EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Highline Trail

Highline Trail is a 28.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Browning, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

One of the best trails I have ever been on. Get to the park early and park at Logan Pass. Grab the shuttle back up. The last 4 miles are in full sun with no shade. Stop at the Granite Chalet if you need water or Gatorade, bring cash.

Climbed, went awwwwww! Hard day.
Started the hike from the Logan pass parking lot. Needed to arrive by 7:15 AM in order to secure parking. Headed out immediately onto the trail. Very busy so want to start as early as possible. The hike is just totally awesome all the way through to the chalet. Once leaving the chalet it is a 4 mile fully sun exposed hike to the shuttle stop. You will want to double your water if you going to do this hike in the summer.

On Sunday My husband dropped me off at Logan Pass. I was on the trail at 8 am. Spectacular views.the whole Highline Trail to the chalet. Went up Glacier Overlook. I took many breaks coming up. None coming down. Very windy at the overlook. I saw 1 goat and three deer. Got to chalet at 1 pm. I purchased a Gatorade at the chalet and used the pit toilet. A woman 15 minutes ahead of me on the Loop Trail saw a bear. The people ahead of me periodically whooped and yelled “here bear”. I did not see a bear.
I got to the Going to the Sun Road at 2:50 pm, just as a shuttle bus went by. The shuttle buses were only taking 2 people at a time and there were over 10 people in line, in full sun. The line moved more due to people hitch hiking than due to shuttle buses. After waiting an hour, an off duty ranger asked the group a few questions. Then suggested that one person per group get on the shuttle. Then drive their car from Logan Pass to the Loop and pick up the rest of their group. The next shuttle to arrive took 12 people. . .

Amazing hike, especially early in the morning. I hit the trailhead at 6:15 and was the first on the trail. Saw tons of sheep and some goats later on. Breathtaking views.

We hiked the Highline Trail on August 28. We weren’t planning on hiking all the way to Haystack Butte. We really didn’t know what that was. Wish we had. From what I can understand now, Haystack Butte is the switchback at that takes you up and over the mountain for a overhead view of Grinnell Glacier Lake. I couldn’t convince my husband to do the switchback. He and I both regretted it!
The hike on this trail is awesome! I have never seen such amazing views! We hiked Hidden Lake trail to the overlook first and then crossed over GTTSR to the Highline Trail. We were definitely intimidated by the cables and the height at the beginning of the trail, but you get used to it. At one point we had to back down the trail, there was a male goat on the trail and he was eating coming our direction. So, the only choice was to watch him eat until he decided to move higher up the mountain. We also saw a female goat and her calf close to the end near the road when we were finished.
Hike this trail but get to Logan’s Pass early for parking and bring more water than you think you need. The hike to the Butte is long and tiring but the view at the overlook was amazing I’m sure. But even if you don’t make it to the Butte switchback the views of the mountains and valley is breathtaking!

One of the most amazing things I've ever done. We did this 4 days ago. We parked at Loop parking lot to catch shuttle. That was a mistake because we were about 24th in line for the shuttle to Logan Pass. So we didn't get on the trail until 9:30. The shuttle driver told us they purposely only take two or three at a time because the Highline trail gets saturated. However, there was one shuttle that came empty from Logan Pass that took 12 up at one time. My husband wasn't as in shape as he needed to be so by the time we got over the main pass with the snow caps he was pretty tired. I was carrying a much too heavy back pack at 30 lbs. Live and learn what you really need but it was for both of us. It was also pretty hot and we were drinking more water than expected. We refilled our water bottles on a snow melt right around 4 miles into the trail. We stayed the night at the Chalet and loved it!! I wanted to hike up to Grinnell Glacier but not alone because of the Grizzly bears and my husband was too tired to make it. There is free potable water from the park service .25 miles behind the Chalet on an easy trail and they also sell water for $5.50 2 liter bottles. We hiked down the Granite Park Chalet trail to the loop parking lot the next morning and passed the pack mules on their way taking supplies to the Chalet. I loved both trails.

LOVED this hike!! We parked and started at Logan Pass and hiked to the Loop and then took the shuttle back. We started around 7:30 AM, which was great because there were fewer people and it was much cooler. This hike is gorgeous throughout. We added on the Glacier Overlook, which was a lot of work, but worth it! Really appreciated the trail etiquette on this hike. Would definitely recommend this trail and would love to do it again! Be sure to pack extra water to plan to wait for the shuttle. They have specific shuttles that solely go back and forth between Logan Pass and the Loop to pick up hikers, but on a crowded day, you could end up waiting for awhile.

