Highline Trail is a 28.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Swiftcurrent, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

Gotta be the most gorgeous day hike ever. So glad I did it when I was a bit younger and more in shape.

This is a fantastic hike - great views! Worth the detour to take the trail up to the glacier overlook (worth the steep trek). Highly recommend you retrace your steps after you get to the lodge - we made the mistake of ignoring other hikers’ advice and the last 4 miles to the road were the worst hiking ever - dusty, hot, biting flies and dodging mule dung, (no views) and then waiting an hour to get a shuttle (no seats on the 5 that passed by). Other than that this was the best day in the park! Wish we had time to do it twice!

so sick

As a 69-year-old flatlander on my second day, I went only from Logan Pass to the Haystack- Mt Gould gap and return (Sep 3). Skies were mostly cloudy and there was smoke in the valleys. Even with that, this stretch is very scenic and fun. The cliff portions are wide and not scary. I intended to climb Haystack Butte, but lacked the energy and the trail did not look official or maintained.

Love it... absolutely love it. Don't miss the strenuous hike to the top of Grinell glacier, that's the icing on the cake.

Beautiful views!

Beautiful trail. I did this 1st week of July, 2018 and got to Logans pass around 6 a.m. You have to if you plan to park there. On trail mostly in solitude. Great views. There was still snow, but that was fine. If (or when) I return to Glacier I will do this again. I went to the chalet, then turned around to the glacier hike, then hiked back to Logans Pass. People that asked seemed stupefied, but I did not want to hike down to the Loop. It was stupendous and wonderful.

Incredible trail. If crowds bother you, get there before 6am.

tons of wildlife

We hiked this trail to the Granite Park chalet and spent the night at the chalet. Parking does fill up early up at Logan. You can take the shuttle from St Mary’s up as well. The hike is beautiful! So much wildlife and so much to see.

Such a ludicrously beautiful hike. It will wear you out, but it is worth the time it takes to complete it.

One of the best trails I have ever been on. Get to the park early and park at Logan Pass. Grab the shuttle back up. The last 4 miles are in full sun with no shade. Stop at the Granite Chalet if you need water or Gatorade, bring cash.

Climbed, went awwwwww! Hard day.
Started the hike from the Logan pass parking lot. Needed to arrive by 7:15 AM in order to secure parking. Headed out immediately onto the trail. Very busy so want to start as early as possible. The hike is just totally awesome all the way through to the chalet. Once leaving the chalet it is a 4 mile fully sun exposed hike to the shuttle stop. You will want to double your water if you going to do this hike in the summer.

On Sunday My husband dropped me off at Logan Pass. I was on the trail at 8 am. Spectacular views.the whole Highline Trail to the chalet. Went up Glacier Overlook. I took many breaks coming up. None coming down. Very windy at the overlook. I saw 1 goat and three deer. Got to chalet at 1 pm. I purchased a Gatorade at the chalet and used the pit toilet. A woman 15 minutes ahead of me on the Loop Trail saw a bear. The people ahead of me periodically whooped and yelled “here bear”. I did not see a bear.
I got to the Going to the Sun Road at 2:50 pm, just as a shuttle bus went by. The shuttle buses were only taking 2 people at a time and there were over 10 people in line, in full sun. The line moved more due to people hitch hiking than due to shuttle buses. After waiting an hour, an off duty ranger asked the group a few questions. Then suggested that one person per group get on the shuttle. Then drive their car from Logan Pass to the Loop and pick up the rest of their group. The next shuttle to arrive took 12 people. . .

Amazing hike, especially early in the morning. I hit the trailhead at 6:15 and was the first on the trail. Saw tons of sheep and some goats later on. Breathtaking views.

We hiked the Highline Trail on August 28. We weren’t planning on hiking all the way to Haystack Butte. We really didn’t know what that was. Wish we had. From what I can understand now, Haystack Butte is the switchback at that takes you up and over the mountain for a overhead view of Grinnell Glacier Lake. I couldn’t convince my husband to do the switchback. He and I both regretted it!
The hike on this trail is awesome! I have never seen such amazing views! We hiked Hidden Lake trail to the overlook first and then crossed over GTTSR to the Highline Trail. We were definitely intimidated by the cables and the height at the beginning of the trail, but you get used to it. At one point we had to back down the trail, there was a male goat on the trail and he was eating coming our direction. So, the only choice was to watch him eat until he decided to move higher up the mountain. We also saw a female goat and her calf close to the end near the road when we were finished.
Hike this trail but get to Logan’s Pass early for parking and bring more water than you think you need. The hike to the Butte is long and tiring but the view at the overlook was amazing I’m sure. But even if you don’t make it to the Butte switchback the views of the mountains and valley is breathtaking!

