Highline Trail - Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet

Highline Trail - Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet is a 14.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Mc Donald, Montana that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 14.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,578 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

Breath taking views. If you start from Logan pass it’s a climb down and you can finish off by resting by the glacier water run off.

Completed 7/25/2019. Beautiful weather, landscape, wildlife, and wildflowers. Detour up to Grinnell Glacier is very worth the intense quads workout. We parked at the hook and took the shuttle up to the start of the trail. Waited an hour for the shuttle, but saw a black bear while waiting.

Thankfully they had just opened the trail back up the day I was ready to hike it. Such a beautiful view down into the park.

One of the many great trails in Glacier, definitely worth committing a day to the hike, but not the #1 hike in the park (my opinion). Bring layers as weather can change quickly, sufficient water/snacks, and ensure you’re prepared for a potential bear encounter (bear spray and know how to use it).

Good trail but not #1 in glacier

this was a beautiful hike I would recommend it it did have bears on the trail so bearspray is highly recommend

Great hike, went to haystack pass and turned around, (no time to go to loop and wait for shuttle), others ahead of us saw grizzly and cub and a group was chased by mama bear, scary. Saw mountain goats up high. Views are amazing, trail is relatively easy, gentle grade, but the look down tested my fear of heights (yup, still afraid). Another beautiful trail in a gorgeous area.

This was an amazing experience from start to finish. We were slightly off season on a rainy Friday morning, so when we got to Logan Pass around 8:30 there were still parking spots. Plenty of them. Like half. But a parade of cars on GTTS road would fill them soon. I have a crippling fear of heights, but recently hiked the Grand Canyon and that helped prepare me for this one. The cable section wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. Grand Canyon is much worse (no cables there!). Didn’t even need to hold on...the path was wide and clear enough the whole way, and it wasn’t that long before it opened up and height wasn’t really a concern. Yes, you’re high on the mountain, but it’s not like you’re on the edge of a steep precipice the entire way. Just don’t look while you’re walking if height is a concern and focus on the trail...it’s really not that bad. But definitely stop and look along the way or you’ll miss the best part about this trail: the views are majestic! Paths are fairly well maintained, with the exception of the Garden Wall path which takes you up to the Grinnell Glacier Overlook. That trail is a real beast and not to be taken lightly. The grade is much steeper, and the path not really maintained at all, as far as we could tell. We even lost sight of it a few times on our descent, as you’re basically climbing up through a littered minefield of broken multi-colored stone and slate. It was other-worldly. Everyone says the view from the top is worth it, though, and you will wonder how this can be true the ENTIRE way up. I almost turned back a few times as the ascent is a long, arduous process. A few folks estimated it would be 45 minutes up and back. Turned out to be a longer trip than that for us, as in the rain it was even slower and more tedious. The top does afford a magnificent view of the glacier...a perspective unlike what you get from the Grinnell Glacier Trail (the only hike we enjoyed more than Highline). Is it worth it? Sure...but who’s going to say it isn’t after making it all the way up? If you don’t make it, don’t lament...just do the Grinnell Glacier Trail and see it close up. The entirety of that hike was even more rewarding. After the Garden Wall, just before reaching the Chalet, a bear was spotted on the trail ahead of us. It was in close proximity to a pair of hikers who we’d been leapfrogging all day. They waited and watched as it turned slowly and ambled up the mountainside. We snapped a few pics of it from a distance as it climbed higher and higher, becoming a dot in the distance. Needless to say, this run-in had us making a lot of noise the rest of the way down. We stopped briefly in the Chalet to change our clothes and dry off, as it had been raining much of the morning. But we didn’t stay long as the last shuttle would be leaving the Loop at 4:30 and we didn’t want to risk missing it. It’s a long, winding 2-hour descent to the Loop from the Chalet, but a welcome change of muscular motion after hours walking the upper reaches. It was also a beautiful change of scenery, flush with flora in every direction and the sounds of wildlife chirping and chattering from just beside the sloped, rocky trail. This is a demanding hike for its distance, and the Garden Wall makes it among our more strenuous adventures for its steep, rocky ascent. I was pleased to have completed it, even if I had some sore, tired legs the next day. An incredible experience, and certainly one I’d recommend to anyone cut out for it.

Incredible views pretty much the entire way!! Not many opportunities/places to step of trail for a quick bio break though until you get to the chateau - just have to be quick, lol!! Absolutely worth it though - and do the trail to Grinnell Glacier Overlook

Highly recommend this trail for the views and a good challenge. :) My husband and I were here on Sept 1 (Labor Day weekend). Lots of people on the trail, so safety in numbers in grizzly country. Started at Logan Pass. The trail went straight into the cliff ledge stretch that I was super nervous for. If you have a fear of heights or falling, this worked for me: I held onto the rope, looked straight in front of me, and did not look down or out to see the view. I kept busy talking to the person in front of me, and before I knew it the “scary” part was over. Not bad! We continued on the beautiful trail, stopped at 3.6 miles at Haystack Pass and enjoyed panoramic views. This trail is gorgeous! There was a small stretch along the Garden Wall (still on the main Highline trail, not the Garden Wall Trail), where my fear of heights made for a very slow and awkward hike. I felt uneasy being so close to some drop offs on a narrow part of the trail, especially with a few sections that had us hiking downward. Luckily someone lent me a hiking pole that helped provide stability and confidence. That was a big help! The Chalet had public bathrooms with toilet paper! The hiking pole was again helpful for the 4 mile downhill to The Loop simply for the added stability. No scary drop offs here. Overall, awesome experience! Make sure you bring more water than you think you’ll need, plenty of food, sunscreen, and consider hiking poles for added stability. Don’t let a fear of heights stop you! A must do hike in Glacier National Park!

