Huckleberry Mountain Lookout

Huckleberry Mountain Lookout is a 11.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Apgar, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Park at the Huckleberry Mountain trailhead. The trail starts deceptively easy but then turns into a constant incline. Make sure to plan properly with plenty of water and take snacks and a lunch for the summit. There are great views along the way but I'm not sure the hike to the lookout is worth all the work to get there. The trail is narrow so you'll be going single file. I went Labor Day and Camas road was open. During the hike you could see some of the Howe Ridge fire.

Hiked this a couple weeks ago. It had great views and was the most lightly trafficked trail we did. Overall, it's not terribly difficult, but the very last stretch is up a steeper incline. With how dry the air is, I recommend bringing lots of water.

Great hike. Highly recommend! Moderate climb; overall worth it! Didn’t see too many people. Hard to park as the Going to the Sun was closed and probably brought more people over to this trail. Lots of Hucks!

we did the hike today. We really appreciated its quietness (we just met 15 people along the whole trail) and sighting at the top. I would not classify the hike as hard as it does not have any technical difficulties. The path is easily accessible to all but it is just long (19k). Moderate would be more appropriated. I would definitely recommend it.

Hiked this yesterday 08/04/18. Definitely recommend, it’s a beautiful hike. It took us 3 hours to the top and about 2 down. It’s pretty steep for the first 3/4 of the trail so it holds up its difficulty rating. Saw one black bear in the brush on the way up, and came across more people on the trail than I expected we would. Bring bug spray! The mosquitoes and flies in the beginning are a bother.

Excellent trail. Hiked it on 7/27, hitting the trail at 7:15a. We didn’t see another person until the fire lookout at the top. Gorgeous 360 views, although a bit hazy from wildfires in Oregon/CA. The fire lookout was friendly and showed us around his station. Hike up took about 3 hrs and down about 2.5 hrs. Lot of shade going up due to the time of the day, and about 1/3 shade going down. Probably passed a dozen people on the way down. Great alternative to avoid the crowds on Going to the Sun Road.

I did it today 6/23. pack bug spray very buggy but conditions are good and only 6 people on entire trail.

I did this trail today (6/21) and it was great! It wasn’t too difficult (I’m not in shape at all) but there were lots of bugs for sure. I saw people turn around a mile or so in due to all the mosquitos (they didn’t want to use bug spray). I started at 7am to avoid people and heat. It took a total of 4hrs and 10min. On my way back down between 10-11a, I started seeing a lot of hikers. So if you like your peace and quiet, start out early. Also, there aren’t restrooms at the trailhead so plan accordingly. All in all, beautiful views at the top!

Tough but worth it! Buggy in June.

Did this on June 17, 2018. Pretty much clear of snow except for a few patches on the back side of the saddle (easily passable) but it was really buggy.

Beautiful hike, great views from the top! We encountered significant snow blocking trail 1/2 to 2/3 way up, which slowed our pace. But we were able to reach the lookout with no problems.

Great hike. Steady climb, beautiful views.

Had a great ride with low-hanging clouds that cleared as we reached the lookout. Nice trail, steep in some areas, but well maintained.

Best hike on this side of the park. Amazing views.

Great hike with some nice shade. Fantastic views at the top and had a fun time talking with the fire lookout at the top.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great views from this trail

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Rode this trail June 2016 on horseback. Trail was well maintained. Very few hikers met along the way. Hitching rails at the top. AMAZING views along the way and at the top. Elevation gain was pretty significant but the horses handled it well. The trail is narrow and exposed most of the way so it can be a bit dizzying from horseback. Not a trail I suggest for anyone scared of heights or green horses. We looked out across a valley and saw an airplane below us at one point! We were warned to watch for bears but so none. If you are taking horses, we recommend you get to the trailhead early as parking is limited for trucks and trailers. Stock ramp available at the trail head.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Hiked this trail on 26 June 2016. No snow on trail and only a few muddy spots. 13 miles round trip. Encountered a black bear and cub in the trail. They were as startled as much as we were. Amazing views and a enjoyable hike. Highly recommended

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Great moderate trail - about 5 miles of a nice incline in the forrest then great views once you reach the ridgeline. Huckleberries were abundant in the second week of July and we saw a black bear. Mosquitos got bad as evening approached. Not too many people on the trail compared to other hikes in Glacier.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

This trail begins near McGee Meadows and climbs stepply up the North Bank of McGee Creek through forrest before emerhing above the trees. The trail continues to climb until it reaches the ridgeline, and then turns North, following the crest of Apgar Mountains for 1.5 miles to the manned lookout. From the lookout, the uninterupted forrests of North Fork Valley stretch away to the foot of the snow capped Livingston Range, which dominates the eastern skyline. About 2700 feet elevation gain. Out and back hike.

recorded Huckleberry to Fire tower