Hell Roaring Creek Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This a beautiful canyon trail with a moderate climb on switchbacks until reaching to the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. I particularly enjoyed the views of Storm Castle from the west side of Gallatin Canyon. At first, I was confused why this trail said the "end" point was at 2.5 miles but it's because that's where the wilderness boundary technically starts. For the 5 miles out and back, you descend down into Hell Roaring canyon and eventually to the drainage. The lakes are much farther ahead on the trail. I'm not sure how many miles but I imagine it is too long for a day hike. This trail is probably popular for horseback riders as there is a shit ton of horse manure on the trail.

Really disappointed by this trail only because of our anticipation of a lake as shown in the pictures. There was no sign of an “end point” to the trail so my husband and I hiked about 5 miles before turning around.

Although the trail is filled with horse droppings, the creek is beautiful and worth doing if you’re looking for a shorter hike with slower, easier incline. Could be great for trail running if that’s your thing too.

Not a bad trail. Not to challenging. We had a six year old with us and she made it fine.

Beautiful hike but full of mud and horse droppings.

A otherwise beautiful trail ruined by horses.

We passed about 8 horses as we climbed to the ridge then continued down to the creek with our heads down avoiding the droppings and plowed up trail. . After crossing over the bridge the trail was almost impassable in places torn up by the horses and we finally turned back. (See pictures)

Monday, June 19, 2017

Beautiful! This was my favorite ride so far! We didn't do the entire thing but probably did about 3 miles in. Beginning of the trail is switch backs and a few areas had steep drop offs, slightly rocky portions with larger rocks but barefoot horses had no problem without boots. There were large areas of pastern deep mud after hell roaring creek bridge. One smallish creek required riding through. Nice variety of hill climbs and flat. Nice lunch area maybe a mile after hell roaring creek by the Spanish peaks sign. Saw two other horse groups and 3 hiking groups Saturday morning.

Monday, May 08, 2017

The river is pretty, but we walked 5 miles in and didn't get to any sort of end-point. Finally decided to turn around after passing about the 10th fallen tree across the trail.

I'm not sure if we just didn't walk far enough to reach the beautiful lake shown in Marcy's pictures for this trail or if that lake is unrelated to the trail all together...

Overall, I'd suggest skipping this hike in favor of Lava Lake or Storm Castle Peak.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Still nice for a casual hike even in the early winter.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Wet!

Monday, July 28, 2014

rolling (small) hills along a creek once you get up and over the first steeper part. very easy trail, lots of wildflowers this time of year. whitney was right about the horse poop, but its still a nice, easy trial, especially if you have dogs since you're always near the creek.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Would be excellent trail for trail runners. Only downside was the significant amount of horse poop present on the trail.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Good trail for hiking in the winter. You won't see many people or anyone at all on most days this time of the year but the trail is still pretty defined even with several inches of snow. During weeks with thaw like we had in January the trail will be pretty much slick with ice so bring spikes.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I came out this way after climbing Gallatin Peak. Mostly forest along a creek. Trail had some muddy boggy sections.

recorded Hell Roaring Creek Trail