One of the most amazing things I've ever done. We did this 4 days ago. We parked at Loop parking lot to catch shuttle. That was a mistake because we were about 24th in line for the shuttle to Logan Pass. So we didn't get on the trail until 9:30. The shuttle driver told us they purposely only take two or three at a time because the Highline trail gets saturated. However, there was one shuttle that came empty from Logan Pass that took 12 up at one time. My husband wasn't as in shape as he needed to be so by the time we got over the main pass with the snow caps he was pretty tired. I was carrying a much too heavy back pack at 30 lbs. Live and learn what you really need but it was for both of us. It was also pretty hot and we were drinking more water than expected. We refilled our water bottles on a snow melt right around 4 miles into the trail. We stayed the night at the Chalet and loved it!! I wanted to hike up to Grinnell Glacier but not alone because of the Grizzly bears and my husband was too tired to make it. There is free potable water from the park service .25 miles behind the Chalet on an easy trail and they also sell water for $5.50 2 liter bottles. We hiked down the Granite Park Chalet trail to the loop parking lot the next morning and passed the pack mules on their way taking supplies to the Chalet. I loved both trails.

LOVED this hike!! We parked and started at Logan Pass and hiked to the Loop and then took the shuttle back. We started around 7:30 AM, which was great because there were fewer people and it was much cooler. This hike is gorgeous throughout. We added on the Glacier Overlook, which was a lot of work, but worth it! Really appreciated the trail etiquette on this hike. Would definitely recommend this trail and would love to do it again! Be sure to pack extra water to plan to wait for the shuttle. They have specific shuttles that solely go back and forth between Logan Pass and the Loop to pick up hikers, but on a crowded day, you could end up waiting for awhile.

My family actually ran /jogged this trail which I thought was crazy. I walked it. It is not a recommended trail if you have younger children. It has extreme drop off from trail and would not be worth the anxiety. There were plenty of older adults. Great views and the trails height and drop off is pretty thrilling. I saw one mountain goat just chilling. The flowers were beautiful. I just hike 45 min out and turned around. I saw two waterfalls. Was pleasant overall but not my favorite hike in Glacier as I like a water destination however my husband loved it.

Stunning trail. We did the Logan loop which wasn’t quite as long. More like 20km.
Parked at Logan pass and hiked down to the loop, then hitchhiked back. (The shuttle service was not running very regularly.)
The glacier overlook is not to be missed!! Adds an extra 2-3 km to your day.

This was, by far, the best trail I've ever hiked. It wasn't easy, but it was totally worth it. So much beauty and every different kind of terrain that Glacier has to offer. We saw a lot of marmots, but that was it for the wildlife. We started out around 7am after reading other reviews regarding the parking situation at Logan's Pass. We stopped and ate our lunch at the chalet. Awesome people and a much needed break. Then we continued on the Loop to the end. The Loop was ugly. Just rocky and not very pretty. I was initially excited about the decline, but the excitement ended fast because it was just rough. Although it was worth it to finish. Definitely hike this trail!

Chances for lots of wildlife!

Did about 2.5 miles in from Logan Pass and then turned around. Never had plans of going straight thru. Very scenic. Saw a heard of Big Horn sheep and a mountain goat

This is an awesome trail. Got there by 7:45am and the parking lot at Logan Pass was almost full. Lots of folks hiking this one. Leave your heavy bags at home and only take the bare essentials. Definitely a trail for bear spray / bear bells. Saw 3 mountain goats and a ram, remember there are people on the trail but you're in the wilderness! If you fly in, bear spray is 2 cans for 42.99+ at the Safeway in Whitefish. Saw an older local man open carry a revolver on his hip which reinforced the seriousness of the trail for me. Gorgeous hike. First part of the trail is not for those afraid of heights, saw several families with younger kids turn back.

Spectacular views. We hit the trail at 6:30a on July 23. Saw a big grizzly about 100 yards below the trail, probably a 1/4 mile before Garden Wall. A lot of hikers behind us - gotta hit this one early or you’ll be in a crowd.

Very scenic hike. Hard due to elevation gain, uneven footing and exposed narrow trails cut into side of mountain

Hike is good. Best part of it is the extra mile to Grinnel Glacier overview.
High traffic, start before 7:15am if you want to beat the crowd.
Not a single berry on the whole trail so bear danger is close to none.(mid July).

Views are outrageous, felt constantly like I was going to fall off the side of the cliff. Switchbacks were rough but doable. The end finishes with four miles of downhill and that was the worst part. We are pretty proud of ourselves for finishing

Long, exposed, dry, and, to me, outside of the views a real trudge. The views are wonderful but can be had elsewhere in the park on less gruelling hikes. Due to fire the lower half of the usual hike down to The Loop is also dry and exposed. Using the shuttles to go either way is frustrating as they are almost always full going up in the morning and full going down in the afternoon. Despite popular opinion, skip this one and hike from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge instead.

Possibly top 3 hikes in the US. Wild life everywhere and not a terribly difficult hike with views every step of he way.