My family actually ran /jogged this trail which I thought was crazy. I walked it. It is not a recommended trail if you have younger children. It has extreme drop off from trail and would not be worth the anxiety. There were plenty of older adults. Great views and the trails height and drop off is pretty thrilling. I saw one mountain goat just chilling. The flowers were beautiful. I just hike 45 min out and turned around. I saw two waterfalls. Was pleasant overall but not my favorite hike in Glacier as I like a water destination however my husband loved it.

Stunning trail. We did the Logan loop which wasn’t quite as long. More like 20km.
Parked at Logan pass and hiked down to the loop, then hitchhiked back. (The shuttle service was not running very regularly.)
The glacier overlook is not to be missed!! Adds an extra 2-3 km to your day.

This was, by far, the best trail I've ever hiked. It wasn't easy, but it was totally worth it. So much beauty and every different kind of terrain that Glacier has to offer. We saw a lot of marmots, but that was it for the wildlife. We started out around 7am after reading other reviews regarding the parking situation at Logan's Pass. We stopped and ate our lunch at the chalet. Awesome people and a much needed break. Then we continued on the Loop to the end. The Loop was ugly. Just rocky and not very pretty. I was initially excited about the decline, but the excitement ended fast because it was just rough. Although it was worth it to finish. Definitely hike this trail!

Chances for lots of wildlife!

Did about 2.5 miles in from Logan Pass and then turned around. Never had plans of going straight thru. Very scenic. Saw a heard of Big Horn sheep and a mountain goat

This is an awesome trail. Got there by 7:45am and the parking lot at Logan Pass was almost full. Lots of folks hiking this one. Leave your heavy bags at home and only take the bare essentials. Definitely a trail for bear spray / bear bells. Saw 3 mountain goats and a ram, remember there are people on the trail but you're in the wilderness! If you fly in, bear spray is 2 cans for 42.99+ at the Safeway in Whitefish. Saw an older local man open carry a revolver on his hip which reinforced the seriousness of the trail for me. Gorgeous hike. First part of the trail is not for those afraid of heights, saw several families with younger kids turn back.

Spectacular views. We hit the trail at 6:30a on July 23. Saw a big grizzly about 100 yards below the trail, probably a 1/4 mile before Garden Wall. A lot of hikers behind us - gotta hit this one early or you’ll be in a crowd.

Very scenic hike. Hard due to elevation gain, uneven footing and exposed narrow trails cut into side of mountain

Hike is good. Best part of it is the extra mile to Grinnel Glacier overview.
High traffic, start before 7:15am if you want to beat the crowd.
Not a single berry on the whole trail so bear danger is close to none.(mid July).

Views are outrageous, felt constantly like I was going to fall off the side of the cliff. Switchbacks were rough but doable. The end finishes with four miles of downhill and that was the worst part. We are pretty proud of ourselves for finishing

Long, exposed, dry, and, to me, outside of the views a real trudge. The views are wonderful but can be had elsewhere in the park on less gruelling hikes. Due to fire the lower half of the usual hike down to The Loop is also dry and exposed. Using the shuttles to go either way is frustrating as they are almost always full going up in the morning and full going down in the afternoon. Despite popular opinion, skip this one and hike from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge instead.

Possibly top 3 hikes in the US. Wild life everywhere and not a terribly difficult hike with views every step of he way.

Fantastic run! We had to turn back about 11 miles in due to a steep snowfield that was impassable still. but gorgeous run. Highly recommend.

hiked on 7/9
We took one of the first shuttles out of apgar (if you can, get on a shuttle asap, lines get busy and crowded fast). From there we started at Logan Pass, traveling to the Grinnell Glacier overlook (absolute must see, thigh burner but worth it!) Once you get to the end of the overlook trail you may climb up a few more hills (at your own risk, trails are not marked but many people still climb up them) to gain a better vantage point for pictures. After that we hiked to the Chalet where we ate lunch and took a break. Finally we walked down to the loop (very big elevation drop). The loop shuttle stop was very crowded, I recommend trying to get there as early as possible. Overall one of the best hikes I've ever been on. Pictures from the Grinnell Glacier overlook rival those from my havasupai trip! If in glacier, it's a must see!

best hike i’ve ever done. i was sceptical reading the reviews at first but it’s absolutely incredible. if you have one day in glacier, do this - you won’t be disappointed.

wouldn’t categorise it as difficult, although the descent from the chalet to the loop car park is hard on the knees after awhile. “heavily trafficked” was still fine, nowhere near as crowded as i expected. plenty of time with only us in sight. start early to avoid the heat of the day for the last 4 miles, which offer little in the way of shade.

