Hyalite Creek Trail to Hyalite Lake

Hyalite Creek Trail to Hyalite Lake is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Waterfalls everywhere. Snow everywhere. we were the only ones that made it to the lake and made fresh tracks. About ankle deep sometimes knee deep. The road was pretty brutal. I wouldn't tow anything (we did) but fine on a 2wd just tons of potholes

Rode my horse to Hyalite Lake and it was beautiful. Easy trailer parking, friendly folks on the trail, and very curious dogs! Trail was muddy in places where the stream flowed but the falls along the way and breathtaking views makes this trail stunning. A must see!

Absolutely gorgeous hike! Take the time to visit the many waterfalls that you pass on the way. It is completely worth it! Much harder trail than Grotto due to the length and the rocks. We didn’t make it to the lake due to us losing daylight and the rain. But definitely intend to start earlier next time and finish this trail. Ended our journey at Chasm Falls which has the little bridge. Pack lots of water, you’ll need it. Saw a few wildflowers on the way.

Five star hike with waterfalls around every corner and serene lake at the end. It is incredibly gorgeous. There are still some wildflowers at the top. The smoke was bad, but not terrible.

It is a steady climb, so not too difficult. If you want to cut it short, go 4 miles to see a waterfall that you can sit under. As you cross the bridge over a smooth rock base, look up the hill! walk up the hill on the left, you can go right up to it and hang out underneath. This was my favorite part!

shady, no mile markers, lots of pesky flies! lots of beautiful waterfall options. bring plenty of water, you'll need it.

Ran with my two girls (11/9). We each carried a full hydro pack and brought a lifestraw along. We had plenty of fuel as well. The hike was amazing. We didn't hike to the top of the peak. We hiked to a lower one as I didn't feel safe enough with the last mile with my kids due to terrain.
The girls ran out of water at the peak and used the lifestraw on the way down. The waterfalls were amazing and so were the wildflowers! I would do this hike again in a heartbeat! It took us 5 hours to run/hike/enjoy this. I stopped and took a zillion photos and we spent about 20 minutes at the lake.

The many waterfalls and streams are beautiful! We detoured off the trail to see each of the falls, including Grotto, and ended up walking about 13-14 miles. Silken Skein Falls is at least 1/4 mile off the trail and despite climbing up a narrow trail through the trees never got a good view. I will skip it next time. We were able to manage all of the stream crossings without getting wet feet. Closer to the lake, there is a large stream crossing but you can take a trail to the left up the hill along the creek to connect back with the main trail, thereby avoiding two big crossings. The trail has a flour-like dust, so a beer and shower at the end of this dusty trail is advised. We hit the trailhead at 7:30 am on a Tuesday and saw six people ahead of us and about forty in the way back. We didn’t haul water for our dog due to the abundant creeks, but I drank 2.5 L.

Beautiful hike with my husband and dog. Like some others have said, trail is likely closer to 12 miles, but a nice gradual incline for the most part. The last mile or so had some great wildflowers! We started around 6am on a Tuesday and didn't see anyone until we were about halfway down. Being from an area without grizzlies, we were a bit nervous on the way up, but didn't see any signs of bears. Took us 2h20 to get to the lake and 2h to get back. Cliffs at the lake are impressive! Be prepared for all the bugs - there were more mosquitos than I had ever seen in one place before! Fun hike and glad we went!

This trail has everything: Numerous waterfalls, beautiful lake surrounded by vertical mountains, amazing views down the valley. Not much more you could want.
At the start we had to take the Grotto Falls trail. The additional switchbacks add some distance. My gps read 6.5 miles at the lake , 13 back at the parking lot, making it a long walk.

A little more difficult than the waterfall trail but still the kids loved it. Great views.

Stunning views. Easy trail. Have cold beer for the end

Favorite hike in Montana so far. All the waterfalls were amazing. The trail conditions were great. Our feet got wet but we made it all the way to the lake with 3 dogs (one small). Still some snow. Took us 5 hours up. 2 hours back. Overall an easier hike- the distance was hard. 12 miles.

Remarkable hike going up but really tough in a lot of snow (which there was in early June). If you’re willing to climb on all 4s through snow, the views at the top are worth it!

