though, so we didn't mind walking it. There are about 11 switchbacks up the mountain and huckleberries along the upper part. The view is stunning and overall we enjoyed a great workout.

Samantha Becker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 22, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

This trail is most definitely not being maintained. The road to get to the trailhead is narrow, full of ruts, and brush will scratch your vehicle. As previous reviews mentioned, you want to have a high clearance AWD vehicle. As for the trail itself, it’s a shame that it’s not being kept up because it’s not super strenuous and the views are beautiful. It’s so overgrown in some places that you are essentially walking through brush, not to mention how narrow the path is. Oh, and the TICKS. My friend and I probably pulled off over 30 ticks off of us, and I literally found one crawling in my hair three days after hiking this. The reason I gave this trail 2 stars is mostly because of how bad the ticks were. Would not hike again unless the trail is reblazed. Seems like there is an east side of this trail that doesn’t show up on alltrails. It’s marked by blue markers at the top of the mountain and appears to go down the east side of the ridge. Now that trail is being maintained. I wonder where the trailhead is?

View Samantha's Recording
Samantha M-B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

May 19. Took about 3 hours up & back. The trail is a little overgrown but still managed and has a lot of steady inclined switchbacks. You can drive right to the trail head but the road is pretty rough. Trail features so much beauty, rocks, trees, bushes, flowers. When we got to the top we walked down to a small cliff and got a view of the river-careful the cliff ends abruptly with a drop off. 100% recommended, you won’t regret going

Karin Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 20, 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

Did this trail today, up and back took roughly 5 hours with all the scrambling necessary. Gorgeous views at the top. Hi George! Great to meet you today. One edit: google maps doesn’t take you straight to the trailhead. Look for the hikers sign with the arrow and follow the road up until you see the clearly marked trail head. Four wheel drive and high clearance a must.

George McKee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 19, 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow
First to Review

I hiked this trail a little too early in the season. Under normal circumstances this is a great workout with the elevation gain. And I’m sure the view from the top is spectacular. I made it about 90% of the hike before I lost the trail to snow and hundreds (no exaggeration) of fallen trees. I could have scrambled the rest of the way but having climbed over and under the multiple of fallen trees we encountered to that point did me in. I’ll finish this trail later in the season when I’m in better shape and I can see the trail. We met two others hiking the same trail. One person (young and fit) passed us on the way up. We followed his footsteps in the snow but lost his trail as I suspect we went off trail towards the top. The other person (also young and fit) was making her way up with her trail dog as we were coming down. The road to the trailhead is definitely four wheel drive only. Take a vehicle you don’t mind getting the paint scraped up as the twigs and branches are numerous. About 300 feet from the trailhead we came across fallen trees and two individuals (trail angles) with chain saws clearing the road. They had been working all morning and had opened up about a mile of the road on their own time and expense. Fortunately we were close to the trailhead and parked the car there.

Ashley Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020
Hiking
kate baxter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2019
Hiking