Hidden Lake Overlook

Hidden Lake Overlook is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Amazing views all around. We aren’t in great shape so it took us a little longer than others. There were a lot of people on the trail; views getting there and back were just as beautiful as the Hidden Lake. Mostly wooden planks and then there are gravel trails. Some snow on the boardwalks but dries out around noon.

Wonderful hike with lots of wildlife. We seen a lot of Mt Goats and long horn sheep. The flowers were just starting to bloom.

an amazing hike in all directions. easy hike if you are in shape. a glacier park must do!

Relatively easy hike if you're in average shape, and the view was amazing even with a lot of smoke. Lots of wildlife along the trail, just don't crowd them. We saw mountain goats at multiple times on the trail as well as passing bighorn sheep. Get there early or take a shuttle because parking is limited and this is a popular destination.

Beautiful trail! Great easy hike up to the view point. We saw big horned goats on the way up which was pretty special. The wildflowers are in perfect bloom along the trail and there are still small streams coming from the mountain top.

amazing hike and the view was breath taking

Busy but never felt crowded, hiked over snowy parts in mid July, no shade, bring sunscreen, and give the mountain goats their space. Spectacular views everywhere!

Loved this trail and it is a nice hike to the lookout. However if you hike down to the lake it is not easy. Narrow paths, 12 switchbacks and 675 feet decline in altitude made this hike 5 miles overall and challenging. Be prepared if you are hiking to hidden lake, it is not easy after the lookout.

High-elevation hike to fantastic overlook of scenic Hidden Lake. Most of the trail is boardwalk or gravel.
On the harder side of easy due to high altitude and elevation gain. There are no trees at this elevation: dress accordingly and bring water. Snowmelt created fantastic streams and waterfalls in late July. Parking will be difficult at Logan Pass, so you will probably need to ride one of the free park shuttles up to the trailhead. Overall, one of the must-do hikes in Glacier National Park.

Really beautiful hike but had some troubles finding parking at first. Saw about 10 mountain goats, some on the trail even. Also saw 8 big horned sheep. A bit hard the way up but easy way down. Gorgeous views!

Beautiful trail. Wish we had more time to explore. Get there early, lots of people and unfortunately a few of the buses had problems when we were there.

We wanted to hike to the lake, but grizzly activity prevented us from going further than the lookout. Hours later they opened up the path to hiking. The views were beautiful and the trail was mostly boardwalk.

Hiked today in the morning (arrived at Logan Pass Visitors Center around 7:45 am to ensure parking). Was a bit windy, but just gorgeous. Many people on the trail, but as it is wide open, I really didn’t mind. A bit of a climb initially on the boardwalks and uphill, but very manageable with basic fitness level. We saw 21 bighorn sheep (bachelor party of all males), as well as mountain goat mom and baby- so adorable! This is a perfect hike for families. Everyone in our family loved it!

AMAZING hike! There was so much beautiful scenery and TONS of wildlife! There were a lot of Big Horned Sheep and Rocky Mountain Goats. They are literally right next to the trail. The entire hike had such beautiful views. I got so many pictures of the mountains and the goats and sheep!! As an experienced hiker, I would say this is a moderate trail, or easy/ moderate. Rangers are very active so ask questions!
As tempting as it may be to go off the trail into the flowers, please DO NOT. They are trying to preserve and restore the field, and I saw a group of hikers stray/ disrespect the trail which was infuriating. Please please, don’t be that asshole. ALSO- DO NOT use the SHUTTLE. They do not have the organization or the logistics to run shuttles properly, so I suggest being at the parking lot at 7:30am at the LATEST. The parking lot is full by 7:55am. If you take he shuttle, you’ll be waiting a long time, some hikers have said hours before they’re able to even get in a shuttle.
Bring:
Sunscreen
Jackets/ layers (it gets really cold even in August)
Bug spray maybe
Sunscreen
Bear spray
Enjoy this hike!!!

Boardwalk trail with large step ups that hurt the most coming back down. Went at 8am and saw no sheep or goats but boardwalk was pretty busy.

did it on 7/28 as a break from long hikes between 27th and 29th.
It's very popular, short, easy trail.
Lots of goats too.
It's up to you but, I do not see the point of driving yourself to Logan Pass visitor center and go through the parking war unless you are doing Highline trail.
If you are going to Logan Pass visitor center just for this, then take shuttle.
It's truly beautiful but again, not worth it to go through parking war just for this.
parking lot gets full by 8:00 am. but really, you want to be there by 7:30 to secure your spot.

