Hyalite Creek Trail to Hyalite Lake

moderate 140 reviews

Hyalite Creek Trail to Hyalite Lake is a 17.5 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.5 km Elevation Gain: 657 m Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that trails in this area/roads leading to the trailheads are often closed well into May for snowy conditions. Please check with the Gallatin National Forest for more information if visiting during winter.

So sick

good easy to follow trail with beautiful scenery. my only complaint is the amount of people. the only difficulty is the length of the trail. make sure you get there early it took us 8 hrs. but we did stop at every waterfall and wondered off trail a bit. my GPS said 15.6 miles. but then again we didn't only stick to the trail.

Only had enough time to make it to the lake. Very scenic tho. Lots of waterfalls and not too many people on a Tuesday morning.

This hike is difficult in length, but I never felt like dying from exhaustion at anytime. Very do-able! I hiked the trail in August where I counted 10+ solid waterfalls that are visible some from the trail itself and others from just taking a very short path to view them. Every part of this trail had beautiful views of either waterfalls or the valley below. My personal tracker said we hiked about 2.5 miles longer than what is posted here, but I started it from the parking lot rather than from the base itself. This was also with detours to the waterfalls and to the edge of the lake!

recorded Hyalite Creek Trail to Hyalite Lake

Awesome hike! Flowers, alpine meadows, climbs, falls and a lake. Highly recommend side trip to Silken Skein Falls

love this trail! if you don't do any other trail in the hyalite area, you should do this one! it's gorgeous and full of waterfalls and stunning views.

Beautiful trail! I would definitely suggest to hike to the different waterfalls marked along the trail. Most of it can be a run. We went during the week, so we did not experience hardly any traffic. It took us about 7.5 hours round trip at a not-too-fast pace. It gradually increases in steepness, but no part was difficult.The second half was my favorite part; lots of stream crossings, waterfalls, wild flowers and great views of the valley. The trail was mostly dry with occasionally walking in the trickling creek. There were several stream/creek crossings, but hiking boots were sufficient at keeping our feet dry. I would definitely do this hike again, but I would plan a couple extra hours to hike to the peak as we were only able to walk around the lake since we wanted to get back before dark.

wet and busy

Unbelievable waterfalls and the wildflowers were magnificent!!! Great trail!

Nice gradual trail. It seemed so flat at first that I was worried the end would be super steep but the whole way was chill. At the last waterfall, go left on storm castle instead of crossing.

Beautiful hike. The trail was very wet and I wouldn’t do it without water shoes. The hike isn’t hard but it is long enough that you will hurt if you are not in good physical condition.

The wife, pup, and I backpacked up to the lake for our anniversary. The trail is very nice, heavily used. There were a lot of trail runners going to the peak which made me feel fat.

was our first hike in Montana, and it matched anything we have seen in the Rockies. gorgeous wildflowers, waterfalls, and you are rewarded with an exquisite mountain lake at the top.

Nice trail - popular but not overcrowded especially once you get above grotto falls. Water crossings were easy and just a few muddy spots. It’s a good trail with many different views and several waterfalls along the way. We did them all and like them all. Start in the morning - lots of folks coming up the trail and got a lot busier after 1pm

This was a really great hike with some amazing waterfalls along the way. Definitely take the time to find the waterfalls...they are amazing and only add about a mile to the overall hike. The trail was in good condition and the water crossings weren’t bad at all. The hike was a total of 12.7 miles.

Wonderful hike! Lots of water crossings but nothing too difficult. Beautiful! Not very crowded. Lots of dogs off leash.

Beautiful trail, multiple waterfalls!! Only tricky parts were 3 water crossings through rushing water. Great hike!!

Very, very beautiful terrain and multiple water falls, well maintained and travelled trail, however did not reach the lake yesterday. After two easy stream (wading) crossings, returning (local) hikers warned us off attempting the lake due to several deep/high water stream crossings and snow obscuring trail--sounded like they had regrets for doing it. If you can, wait till later in the season, and start early in the day.

Still snow covering the trail about 4 miles up! Come prepared.

went on 5/17 little chilly still and some snow but didnt stop my pup from enjoying a dip in the water most trails still closed.

closed

main road closed 12 miles to trailhead March 31st until May 16th, 2019 :(

Mon Oct 15 2018

Waterfalls everywhere. Snow everywhere. we were the only ones that made it to the lake and made fresh tracks. About ankle deep sometimes knee deep. The road was pretty brutal. I wouldn't tow anything (we did) but fine on a 2wd just tons of potholes

Sat Sep 22 2018

Rode my horse to Hyalite Lake and it was beautiful. Easy trailer parking, friendly folks on the trail, and very curious dogs! Trail was muddy in places where the stream flowed but the falls along the way and breathtaking views makes this trail stunning. A must see!

Wed Sep 05 2018

Absolutely gorgeous hike! Take the time to visit the many waterfalls that you pass on the way. It is completely worth it! Much harder trail than Grotto due to the length and the rocks. We didn’t make it to the lake due to us losing daylight and the rain. But definitely intend to start earlier next time and finish this trail. Ended our journey at Chasm Falls which has the little bridge. Pack lots of water, you’ll need it. Saw a few wildflowers on the way.

Fri Aug 24 2018

Five star hike with waterfalls around every corner and serene lake at the end. It is incredibly gorgeous. There are still some wildflowers at the top. The smoke was bad, but not terrible. It is a steady climb, so not too difficult. If you want to cut it short, go 4 miles to see a waterfall that you can sit under. As you cross the bridge over a smooth rock base, look up the hill! walk up the hill on the left, you can go right up to it and hang out underneath. This was my favorite part!