I have hiked in many national parks. This was my first hike in Glacier and I loved it. We hiked from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet and spent the night. Then we hiked down the Loop trail to the shuttle bus stop the next day. The Highline Trail was not hard but at nearly 8 miles, it can be tedious for some just due to length. The views are magnificent. We had morning fog banks, then clearing to blue skies. We saw 5 big horn sheep about 20 feet from the trail. There were marmots and a white mountain goat far in the distance below. On the second day as we just left the chalet to start our hike out, we saw a grizzly bear about 40 yards from us in the trees that walked out into a clearing. We froze and he kept moving away and uphill. Just then a mule train arrived and we left downhill. Many hikers on all trails have slammed the 4 mile loop hike as boring and unrelenting. We found it awesome in heavy evergreens and forest fauna with changing ecosystems. The view got better as the river and waterfall came into better focus. Tough on thighs, knees and calves for at least 80% of the time. The bridge over the waterfall at the end was a welcome sight. For me, at age 60, it would have been very tough to hike the whole 11+ mile distance in one day.

This hike was severely overrated compared to other nice hikes in Glacier, Banff, Yoho, etc. You see the same things from the Going to the Sun Road. I suppose it's amazing for people coming from the heartlands, but I personally preferred the likes of the Avalanche Lake hike.

Amazing views however if u have any fear of heights it’s terrifying. The part where you hold on to cable had me rather stressed

This trail was absolutely amazing. Highline is an understatement. Really high up! If you don’t like heights I would pass. Beautiful view of Glacier mountains.

Great hike, scary if you don’t like heights. Don’t need to do the whole hike to enjoy it, we did 8 miles round trip to the haystack pass.

While the views from Highline Trail are certainly expansive and beautiful, I could not enjoy it nearly as much as Iceberg Trail for example since I was constantly worried about my wife or I falling off the trail. As other reviewers have noted, if you have issues with heights at a minimum the first 1+ miles are going to be difficult for you. I think for those that rate this really high on their list it is because of the expansive views and the thrill of walking an edge trail must be enjoyable for them.

Amazing!

Beautiful hike but the views are pretty similar to what you get driving along the road. It was nice that it was a one-way Hike and that allowed you to cover more trail and take the shuttle back to Logan pass. We also added on the grinnel glacier overlook and it was a TOUGH 1 mile add-on! It was super windy up there but a really awesome view of upper grinnel lake (which we had done that hike the previously day so it was cool to get a different perspective!). Definitely bring plenty of water. The loop is all downhill and pretty hard on your knees for 4 miles. I’m not sure I would rate the hike as hard, maybe for the length but I don’t think the trail was I really difficult.

Mixed feeling on this hike. Great views but at the same time pretty much the same as you get from the road. Nevertheless the views are great. The hike itself is what I’d call moderate. My only other tip would be if you are afraid of heights be prepared for the first mile.

Amazing. Don’t know why this is a loop when most people take the shuttle back. Last shuttles leave around 6:30. Tons of people willing to pick up hitchhikers.

I was a little disappointed in this trail just because the views are pretty much the same as you get while on the road. I went to the chalet and there was nothing any different than the entire trail to see. I hiked a little more up to the glacier trail , and that was amazing ! About 1 mile before the chalet, turn right and go up .6miles and you can see a glacier and some lakes. That was worth the hike! Also saw tons of marmots , a long horn ram, and a mountain goat. The ram was 10 ft from the trail ! Also I started at 9am Tuesday morning , got one of the last parking spots. The first 4 miles of the trail had people everywhere , I passed probably 300 people before I got the the chalet. Hard to enjoy the nature with so many people in your personal space. Still a great trail though !

Big views! We hiked Logan Pass to the loop with the additional very steep side trail to the Grinnell Glacier Overlook, and it was big views all the way until the last 4 miles down to the Loop after Granite Park Chalet. But they were the same big views you get from the Going to the Sun Road, which we had driven several times by then. It was a very long way to see what we had seen before, so for that reason I only give it 4 stars. I preferred the Grinnell Glacier hike, which I found more scenic, and enjoyable. That said, my hubby loved this one. The side trail up to the Grinnell Glacier overlook was super steep, and made this a 14 mile hike, with the last 4 miles through boring forest, so I wouldn't do it again. It was very windy at the top of the overlook, so you couldn't actually hike up the very last bit for the best view, but still a cool view from up there. Not sure it was worth the extra killer very steep 3 miles.

LOVED this hike. We started at Logan's Pass and came out at Crystal Point. The view is stunning the entire time. We came across a grizzly and a big horn sheep. We had to back track a 1/4 mile to let the grizzly have his space but it was well worth it. We were able to meet some great people on the trail and take in the wildlife and scenery. Beautiful day! Yathzee!

amazing trail, distance is well worth it. gorgeous scenery all around.

Great hike. This is definitely a moderate hike and not as easy as people make it seem. Just because there is a ton of people that do this hike doesn’t mean it’s a cake walk. Trail ranged from being crowded to very crowded. If you have the time and are prepared this hike is totally worth it. We are staying at the chalet and saw quite a few people stagger in looking pretty rough.