Loved this hike! Be prepared to get a little muddy and wet as the runoff has turned part of the trail into mini streams. Snow starts to appear after mile three and had to turn back at mile four because a the water was moving too fast to safely cross with my dog. If you love waterfalls this a hike for you!

This has to be the most beautiful hike I have ever done! We saw at least 8-10 waterfalls—all with their own unique beauty. Fair warning, there is a lot of mud and the trail is completely snow covered for the last mile or so still. Luckily, we had footprints and this app to use when the footprints ran out. The last pass over the Hyalite creek (between the top waterfall and the second to the top) is completely over flowing and not the safest to cross at the moment. You might be able to cross it if you’re feeling adventurous and don’t have a dog with you like we did. Even though we weren’t able to make it fully to the lake, the views from right below it of the valley are absolutely breath taking! Well worth the wet shoes, socks, and pants. Fair warning, we did fall through snow up to our hip at points. So be prepared!

Recommend: gloves for the top; change of socks and shoes for when you’re done; hiking poles (we didn’t use them and it would have helped!)

The first four miles of the trail are a little muddy, and then trail turns entirely to snow and gets tricky to follow about a mile or so from the lake. Beautiful for hiking if you are willing to get a little damp & snowy, but needs to melt out more before it's good for running all the way up to the lake.

Friday, September 15, 2017

This is a beautiful Hike. We went there near the end of August, and there were only a few muddy spots on the trail. We concentrated on the first 4 waterfalls on the trail, so we didn't make it all the way up to the lake. Next time we will likely skip the falls and head to the lake.

If you're pressed for time, I'd recommend skipping Silken Skein Falls. It is very pretty but it's smaller and it takes a bit to get there. Spend time at Champagne Falls. You can leave the trail and walk up the creek, and spend time at the base of the falls.

Note that the last ~1/2 mile of the trail going back is not the same as the one going in. We had passed the loop to Grotto Falls and started realizing the landmarks were different. But it gets you back to the parking lot just the same.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Worth exploring. Since I biked it I didn't take many of the turn offs to see waterfalls. Trail is very rocky at parts, probably much better trails to MTN Bike in hyalite canyon and around bozeman.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Well worth the hike to the lake. Trail head under renovation so be careful with signs. Splits at Grotto falls trail and heads uphill to the right.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Beautiful :)

Monday, July 17, 2017

Beautiful hike, trail is a workout by, well worth it!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Go out there with friends and have fun, alot of attractive water falls, awesome views. Like it and i will do it again

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Amazing hike. Unfortunately, couldn't make it to the lake (about .3 mi short) due to heavy spring runoff and dangerous water conditions. Large snow fields also hampered our progress. All that being said, you won't find a more beautiful hike.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Very good hike. I broke my shoes in on this one.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

still a lot of snow up there, we made it about halfway up before we turned back because we kept falling up to our waists in it

Monday, November 28, 2016

Pros: Fragrant Fraser forests, lots of beautiful waterfalls, high mountain walls, fast flowing creeks, wildflowers, meadows, easy to moderate grades (but steeper further along)
Cons: Watch for horse droppings, limited parking, changing weather (rain)
Recommendstions: Trekking poles, bear spray, rain gear

Sunday, August 21, 2016

This hike was absolutely gorgeous, many waterfalls just off the trail and some directly on it. The canyon is massive, you get great views of it once you hit the switchbacks just below The lake basin. Next time I will be sure to press up to the peak. The entire trail was very doable in an afternoon but I recommend arriving before lunch time.

Monday, August 15, 2016

This is a 11-12 mile round trip hike!!!!! Be prepared! That's being said, definitely one of he best hikes near Bozeman! 11 waterfalls along the trail leading up to the glaciated mountains surrounding Hyalite Lake! Just amazing! And the views of the canyon as well! Will definitely do this again and make it past the lake and up Hyalite Peak!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

The beautiful waterfalls and canyon views leading to the top can make the final destination a little underwhelming. The lake itself is pretty, but small and shallow, so leave your fishing pole at home. Get more details and photos here: www.montanatrailbriefs.com/hikes/hyalite-lake

Saturday, July 30, 2016

We hiked to the lake early on Sunday AM leaving the trailhead at 0830h. Few people on the trail and lots of shade. Nice views at Lake. On the return, after 1130h, more hikers, more sun. Very enjoyable hike.