Huckleberry Mountain Lookout [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(95)
Glacier National Park

Huckleberry Mountain Lookout is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 11.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,772 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Awesome afternoon hike that rewards you with great views from the lookout. On a clear day you can see all the way to Canada (which is really not all that far but still seems cool for some reason). Some steep stretches toward the end but mostly a gradual incline on the way up. It’s a pretty tight trail but crowds were not a big problem when I hiked it.

Great hike. Obviously it’s mostly uphill to the lookout and downhill on the way back. A bit windy at times but the views were great. Just a little snow on the trail up top but nothing to worry about.

Hiked this trail on 9/21/2019 and missed 2-3 feet of snow that fell the following weekend. Needless to say, be prepared for anything (and I mean anything) weather related while hiking anywhere in Glacier National Park (the cloud cover literally changes every 15 minutes, and you never know what to expect). Without question though, this is the single most beautiful trail that I have ever hiked. The views are mind-blowing, vast, and almost without parallel in the Continental USA. Wildlife abounds (too many to name), but this includes grizzlies (saw one at a distance... luckily because there are many blind turns through the forest for the first 2/3 of this trail where you could spook one for the worse), so make certain to have your bear spray on your hip. All hikes in Glacier are amazing, but I highly recommend this trail if you are trying to avoid the extreme tourist volume as this trail is lessor known and at a more isolated place from Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Hiked this trail 1st weekend of September with two of my girlfriends. We saw 5 other hikers on the trail. Did not encounter any bears. Beautiful trail. Views never end once you get above tree line. Trail well hiked so makes for easy hiking. Only crossed one little creek which had a foot bridge. Gradual climb makes this trail not so difficult. Elizabeth the fire ranger was at the top. It was her last day. She was fabulous and so were the other rangers there closing the station. The view from the top is breath taking. At lunch looking at Canada. Took us 3 hours to get to the top and 2 to get down. Highly recommend this day hike. Take your time at the top to enjoy the views.

Huckleberry's were good. My whole body feels like jelly. According to my watch I climbed 212 flights of stairs.

Amazing hike. Had the pleasure of meeting Elizabeth the Fire Watch ranger at the lookout. Gentle, consistent gradient that still provides a challenge. Last mile to the top is a big push but the reward is well worth it.

Great trail, we just couldn’t see the scenery around us through all the clouds, but as we had lunch at the fire tower the clouds broke up and revealed the amazing sight all around us, and had a great time chatting at the fire tower.

Great moderate trail with gentle climb. The long flat section near the top was a pleasant surprise. 2 brown bears crossed the trail near the top. Amazing 360 degree views and a good chunk of the trail was shaded.

8-17-19 Great day of hiking!! Will definitely do this one again. We saw 28 other hikers, but since we began at 6:30 am we did not encounter until the way down. Elizabeth was not at the lookout, but the hummingbirds were, and kept us entertained while we ate. The views are awesome up there, and the hike was not too bad. Trail is very nice! Huckleberries galore!! We made it back to the car around 12:30 - of course we stopped and picked Huckleberries!! Great hike - we will be back!!

This hike was nice. Lots of huckleberries and cool birds. Wasn't my favorite but worth the hike.

Made it to lookout out in 2 hours. I’m not a fast hiker but only took one break. Not as buggy at start. Lots of trailside huckleberries. Saw one juvenile black bear.

Beautiful views from the top at the fire lookout. Trail is in great condition, isn’t overly trafficked, and is a nice gradual climb.

Great hike! Definitely long, but super worth it. The first ~2 miles were VERY full of mosquitos- so much so that we were happy to have layers covering everything! Once we climbed to higher elevations, bug problems significantly decreased. The hike almost changes every 2 miles, which keeps things fresh and challenging! The panoramic view at the top is breathtaking. So fun to chat with the park guide stationed in the lookout tower at the top. She was friendly and welcoming. Although it’s tough, we would definitely recommend.

