Herron Park Loop is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Somers, Montana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This loop is a combination of Plum Creek Road, Chase Trail, Boundary Trail, and Notch Trail.

Trails are wonderful. Please keep your dog on a leash. This is very important as people don’t even realize that their dogs might cause an accident with a horse back rider. Not fun to encounter a dog, barking and jumping at your horse. Dogs don’t always come back to their owner when they are excited. When I hike, I keep my dog on a leash. But it is not fun to have an unleashed dogs run up to us. They don’t always get a long. Just saying, there is a reason to have your dog on a leash. 4th generation living in the Flathead. We love sharing our beautiful valley; but follow the rules.

Herron park is an extensive network of trails used by folks in the Kalispell area for strolling, running and mountain biking. All kinds of options for loops of varying lengths and elevation changes. It's easy to get to, and you could stop at nearby Lone Pine State Park or swim in Foy lake as part of an outing.

Loved our hike. Took our dog and was a little weary about loose dogs as the reviews stated, but all dogs we encountered were leashed! Nice trails and great weather. Can't wait to try the chase overlook next time.

One of my fav trails being new to the area. And Jordan you’re right most people have their dogs off leash but I haven’t heard of any problems. I keep mine on a leash since she’s a pup and she would get herself into trouble! Get out and enjoy!

I just moved to Kalispell and this was one of the first spots I tried for a dog walk. The only reason I rated this hike 3 stars was because of the big sign at the trailhead stating that all dogs must be leashed which was not what I was hoping for, however I met several people with off leash dogs. I want to follow the rules and am just wondering what locals think of this? It's a truly beautiful spot and I only did the "family hike"

Herron has some amazing trail systems that are well marked and good for running or hiking. Wildflowers are amazing, as well as the views. This can be an area where you do a short hike or a long hike. I’ve done a few miles with the kids here and I’ve also run a half marathon here. The trails go all the way to Blacktail Mtn. Really beautiful area.

Amazing view. There were three different lookouts that I found. One on Notch trail and then the one with the picnic table. Then the most stunning one at the end of Chase trail. That one was difficult to get to, lots of uphill but we have good stamina! Big sign at parking lot says “dogs must be on a leash” but not one person follows that law. Which is sad because I would love to bring my dog up there leashed but he has a difficult time with other dogs (past trauma? He’s a rescue) so that would end up being too stressful trying to keep other people’s dogs away from him. Sucks that people have to ruin it for others. But I would definitely hike this again.

I hiked this trail with a friend and my two Labs. There is ample parking with a toilet at the park entrance. This a multiple use area; mountain bikers and trail runners This is also a horse park. It is crisscrossed with trails. If you want to follow the trail on the map stick to the boundary trail on the outside. There are numerous central trails so one can make any length they desire. This outside trail goes up a ridge which offers views of the valley from Whitefish mtn. into the Park and down to Flathead Lake. There are a couple of nice picnic places with benches at the top along the ridge. The flowers were in bloom Glacier lily, shooting stars, yellow bells, and the arrow leaf balsam root is just coming into its glory. It is a dry trail so take along extra water. It was in the low 70's and sunny when we went and I did not carry enough water for the dogs so we cut the trip a little short. It is a pretty hike with many friendly people on the trail. There is a drainage ditch on the valley floor where I cooled the dogs off.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

great local trail for training.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Just on the outskirts of town, multiple trails.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Great hike close to town

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Great place! They have a small family hike and a harder 8mile hike that is pretty hard because it is straight up hill. Great biking trails! When you reach the lookout of the long hike it is beautiful!!

Monday, September 26, 2016

Nice moderate hike

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great trail for the whole family! The views from the "lookout" is spectacular! You can see the north end of Flathead Lake, the Mission Mountains and the tips of Glacier National Park - all in one view! the trails run from easy to moderate.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Fairly easy hike. Great for fast paced trail running with moderate steady climb. Trails are very well maintained with picnic tables at the top near the overlook. I bet this trail is easily accessible for cross country skiing after a heavy snow!

recorded Herron Park