Highline Trail

Highline Trail is a 28.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Browning, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

Hike is good. Best part of it is the extra mile to Grinnel Glacier overview.
High traffic, start before 7:15am if you want to beat the crowd.
Not a single berry on the whole trail so bear danger is close to none.(mid July).

Views are outrageous, felt constantly like I was going to fall off the side of the cliff. Switchbacks were rough but doable. The end finishes with four miles of downhill and that was the worst part. We are pretty proud of ourselves for finishing

Going to this hike Friday 7/19 or Saturday 7/20! Female solo hiker if anyone else would like company or dosent mind one more to add to a group feel free to text or call 9188431335.

Long, exposed, dry, and, to me, outside of the views a real trudge. The views are wonderful but can be had elsewhere in the park on less gruelling hikes. Due to fire the lower half of the usual hike down to The Loop is also dry and exposed. Using the shuttles to go either way is frustrating as they are almost always full going up in the morning and full going down in the afternoon. Despite popular opinion, skip this one and hike from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge instead.

Possibly top 3 hikes in the US. Wild life everywhere and not a terribly difficult hike with views every step of he way.

Fantastic run! We had to turn back about 11 miles in due to a steep snowfield that was impassable still. but gorgeous run. Highly recommend.

hiked on 7/9
We took one of the first shuttles out of apgar (if you can, get on a shuttle asap, lines get busy and crowded fast). From there we started at Logan Pass, traveling to the Grinnell Glacier overlook (absolute must see, thigh burner but worth it!) Once you get to the end of the overlook trail you may climb up a few more hills (at your own risk, trails are not marked but many people still climb up them) to gain a better vantage point for pictures. After that we hiked to the Chalet where we ate lunch and took a break. Finally we walked down to the loop (very big elevation drop). The loop shuttle stop was very crowded, I recommend trying to get there as early as possible. Overall one of the best hikes I've ever been on. Pictures from the Grinnell Glacier overlook rival those from my havasupai trip! If in glacier, it's a must see!

best hike i’ve ever done. i was sceptical reading the reviews at first but it’s absolutely incredible. if you have one day in glacier, do this - you won’t be disappointed.

wouldn’t categorise it as difficult, although the descent from the chalet to the loop car park is hard on the knees after awhile. “heavily trafficked” was still fine, nowhere near as crowded as i expected. plenty of time with only us in sight. start early to avoid the heat of the day for the last 4 miles, which offer little in the way of shade.

Amazing views from the trail. Hiked early July. Started at Logan Pass, ran into some snow patches along the way but nothing a good pair of boots cannot manage. I hiked up the additional 0.6 miles to the glacier overlook. Toughest part of the whole hike. Very steep but the views! Oh my the views of both sides of the divide were all worth it! Do it if you have the time. I descended via to the loop trail head after stopping at the Chalet for lunch. Highly recommend this trail. I'll do it again.

If anyone would like to do the highline hike tomorrow 07/10 and would like some extra company...I'm hiking by myself and would love to hike with others. 949-573-5884!

We didn't do the entire route, but hiked from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet for an overnight stay and then hiked the same route back. One of the top 2-3 hikes I've ever done. It blew my mind even enveloped in the haze of forest fires. Can't wait to go back and do it with clear skies where it'll look more beautiful (and be easier to breathe.)

We hiked on 7/5/2018. This is the greatest hike for day hikers in the park!
1. Route: I started from the Logan pass, took the garden trail/ highline trail, detoured at the 7 mile to Grinnell glacier overlook (out &back), passed by the Granite Park Chalet, and ended up at the trail head of the loop.
For who wants to take the same route, search highline trail to Granite Park in this APP.
2.Great view: you will pass snow, bushes, water falls, pine forest, meadows and creeks.
3. Location of the detour to Grinnell Glacier overlook: The overlook is 7 miles from Logan pass down and 4 miles with 2k elevation gain from the trail head of the loop. The trail to the overlook is 0.6 mile one-way with elevation gain of 1000ft, very strenuous.
4. Gears: We did not use hiking poles but it is recommended if you want to go to the overlook. The road up to the overlook is steep and narrow.
5. Road conditions: some part of the trail was covered by snow and water.
6. Wear: most people end up short sleeves w/ long sleeves carried w them.
7. Water: bring at least 2L water per person.
8. Commute: if you take the shuttle from Apgar Village, you have to get off the shuttle at Avalanche Creek Shuttle Stop to transfer to small size shuttle to get to Logan pass. It took us TWO hours to commute by shuttle bus from Apgar village to Logan pass. The large shuttle takes about 23-24 people (leave 4 seats for people from other stops) and small shuttle takes 14-15 persons from Avalanche to Logan pass. I had to wait for the second shuttle for both locations.

