Highline Trail

Highline Trail is a 37.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Browning, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

2 minutes ago

I took the hiker’s non-stop shuttle from Apgar Village which arrived at Logan’s Pass around 8:00 am. I hit the trail at 8:20 and made it to the Loop around 4:00 and grabbed a shuttle back down to Apgar Village. The views were spectacular. The wild flowers were absolutely beautiful.

Beautiful hike in August

One of my favorite in glacier national park! I would recommend doing it from Logan’s Pass & working down. The views are amazing, being able to see the whole valley & the vast scenery of the whole park is worth the distance! Nightly recommend!

Hiked this back in July. Amazing hike with great views as a good length of the trail is along the side of the mountain with the valley and Going to the Sun Rd below. Shuttled up to Logan Pass and then hiked back to the car that way.

There’s a short path a little over half way through that goes up to the Grinnell Glacier overlook. Would definitely recommend this but while the hike is short, the elevation gain is pretty tough at this point. If starting from Logan Pass, there’s a nice little stream/watering hole near the end of the trail that was wonderful to sit in after doing the hike.

One of the coolest hikes I've ever completed. I did a short out and back day hike with my parents while visiting Glacier. Highly recommend to anyone visiting the park to at least spend a couple hours hiking the highline...Cannot wait to get back to Glacier!

Amazing hike!

We hiked this trail in back in August and it was beautiful! Very hot that time of year so definitely make sure to bring enough water. Lots of colorful flowers! Relatively easy and flat until the last downhill portion. That was pretty relentless. Parking was a pain, so if you want a good spot make sure to get there plenty early! Was an awesome trail overall!

One if the pretties hikes I've ever been on. The views in the morning light were amazing along with the blue flowers growing out of the rocks that the mountain goats were climbing. I feels so lucky to of been able to see the Sperry Chalet before it was burned down. It was so cool inside. I recommend not starting at Logan pass but at the loop a going though the burn area last was awful in the hot sun my cousin almost had a heatstroke and the beautiful waterfall with crystal clear water was a life saver. Soaked in lake McDonald to finish up the perfect day.

Only downside was the smoke closing the view from the wild fires in Sept.

Absolutely breathtaking! Parked at the loop parking lot and rode the shuttle to Logan’s pass. Hiked to Granite Chalet then took the loop trail to the parking lot. 12.5miles of pure heaven

Picked Glacier as my senior trip destination. This has held up over the years as the very best trail I have ever hiked.

One of the best hikes I've ever done! There is always something beautiful to see every climb and the views are nothing but spectacular! Bring lots of water because it's a long and fun hike!

We just spent 6 days in Glacier and logged over 100 miles. This was the best hike we went on. Spurs to lookout points are well worth the additional miles. Enjoy!

Amazing!

Did this in July with a few relatives (including a gutsy 6-year-old!) and it is one of the best trails I've ever done. Started from Logan Pass and ended on the loop trailhead (~12 miles total I think). It was absolutely gorgeous the entire time. Beautiful views to your left the whole way, including of bird woman falls and the mount heaven Glacier. Tons of wildflowers and beargrass meadows. We saw a grizzly mama and cub, a black bear (at uncomfortably close range- definitely bring bear spray!), a ptarmigan, and several mountain goats and marmot.

Start early for parking!!! Even if you're just parking at Logan and taking the shuttle up, it fills up by 9. Also, the shuttle stops running fairly early, so you'll want to get an early start if you want to use that as your transport.

There were plenty of people hiking it but never felt too crowded- maybe it was just because there's so much open sky. It is a serious hike with a few steep uphills and a long downhill at the end, so I would only recommend it if you're in decent shape. However, it is one of the top 10 hikes I've ever done so if you are in Glacier for more than a couple days, I would definitely take a day to tackle this one!

If you only have one day, do this trail! Great views the whole way! May be a little windy at the start but gets much better after you get away from Logan Pass.

Hiked on August 30th...lots of smoke so long views were minimal. Hiked in three miles and hiked back to Logan Pass.

A must-go trail in GNP, but go prepared. Bring enough water and bear spray. We did not see any bear but saw a deer. If you start early enough, you can hike the first few miles before it gets hot.

However, there's so much smoke in the park recently that we could not get very good views/photos on the trail.

great hike! not hard, we did the loop. parked at the loop parking lot and shuttled to Logan pass, trailhead is across the street. The day we went there was no smoke impeading our views. Hike down from loop was hot, no views and long.

A bucket list hike for sure.

Millage is not accurate. From Logan Pass to The Loop is 12.9-13 miles, and if someone wants to do the steep part towards the overlook of Grinnell Glacier, then look around 14 miles and an added 1.5h that totally worth it.

A few points that people avoid/forget talking about:

Activity level: this is a long hike and it is hard, particularly the last 4 miles downhill towards the Loop. Make sure you have plenty of water, because this part for 3.5 miles is exposed to the sun with no shade and can be very hot (result of forest fire). Don’t forget that persons have had heat strokes at this particular part. On the 6th, that I hiked it temps reached 85F after 0100pm, and more than four people were in trouble going towards the Loop. In addition, make sure you are using trekking poles, because your knees will surely sue you!

Wildlife: Be very mindful about animals. People think that bears are the only threat but stay away from male mountain goats and give them plenty of space when they walk towards you on the trail. DO NOT yield from the cliff sides of the trail, because a male goat with attitude could knock you off your feet and off that cliff you go. I did not see any bears on the hike, because the heat and their choice of mid-day dens in mountain depressions that is cooler. By the way, stay on the trail. Do not wonder around, because there is a great possibility to surprise a bear.

