Herron Park Loop is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Somers, Montana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Length7.6 miElevation gain1,335 ftRoute typeLoop
HikingHorseback ridingMountain bikingDog friendlyForestViews
Description
Waypoints (0)

This loop is a combination of Plum Creek Road, Chase Trail, Boundary Trail, and Notch Trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (78)
Photos (140)
Recordings (74)
Completed (169)
Tammy Denmark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 1, 2020
View Tammy's Recording
Andy Kirk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
View Andy's Recording
Kel Becker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
Hiking

Super dusty. Pretty view at top. Good for exercise. However, not great scenery and you are filthy with dirt and inhale a ton of dirt on the trail. For horse riding it would be awesome, but for hiking, it’s mediocre.

View Kel's Recording
Angie McCrorie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Angie's Recording
Emily Freshman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020

Easy

View Emily's Recording
Maggie Parsons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020

Great easy hike, with moderate-ish options. We hike here often. Beautiful diversity of spring wildflowers. Watch out for bikes, though.

Louise Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

Well maintained park of trails! Great view at the top of notch trail. We actually took notch trail to overlook to horse trail, so our hike only ended up being about 4mi. Like that this area has flexibility to do more or less, which worked out for us as we had our puppy with us.

Steven Kresek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 5, 2020
Hiking

Lots of small trails make it a little hard to stay on this particular trail.

View Steven's Recording
Garrett Hallmark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 10, 2020

Easy, family hike.

Emilie Henry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 25, 2020
HikingIcySnow
View Emilie's Recording
Karen Hansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2019
Hiking

This was a deceiving hike as it appeared like a horse training center up front with the mountain behind. Beautiful views, we took our young kids and they did just fine. While descending down at approx 9:30pm, a mountain lion appeared behind a bush and looked at us, but continued down the mountain unphased. There were a few deer legs hung over branches throughout the trail and lots of horse poop to avoid as well. A fun hike with pretty views!

Jeff W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
Mountain biking

This isn't exactly the same trail, but close enough. Take the PC road to top of Chase trail, where it links up with the Foys to Blacktail trail, then down through Chase Forest and up the Boundary trail to the top of the Overlook. Next, down the Notch trail and back to parking lot.

View Jeff's Recording
Justin Zehren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2019
Hiking

Should have probably read the full description of the trail on here before setting out. definitely missed some turns since I didn't know which trail to follow when. but oh well. still enjoyed the 4 mile hike I did.

View Justin's Recording
Ian Keinath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful hike!!!! It’s a must for training for long hikes. But the only down fall is the horse poo on the trails. If I have to clean up after my dogs. I think horse riders should have to have poop bags on the horses.

Robin A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

Listen up dog walkers! The rule is to keep your dog on a leash and it is there for good reason. I am a horse rider and since Heron park is an equestrian park too, it is extremely rude and incompetent of anyone who lets their dog off the leash. If your dog comes up to my horse and starts jumping on it and barking: 1) my horse my get scared, throw me off, maybe run away... and whose insurance am I billing for any injuries to me or my horse? Yours...since the rules are clearly stated. 2) If your dog runs up and starts attacking my horse my bet is that my horse or any other horse out there will kick or stomp you dog, potentially killing it and that's on you! So do everyone and your dog a favor and follow the rules or stay out. They're there for everyone and you're not exempt, not even you tourists!

Michael Cothran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2019

This trail offers a lot of great views, it connects to the Notch Trail, so you can decide on different trails at your leisure. the loop can take you into another part of the forest so make sure you grab a map for a small $1 donation.

donald Plank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2019
Hiking

Wonderful hike with beautiful views please keep your dogs on a leash, not only is it the rules, it’s rude and obnoxious to not keep them under control.

View donald's Recording
Vickie Hubble-Adkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2018

Trails are wonderful. Please keep your dog on a leash. This is very important as people don’t even realize that their dogs might cause an accident with a horse back rider. Not fun to encounter a dog, barking and jumping at your horse. Dogs don’t always come back to their owner when they are excited. When I hike, I keep my dog on a leash. But it is not fun to have an unleashed dogs run up to us. They don’t always get a long. Just saying, there is a reason to have your dog on a leash. 4th generation living in the Flathead. We love sharing our beautiful valley; but follow the rules.

Eric Rosenthal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 26, 2018
Hiking

Herron park is an extensive network of trails used by folks in the Kalispell area for strolling, running and mountain biking. All kinds of options for loops of varying lengths and elevation changes. It's easy to get to, and you could stop at nearby Lone Pine State Park or swim in Foy lake as part of an outing.

Carrie McCluskey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 24, 2018
Hiking

Loved our hike. Took our dog and was a little weary about loose dogs as the reviews stated, but all dogs we encountered were leashed! Nice trails and great weather. Can't wait to try the chase overlook next time.

David Olsboy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 17, 2018
Hiking

One of my fav trails being new to the area. And Jordan you’re right most people have their dogs off leash but I haven’t heard of any problems. I keep mine on a leash since she’s a pup and she would get herself into trouble! Get out and enjoy!

Jordan Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2018

I just moved to Kalispell and this was one of the first spots I tried for a dog walk. The only reason I rated this hike 3 stars was because of the big sign at the trailhead stating that all dogs must be leashed which was not what I was hoping for, however I met several people with off leash dogs. I want to follow the rules and am just wondering what locals think of this? It's a truly beautiful spot and I only did the "family hike"

Brittany N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2018
Running

Herron has some amazing trail systems that are well marked and good for running or hiking. Wildflowers are amazing, as well as the views. This can be an area where you do a short hike or a long hike. I’ve done a few miles with the kids here and I’ve also run a half marathon here. The trails go all the way to Blacktail Mtn. Really beautiful area.

Stephie Sommers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2018
Hiking

Amazing view. There were three different lookouts that I found. One on Notch trail and then the one with the picnic table. Then the most stunning one at the end of Chase trail. That one was difficult to get to, lots of uphill but we have good stamina! Big sign at parking lot says “dogs must be on a leash” but not one person follows that law. Which is sad because I would love to bring my dog up there leashed but he has a difficult time with other dogs (past trauma? He’s a rescue) so that would end up being too stressful trying to keep other people’s dogs away from him. Sucks that people have to ruin it for others. But I would definitely hike this again.

Lynn Kehoe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 6, 2018
Hiking

I hiked this trail with a friend and my two Labs. There is ample parking with a toilet at the park entrance. This a multiple use area; mountain bikers and trail runners This is also a horse park. It is crisscrossed with trails. If you want to follow the trail on the map stick to the boundary trail on the outside. There are numerous central trails so one can make any length they desire. This outside trail goes up a ridge which offers views of the valley from Whitefish mtn. into the Park and down to Flathead Lake. There are a couple of nice picnic places with benches at the top along the ridge. The flowers were in bloom Glacier lily, shooting stars, yellow bells, and the arrow leaf balsam root is just coming into its glory. It is a dry trail so take along extra water. It was in the low 70's and sunny when we went and I did not carry enough water for the dogs so we cut the trip a little short. It is a pretty hike with many friendly people on the trail. There is a drainage ditch on the valley floor where I cooled the dogs off.

Mike Tyler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 30, 2017

great local trail for training.

David Wallace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 1, 2017

Just on the outskirts of town, multiple trails.

Sandra Doll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2017

Great hike close to town

Anna Mclean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 5, 2016

Great place! They have a small family hike and a harder 8mile hike that is pretty hard because it is straight up hill. Great biking trails! When you reach the lookout of the long hike it is beautiful!!