Highline Trail

Highline Trail is a 38.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

13 minutes ago

We took the shuttle up to Logans Pass and started the Highline trail (which is across Going to the Sun Road from the visitors center). The trail is absolutely breath taking & beautiful. I will admit the first ~0.5 miles is hiking on the edge of a mountain so if you're scared of heights- probably not for you! But if you can tough it out, it's only for about 10 minutes and the rest of the trail is SO WORTH IT. There's also a handrail you can hold onto if it makes you feel better! The first 7.6 miles to the Chalet were amazing. There is shade and sun. Pack layers & sunscreen. Definitely pack about 2 L of water PER hiker. Water at the Chalet costs $5.75 per bottle. About 0.8 miles from the Chalet there is an overlook trail (an additional 0.6 each way) to overlook Grinnell lake and its glacier. The trail is STRAIGHT UP a mountain and extremely strenuous, but worth it. Take frequent breaks if you need, but it's worth the view. Once you get to the Chalet, there is a port a pot & some picnic tables to sit and eat at. The rest of the 4 miles down to the Loop (Going to the Sun Road) is straight downhill for 4 miles. The first mile or so is in the wood (shade), but the last 3 are hot with little to no shade and NO WATER. Pack accordingly. The ranger told me there have been 16 medical emergencies on this trail in the past THREE WEEKS due to insufficient hydration. If you have to spend the $5.75 for water at the Chalet, just suck it up and do it because you will dehydrate easily on the last 3 miles. Overall, the trail was amazing and 10/10 day. Would definitely do it again. HIGHLY recommend for views.

I started at Logan Pass, hiked to the Chalet, and then down to the going to the sun road. The hike up to the Chalet was incredible- amazing vistas and scenery. The hike down from the chalet was all downhill and was mostly through a burn area.

We chose to park at the Loop Trail parking lot and rode the free shuttle to Logan Pass, which we highly recommend because you then hike back to your car. About 1/2 a mile short of the Granite Park Challet, there is an optional .6 mile each way there and back calf burner that allows views of the other side that are spectacular. A large glacier, I believe called Grinnell, or something similarly named, that forms an incredible blue-green lake. Well worth the strenuous climb. This hike ranks as one of my favorite of all time. Highly recommend.

From Logan Pass to Chalet is stunning. From Chalet down to Loop in the heat requires more water than you might expect. Haul it, buy it, or go out and back to Logan if it is hot. But go. Nothing like this trail.

Hiked from Logan Pass to the Granite Chalet and down the loop trail to Going to the Sun Road where I hitched a ride on the shuttle back to Logan pass. It was 11.6 miles (if I remember right, could be 11.2 mi), and it was beautiful. I went alone and met a family about a mile in that took me in and gave me fruit snacks for the rest of the hike. Some of the hike had me dying for breath, but some of hit had me dying for water. I ran out of water at granite chalet, I had brought 2 liters in a platypus water bladder, and theirs costs $5 a bottle, so I decided I'd be okay with out it. Little did I know, the loop trail goes through an entire burn section. Although it was an interesting change in land scape, I wish I had had water for that. Incredible way to spend your day. Be prepared to get out of your tent sore the next morning!

We took our kids to Haystack Butte and back from Logan Pass. The hike is beautiful and pretty flat. We saw a mountain goat family! The cliff part at the beginning is not as scary as the guide book made it seem. You can hold onto the rope for comfort.

Less than a mile into our journey, it was obvious why this trail is considered a "must-do" hike in Glacier—the views are unparalleled to anything I've ever experienced in all my years of hiking.

We got on the trail early enough (around 7:00am) that we only passed a dozen or so people the entire morning, departing from Logan Pass en route to Granite Park Chalet, eventually ending at The Loop.

Our trip to the chalet was a quick 7.6mi, aided by the relatively minimal elevation change between there and Logan Pass. We spent some time at the quaint and minimal chalet (especially compared to the Sperry Chalet), eating the sandwiches we packed for lunch and chatting with the friendly staff.

The portion of our day along the Highline Trail was hands down a 5-star experience; however, heading down the Granite Park Trail to The Loop was a hot, sweaty slog that I'd be content to never do again. This trail descends almost 3,000ft down over 4mi, through a burned out section of the forest with the sun beating down relentlessly. The lack of scenery combined with being exposed to the elements made this portion of the hike as forgettable as it was unenjoyable—on our way down we passed numerous people in jeans and sneakers on their way up, carrying only a small bottle of Aquafina, and we worried for their well-being.

If we had this to do over again, we'd most likely hike the Highline Trail to the chalet then turn back to Logan Pass.

Fabulous hike! Logan Pass parking was full by 8am, so we had to park in the overflow parking lot below. It was extremely busy until we hit haystack, then people started to thin out. We had lunch at the chalet, but again, there were a lot of people outside. We ate inside with the windows open. Oddly, we decided to hike out the same way and the trip took 15.5 miles and it became tiring by mile 12. We saw hoary marmot and big horn sheep. Loved every minute of it!

Great hike! Started the day by parking at Logan Pass around 8:15 am and on the trail by 8:30. Heavily trafficked at times, but still manageable. We hung out at Granite Park Chalet for a quick bite (we packed a lunch), and then we headed downhill to the Loop Trail Head. Day was cool, cloudy, and rainy, which made the uphills a bit easier. Saw some bear scat, but no bear. Two hikers in our group grabbed the shuttle back to Logan Pass while the rest of us waited for them to bring the two cars down. Recommend this if you have a large group (we had 8), as there isn't much room on the shuttles. About a 12 mile hike.

I got on the trail at 8:30am from Logan pass and hiked out to Grinnell Glacier Overlook then continued on to Granite Park Chalet. I decided to do the out and back because everyone said the views were different headed back. You also end up going at a different time of day so the lighting will be different. My mileage was just about 17, and I spent about 6 1/2 hours total of trail time. I would recommend this hike to anyone whether you do out and back or to the loop and down. It had incredible views and was not as busy as expected for a Saturday in August. Make sure you make enough time to go to the glacier overlook. It was a very strenuous .6 miles uphill, but it was completely worth It!

Wonderful !
I took the Loop, it was still necessary to have water because it was scorching on the trail.