This hike is beautiful!!!! It’s filled with stunning views the entire way! Our group included people from 4 years old up to 70 years old and we all loved it. The way up is pretty much up hill the whole way, but most of us didn’t have any trouble at all! The oldest and youngest got tired of the hill, but everyone made it and loved it! Others have warned about snow making the hike difficult, but it’s mostly melted and is a non issue now!

Quite a few people, but we went later in the day (1800 hours) and saw an incredible amount of wildlife. Mountain goats everywhere (including in the trail), bighorn sheep, and a grizzly across the ridge. The view from the overlook is stunning. We encountered snow, but nothing major. Great for kids (7 and 8 years). I didn’t want to leave. Sad to find the trail to Hidden Lake beyond the overlook was closed due to bear activity.

Short, uphill hike. Pretty crowded. We saw four mountain goats right off the trail. Hiked on 7/19/18 and there were several small snow patches.

This one was neat. We saw several mountain goats right near/on the trail. There were also bighorn sheep near Logan's Pass Visitors Center. Up to the overlook was very wide open, this was the only trail I that I wasn’t super stressed about bears on. (However, the continuation of this trail that leads down to the actual lake itself was closed due to bear danger.) As I said, very open, so make sure to have relief from sun if needed.

Now for the BUT... I read this one as being "easy" and Avalanche Lake being "moderate" This one was WAY more difficult for my husband and I with our toddlers on our backs than Avalanche Lake Trail. This one is both shorter and has less incline, but the incline being spread over so much less of a distance meant the incline was much steeper. That alone made it more difficult, but to top it off even mid-July there was still snow covering a LOT of the trail. Definitely would not do this one again with toddlers on our backs. Our 13 and 15 year olds said it was their favorite trail of the trip though.

Do not forget bug spray. Also, hiking poles would probably be very helpful.

We did this hike on Tues 7/10. We were completely surprised by and unprepared for so much of the trail being covered with snow but we hiked it anyways and were certainly glad we did. We did this trail with 4 of our children ranging in age from 1-8. The older two were able to complete the hike easily on their own with exception of one very small part of the trail (about 15 yards) where we were on a dirt hill between 2 snowy spots. I’d imagine this part will get easier and easier as the snow melts. The view at the overlook was so beautiful it was certainly worth it and we saw a few mountain goats. I highly recommend this trail

Amazing view at the end! Definitely still lots of snow even in mid July. I was amazed to watch people in sandals and tennis shoes trying to make it up the snow. Several mountain goats and bighorn sheep along the way.

This trail is almost entirely snowed under!! Only spent about 10% of the time on an actual boardwalk, the rest was very thick snow. In saying that, it was definitely doable (I had poles and hiking boots, but I saw people struggling in their thongs or sandals!). As everyone else says, it’s also crazy busy.
The lake isn’t super visible at the moment either as there is still a lot of snow around, so I would love to come back and check this out in a month or so, as I think it would be a 5/5 trail and view!
Saw a lot of mountain goats, and one beautiful grizzly bear that wandered over to the trail to scratch itself on the boardwalk! There was another grizzly floating around too!

Beautiful trail but very busy! A bit steep at times. If you are looking for views away from the crowd, this is definitely not the overlook for you.

The trail is heavily trafficked, but I gave 5 stars because of all the wildlife. We were just 3 feet from mountain goats and they are so used to ppl that they cross the trail just feet from you! Be sure to wear hiking boots! I saw lots of ppl slipping on the snow in their tennis shoes in July!

Nice and easy, great views but I’d recommend hiking down to the lake though. See my other review.

Follow me on Instagram for pictures of the hikes and other adventures @wildrumpfie

It’s beautiful and worth seeing just heavily trafficked.

Short and sweet with a stunning view of hidden lake. You're sure to see mountain goats and maybe a bear but it's always crowded.

After we hiked the Highline Trail from Logan to Granite Park and took the shuttle back to Logan, this was the perfect short hike to finish the day off with. Mid-July, there were still quite a few snow-fields to cross, which a lot of people seemed very unprepared for. That said, none of the fields were dangerous in any way, just don’t wear flip-flops. There were a lot of people on the trail, so be prepared for that. Despite the crowds, we saw several mountain goats and ground squirrels. The trail beyond the overlook down to the lake itself was closed due to bear danger, so can’t comment on that, but even just the view from the overlook is more than worth the hike.