Altitude: I am mentioning this primarily due to an incident that others and I had to assist. When you choose to travel to GNP or any other park in high elevation, educate yourself about Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS), talk to your physician, and try to understand the first signs of this illness, especially when planning a trip there within 2-3 days after arriving from elevations bellow 1000ft. AMS could affect anyone at any given time despite age, gender, fitness and health level, or prior altitude exposure. It is totally irrelevant. If you have a pounding headache and did not go away within 30-45min with ibuprofen, you must go back to Logan pass or descent to the Loop immediately and seek medical help. On my hike, a group of hikers from Florida had 2 members with severe AMS to the point of not been able to walk. Members managed to drug these two guys at Logan Pass.

Overall it is a magnificent hike and lifetime experience. Just take your time and enjoy the views, because videos or pictures cannot even remotely describe that experience.

Amazing views. Last 4 miles downhill was hard in the already tired feet. Well worth the blisters though!

Hiked to Granite Chalet for the Eclipse & lunch then as we sat there pondering on the trail going up to the Grinnell Glacier we decided to go for it. The views were amazing and so worth the uphill push. After that it was back to the Chalet for a quick break then down the loop. I agree, this route is rough, hot, and hard on the knees. My advise is to go back to Logan Pass the way you came! The views are amazing on this trail.

First 7 miles to Chalet are great. Downhill from there on loop is tedious, hot and hard on knees. I think better is to just return to Logan the way you came, can't beat the views.

Solid hike, but the hard difficulty is a mistake as it's an insanely easy hike outside of the distance. The 38.1 miles is the trail to another campground if memory serves, but if you take the shuttle to either The Loop or Logan's Pass, the trail is around 11 miles if you don't go the same way there and back.

Starting from Logan's Pass is easy, barely any elevation increase or decrease and just fantastic views. Going down the loop is rough on the knees, as is every trail in the park I learned. Recommend doing hidden lake after this one (behind logan's pass) and taking a dip, it's a tough trail too but the water felt great.

We took the shuttle up to Logans Pass and started the Highline trail (which is across Going to the Sun Road from the visitors center). The trail is absolutely breath taking & beautiful. I will admit the first ~0.5 miles is hiking on the edge of a mountain so if you're scared of heights- probably not for you! But if you can tough it out, it's only for about 10 minutes and the rest of the trail is SO WORTH IT. There's also a handrail you can hold onto if it makes you feel better! The first 7.6 miles to the Chalet were amazing. There is shade and sun. Pack layers & sunscreen. Definitely pack about 2 L of water PER hiker. Water at the Chalet costs $5.75 per bottle. About 0.8 miles from the Chalet there is an overlook trail (an additional 0.6 each way) to overlook Grinnell lake and its glacier. The trail is STRAIGHT UP a mountain and extremely strenuous, but worth it. Take frequent breaks if you need, but it's worth the view. Once you get to the Chalet, there is a port a pot & some picnic tables to sit and eat at. The rest of the 4 miles down to the Loop (Going to the Sun Road) is straight downhill for 4 miles. The first mile or so is in the wood (shade), but the last 3 are hot with little to no shade and NO WATER. Pack accordingly. The ranger told me there have been 16 medical emergencies on this trail in the past THREE WEEKS due to insufficient hydration. If you have to spend the $5.75 for water at the Chalet, just suck it up and do it because you will dehydrate easily on the last 3 miles. Overall, the trail was amazing and 10/10 day. Would definitely do it again. HIGHLY recommend for views.

I started at Logan Pass, hiked to the Chalet, and then down to the going to the sun road. The hike up to the Chalet was incredible- amazing vistas and scenery. The hike down from the chalet was all downhill and was mostly through a burn area.

We chose to park at the Loop Trail parking lot and rode the free shuttle to Logan Pass, which we highly recommend because you then hike back to your car. About 1/2 a mile short of the Granite Park Challet, there is an optional .6 mile each way there and back calf burner that allows views of the other side that are spectacular. A large glacier, I believe called Grinnell, or something similarly named, that forms an incredible blue-green lake. Well worth the strenuous climb. This hike ranks as one of my favorite of all time. Highly recommend.

From Logan Pass to Chalet is stunning. From Chalet down to Loop in the heat requires more water than you might expect. Haul it, buy it, or go out and back to Logan if it is hot. But go. Nothing like this trail.

Hiked from Logan Pass to the Granite Chalet and down the loop trail to Going to the Sun Road where I hitched a ride on the shuttle back to Logan pass. It was 11.6 miles (if I remember right, could be 11.2 mi), and it was beautiful. I went alone and met a family about a mile in that took me in and gave me fruit snacks for the rest of the hike. Some of the hike had me dying for breath, but some of hit had me dying for water. I ran out of water at granite chalet, I had brought 2 liters in a platypus water bladder, and theirs costs $5 a bottle, so I decided I'd be okay with out it. Little did I know, the loop trail goes through an entire burn section. Although it was an interesting change in land scape, I wish I had had water for that. Incredible way to spend your day. Be prepared to get out of your tent sore the next morning!

We took our kids to Haystack Butte and back from Logan Pass. The hike is beautiful and pretty flat. We saw a mountain goat family! The cliff part at the beginning is not as scary as the guide book made it seem. You can hold onto the rope for comfort.