Easily the most majestic, beautiful trail we’ve done in the US! It starts with a cliff section that isn’t for the faint-of-heart with breathtaking views and lots of wildlife. An entire herd(Ranger said it was a large herd) of Bighorn sheep started us off. Great photos of those. Then a mountain goat came down from wayyy up the mountain and decided it was his trail. We were stopped for 10 mins waiting til he moved off. An experienced hiker took the lead and used her raincoat to shoo him away, although he did it reluctantly.
The trail goes on, sporting unbelievable 360 degree best-views-ever for miles and miles over snow banks, in large bowls with lots of marmots and pika and varying wildflower meadows and stands of evergreens. We met a couple from Maryland who we passed the time with for the last 7 miles. Switchbacks, long gradual sloping sections and some steeper sections all the way to the Chalet went on, where we took a RR break and snack break. The last section is a tough 4 mile descent through thick new-growth forest in the hot july sun with little cover. That felt like forever, with little stunning views and drudgery. We arrived at the Loop with great satisfaction and relief 7 hrs later, whooped and satisfied. On to Iceberg Lake tomorrow!

Did the Logan trailhead to the loop today. Easily the most beautiful hike I’ve ever done. Wooded trails quickly turn into snowy adventures. The best hike I’ve ever been on. A must if you visit glacier

We did the hike starting at the Logan’s Visitor Center and ended at The Loop. The trail length is about 13 miles total but is well worth the hike. We saw a lot of big horns, marmots and mountain goats. Didn’t see any bears but did hear of a few people who had seen them before. The views are like nothing else I have ever seen before and would say this was possibly the best hike in the park.

Must make time to do at least a portion of this icon!

Loved this hike from Logan Pass to The Loop. Stopped for lunch at Granite Park Chalet. Can’t wait to hike this trail again.

yes, do this hike.

simply stated....gorgeous!

Amazing views. The last couple miles of the hike was burnt Forrest so glaring sun but overall spectacular!

Loved this hike. Went all the way from Logan's Pass to Glacier - 17 miles. A variety of views and challenges. Saw 2 grizzlies at a safe distance. Also saw mountain goats, ptarmgans, and moose.

Did the Garden Wall section between Logan Pass and The Loop. If we are in Glacier again this I would do again. From the Granite Park Chalet to The Loop we were in a cold pouring down rain. I would hope for clear skys if there is a re-do. I love this hike. The views are beyond description!

I took the hiker’s non-stop shuttle from Apgar Village which arrived at Logan’s Pass around 8:00 am. I hit the trail at 8:20 and made it to the Loop around 4:00 and grabbed a shuttle back down to Apgar Village. The views were spectacular. The wild flowers were absolutely beautiful.

Beautiful hike in August

One of my favorite in glacier national park! I would recommend doing it from Logan’s Pass & working down. The views are amazing, being able to see the whole valley & the vast scenery of the whole park is worth the distance! Nightly recommend!

Hiked this back in July. Amazing hike with great views as a good length of the trail is along the side of the mountain with the valley and Going to the Sun Rd below. Shuttled up to Logan Pass and then hiked back to the car that way.

There’s a short path a little over half way through that goes up to the Grinnell Glacier overlook. Would definitely recommend this but while the hike is short, the elevation gain is pretty tough at this point. If starting from Logan Pass, there’s a nice little stream/watering hole near the end of the trail that was wonderful to sit in after doing the hike.

One of the coolest hikes I've ever completed. I did a short out and back day hike with my parents while visiting Glacier. Highly recommend to anyone visiting the park to at least spend a couple hours hiking the highline...Cannot wait to get back to Glacier!

Amazing hike!

We hiked this trail in back in August and it was beautiful! Very hot that time of year so definitely make sure to bring enough water. Lots of colorful flowers! Relatively easy and flat until the last downhill portion. That was pretty relentless. Parking was a pain, so if you want a good spot make sure to get there plenty early! Was an awesome trail overall!

One if the pretties hikes I've ever been on. The views in the morning light were amazing along with the blue flowers growing out of the rocks that the mountain goats were climbing. I feels so lucky to of been able to see the Sperry Chalet before it was burned down. It was so cool inside. I recommend not starting at Logan pass but at the loop a going though the burn area last was awful in the hot sun my cousin almost had a heatstroke and the beautiful waterfall with crystal clear water was a life saver. Soaked in lake McDonald to finish up the perfect day.