Few humans. Smooth trail. Great views at the top. Only a short 4 hours up. If I survive the trek down, it should only be 3 hours.

Awesome for early season! All the snow made it more interesting than the actual hike . Did it a while back

Hiked this trail yesterday with friends, wildflowers were beautiful along the path. Views at the top were quite foggy when we got up there but cleared out within 20 minutes and the scenery was gorgeous. No snow on trail. It wasn't strenuous but gave a good enough challenge if you're not used to the mountains.

Somewhat buggy, but beautiful trail. Lookout station and privy at trail end. Patches of snow along last mile.

Wed May 08 2019

Awesome hike. Started around 1100. Finished around 1700. The trail is in good condition for the first 3 miles. Snow covered beyond that with snow about 1-2 feet deep. It is possible to continue another 1 1/2 miles in snow. However the snow gets about 3-4 feet deep about a mile away from the lookout. Lots of bear tracks and wolf tracks on the trail. Did not see any animals though. However, they are there! Bring your bear spray with you.

Wed Oct 10 2018

great hike. snow towards the top but we had a nice fall morning. not tough but constant incline for most of the way up.

Mon Oct 08 2018

beatuiful colors and amazing 360 views! an all seasons hike in early october--summer sun and winter snow!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Park at the Huckleberry Mountain trailhead. The trail starts deceptively easy but then turns into a constant incline. Make sure to plan properly with plenty of water and take snacks and a lunch for the summit. There are great views along the way but I'm not sure the hike to the lookout is worth all the work to get there. The trail is narrow so you'll be going single file. I went Labor Day and Camas road was open. During the hike you could see some of the Howe Ridge fire.

Tue Aug 21 2018

Hiked this a couple weeks ago. It had great views and was the most lightly trafficked trail we did. Overall, it's not terribly difficult, but the very last stretch is up a steeper incline. With how dry the air is, I recommend bringing lots of water.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Great hike. Highly recommend! Moderate climb; overall worth it! Didn’t see too many people. Hard to park as the Going to the Sun was closed and probably brought more people over to this trail. Lots of Hucks!

Wed Aug 08 2018

we did the hike today. We really appreciated its quietness (we just met 15 people along the whole trail) and sighting at the top. I would not classify the hike as hard as it does not have any technical difficulties. The path is easily accessible to all but it is just long (19k). Moderate would be more appropriated. I would definitely recommend it.

Sun Aug 05 2018

Hiked this yesterday 08/04/18. Definitely recommend, it’s a beautiful hike. It took us 3 hours to the top and about 2 down. It’s pretty steep for the first 3/4 of the trail so it holds up its difficulty rating. Saw one black bear in the brush on the way up, and came across more people on the trail than I expected we would. Bring bug spray! The mosquitoes and flies in the beginning are a bother.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Excellent trail. Hiked it on 7/27, hitting the trail at 7:15a. We didn’t see another person until the fire lookout at the top. Gorgeous 360 views, although a bit hazy from wildfires in Oregon/CA. The fire lookout was friendly and showed us around his station. Hike up took about 3 hrs and down about 2.5 hrs. Lot of shade going up due to the time of the day, and about 1/3 shade going down. Probably passed a dozen people on the way down. Great alternative to avoid the crowds on Going to the Sun Road.

Mon Jun 25 2018

I did it today 6/23. pack bug spray very buggy but conditions are good and only 6 people on entire trail.

Thu Jun 21 2018

I did this trail today (6/21) and it was great! It wasn’t too difficult (I’m not in shape at all) but there were lots of bugs for sure. I saw people turn around a mile or so in due to all the mosquitos (they didn’t want to use bug spray). I started at 7am to avoid people and heat. It took a total of 4hrs and 10min. On my way back down between 10-11a, I started seeing a lot of hikers. So if you like your peace and quiet, start out early. Also, there aren’t restrooms at the trailhead so plan accordingly. All in all, beautiful views at the top!

Thu Jun 21 2018

Tough but worth it! Buggy in June.