Highline Trail

Highline Trail is a 38.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

We chose to park at the Loop Trail parking lot and rode the free shuttle to Logan Pass, which we highly recommend because you then hike back to your car. About 1/2 a mile short of the Granite Park Challet, there is an optional .6 mile each way there and back calf burner that allows views of the other side that are spectacular. A large glacier, I believe called Grinnell, or something similarly named, that forms an incredible blue-green lake. Well worth the strenuous climb. This hike ranks as one of my favorite of all time. Highly recommend.

From Logan Pass to Chalet is stunning. From Chalet down to Loop in the heat requires more water than you might expect. Haul it, buy it, or go out and back to Logan if it is hot. But go. Nothing like this trail.

Hiked from Logan Pass to the Granite Chalet and down the loop trail to Going to the Sun Road where I hitched a ride on the shuttle back to Logan pass. It was 11.6 miles (if I remember right, could be 11.2 mi), and it was beautiful. I went alone and met a family about a mile in that took me in and gave me fruit snacks for the rest of the hike. Some of the hike had me dying for breath, but some of hit had me dying for water. I ran out of water at granite chalet, I had brought 2 liters in a platypus water bladder, and theirs costs $5 a bottle, so I decided I'd be okay with out it. Little did I know, the loop trail goes through an entire burn section. Although it was an interesting change in land scape, I wish I had had water for that. Incredible way to spend your day. Be prepared to get out of your tent sore the next morning!

We took our kids to Haystack Butte and back from Logan Pass. The hike is beautiful and pretty flat. We saw a mountain goat family! The cliff part at the beginning is not as scary as the guide book made it seem. You can hold onto the rope for comfort.

Fabulous hike! Logan Pass parking was full by 8am, so we had to park in the overflow parking lot below. It was extremely busy until we hit haystack, then people started to thin out. We had lunch at the chalet, but again, there were a lot of people outside. We ate inside with the windows open. Oddly, we decided to hike out the same way and the trip took 15.5 miles and it became tiring by mile 12. We saw hoary marmot and big horn sheep. Loved every minute of it!

Great hike! Started the day by parking at Logan Pass around 8:15 am and on the trail by 8:30. Heavily trafficked at times, but still manageable. We hung out at Granite Park Chalet for a quick bite (we packed a lunch), and then we headed downhill to the Loop Trail Head. Day was cool, cloudy, and rainy, which made the uphills a bit easier. Saw some bear scat, but no bear. Two hikers in our group grabbed the shuttle back to Logan Pass while the rest of us waited for them to bring the two cars down. Recommend this if you have a large group (we had 8), as there isn't much room on the shuttles. About a 12 mile hike.

I got on the trail at 8:30am from Logan pass and hiked out to Grinnell Glacier Overlook then continued on to Granite Park Chalet. I decided to do the out and back because everyone said the views were different headed back. You also end up going at a different time of day so the lighting will be different. My mileage was just about 17, and I spent about 6 1/2 hours total of trail time. I would recommend this hike to anyone whether you do out and back or to the loop and down. It had incredible views and was not as busy as expected for a Saturday in August. Make sure you make enough time to go to the glacier overlook. It was a very strenuous .6 miles uphill, but it was completely worth It!

Wonderful !
I took the Loop, it was still necessary to have water because it was scorching on the trail.

Get an early start. The hike views are beautiful but crowded until haystack. The chalet was a fantastic stay. We took the loop out early and it was a much better experience than some who went later. I was slightly injured so we took it slow. The temps were unusually high and created more difficulties with having to carry more water.

The first 8 miles, to the chalet, are as spectacular as everyone says. Truly one of the best hikes ever.

The last 4 miles are a fairly steep descent, hot, little shade. It was very difficult on the knees, and we drank 2x as much water as in the previous 8 miles.

The wait for the shuttle was nearly an hour -- the shuttles are small and there was quite a crowd. Smart to park at the loop and then just hop into your car at the painful end of the hike.

Enjoy