Amazing views from the trail. Hiked early July. Started at Logan Pass, ran into some snow patches along the way but nothing a good pair of boots cannot manage. I hiked up the additional 0.6 miles to the glacier overlook. Toughest part of the whole hike. Very steep but the views! Oh my the views of both sides of the divide were all worth it! Do it if you have the time. I descended via to the loop trail head after stopping at the Chalet for lunch. Highly recommend this trail. I'll do it again.

If anyone would like to do the highline hike tomorrow 07/10 and would like some extra company...I'm hiking by myself and would love to hike with others. 949-573-5884!

We didn't do the entire route, but hiked from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet for an overnight stay and then hiked the same route back. One of the top 2-3 hikes I've ever done. It blew my mind even enveloped in the haze of forest fires. Can't wait to go back and do it with clear skies where it'll look more beautiful (and be easier to breathe.)

We hiked on 7/5/2018. This is the greatest hike for day hikers in the park!
1. Route: I started from the Logan pass, took the garden trail/ highline trail, detoured at the 7 mile to Grinnell glacier overlook (out &back), passed by the Granite Park Chalet, and ended up at the trail head of the loop.
For who wants to take the same route, search highline trail to Granite Park in this APP.
2.Great view: you will pass snow, bushes, water falls, pine forest, meadows and creeks.
3. Location of the detour to Grinnell Glacier overlook: The overlook is 7 miles from Logan pass down and 4 miles with 2k elevation gain from the trail head of the loop. The trail to the overlook is 0.6 mile one-way with elevation gain of 1000ft, very strenuous.
4. Gears: We did not use hiking poles but it is recommended if you want to go to the overlook. The road up to the overlook is steep and narrow.
5. Road conditions: some part of the trail was covered by snow and water.
6. Wear: most people end up short sleeves w/ long sleeves carried w them.
7. Water: bring at least 2L water per person.
8. Commute: if you take the shuttle from Apgar Village, you have to get off the shuttle at Avalanche Creek Shuttle Stop to transfer to small size shuttle to get to Logan pass. It took us TWO hours to commute by shuttle bus from Apgar village to Logan pass. The large shuttle takes about 23-24 people (leave 4 seats for people from other stops) and small shuttle takes 14-15 persons from Avalanche to Logan pass. I had to wait for the second shuttle for both locations.

Easily the most majestic, beautiful trail we’ve done in the US! It starts with a cliff section that isn’t for the faint-of-heart with breathtaking views and lots of wildlife. An entire herd(Ranger said it was a large herd) of Bighorn sheep started us off. Great photos of those. Then a mountain goat came down from wayyy up the mountain and decided it was his trail. We were stopped for 10 mins waiting til he moved off. An experienced hiker took the lead and used her raincoat to shoo him away, although he did it reluctantly.
The trail goes on, sporting unbelievable 360 degree best-views-ever for miles and miles over snow banks, in large bowls with lots of marmots and pika and varying wildflower meadows and stands of evergreens. We met a couple from Maryland who we passed the time with for the last 7 miles. Switchbacks, long gradual sloping sections and some steeper sections all the way to the Chalet went on, where we took a RR break and snack break. The last section is a tough 4 mile descent through thick new-growth forest in the hot july sun with little cover. That felt like forever, with little stunning views and drudgery. We arrived at the Loop with great satisfaction and relief 7 hrs later, whooped and satisfied. On to Iceberg Lake tomorrow!

Did the Logan trailhead to the loop today. Easily the most beautiful hike I’ve ever done. Wooded trails quickly turn into snowy adventures. The best hike I’ve ever been on. A must if you visit glacier

We did the hike starting at the Logan’s Visitor Center and ended at The Loop. The trail length is about 13 miles total but is well worth the hike. We saw a lot of big horns, marmots and mountain goats. Didn’t see any bears but did hear of a few people who had seen them before. The views are like nothing else I have ever seen before and would say this was possibly the best hike in the park.

Must make time to do at least a portion of this icon!