Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Heart and Pearl Lakes Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(90)
Lolo National Forest

Heart and Pearl Lakes Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,627 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is amazing during the summer!! Worth the views and easy to follow.

hiked to heart and pearl lakes on 10/7/19. intermittant snow on the trail starting just below heart. hiked above pearl almost to the ridge. trail got too slick, so we turned around. GORGEOUS!! followed a set of goat tracks above pearl, but didn’t see any goats. easy, scenic hike.

I hiked this yesterday. It looks like the seasons went from summer, directly to winter. There is some autumn color in places. There is some snow on the trail to Heart Lake, but nothing to be concerned about. From Heart Lake to Pearl lake, there is about 2-3 inches of snow on much of the trail, but it won't really slow you down much. The views are truly stunning in places. There were two mountain goats up on the ridge above Pearl Lake.

Hiked 9/28/2019 Amazing fall colors. No accumulated snow but that will likely change tomorrow

Enjoyed this hike on 9/15/19, the lake was pristine and the trail was not super crowded. A bit of a drive to reach the trailhead. Definitely would recommend this hike!

beautiful, fairly easy hike. trail is in good condition. all water crossings can be done without getting your boots wet. we didn’t see any goats, but other people hiking today said they did. summer flowers are fading, fall colors are just beginning. gonna be gorgeous up there in a month or so. definitely take the time to hike to Pearl. i would do this hike again and go on to Dalton as well.

Great hike! This was a quick day hike. About 1.5 hours to Heart Lake. Started making the climb to Pearl Lake and got weathered ouf. Some trail clearing has been done since my last trip and it's not so over grown. Sometimes this trail gets lots of horse traffic. Lots of road apples. Always beautiful. The flowers in the early summer are amazing. Picked a few of the last Huckleberrys and Thimbleberrys. Late summer treat!

Considering a four-day camp/float tube trip to fly fish this lake. Not certain there are any fish in this lake. If I do not hear from anyone on this site, I will report back. Heading up in September when it is a bit cooler. Thoughts welcome.

WILD FLOWERS!!!!! I’ve never see. So many gorgeous wild flowers. I would surely do this hike again!!! The hike is popular and we passed by a good amount of people. If you’re looking for a hike with seclusion I would go during the early season and a week day. Still, I would recommend this hike to anybody. Great for camping on the lakes and very family friendly.

I’ve done this hike overnight many times and it is one of my favorites! Clear path and such gorgeous views. A bunch of mountain goats were by our camp all night last time which was distracting but super cool! Good fishing!

Snow is mainly gone. still plenty of spring run off through out parts of the hike. I would bring some shoes that can get wet and a little muddy. This hike is not for kids under the age of at minimum 10 I would say. Very pretty hike and lots of water features.

Wow! I day hiked this solo yesterday. The payoff for this was spectacular. Such a beautiful lake, had it almost to myself (just one other hiker while I was there). Needed water shoes for the last crossing near the outlet of the lake. Can't wait to get back and stay overnight. (Nicole - the campsites are all snow free - have fun!)

Looking to do a backpacking trip up here in the next 2 weeks. Are there clear spots to camp or is there still too much snow? Thanks!

Awesome day hike up to Heart and Pearl Lake. Great trail for dogs. Still some snow on the trail, but it was manageable. Plan on having your feet soaked by the end of the hike. Took us about 5.5 hours with a very leisurely pace. THIS HIKE IS BEAUTIFUL.

Mon May 20 2019

Great hike, there is still a lot of snow so the trail can be a little tough to follow. We camped at the front of heart lake instead of continuing around the left side. Couldn't find a clean route with all the snow. Probably 6-10 feet in spots. It was cold but definitely a good time.

Wed Oct 24 2018

This was one of my favorite backpacking hikes ever. We camped at Pearl and did a day hike to Dalton, well worth it. All of the lakes were gorgeous and the hike was moderate to Pearl, hard if you go onto Dalton because of the extra distance. I do not consider myself an avid hiker and more casual.

Fri Oct 19 2018

This hike was awesome in the fall! The colors were incredible (check out my pics), but the weather was a little iffy with sideways rain/wind. September was the perfect time with gorgeous fall colors. In October or later, I'd expect knee deep snow.

Tue Sep 18 2018

This is a really great trail especially now with fall colors! Trail wasn’t very crowded but has some spectacular views! Both lakes are really cool and you can continue to a third if you please! Lots of camping room by the lake as well! Follow all our adventures on Instagram @themicrotourists.

Fri Sep 14 2018

Beautiful moderate hike. Good camping by lake.as well

Fri Sep 07 2018

The directions on here were wrong for me. They took me up an old logging road which ended up being closed when you can just go straight into superior and follow the signs off the exit to the trailhead. Getting to heart is easy and then getting to pearl and dalton is a little more intense. Heart to pearl trail is a little overgrown. Keep on the trail going around pearls and the trail to dalton is very visible. I did this as a day hike. Had some fish nibbles in heart, skipped fishing and pearl, and had big fish nibbling and jumping at Dalton.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Beautiful trail. last mile in was the hardest, but with a few switchbacks it makes it very doable!! We base camped at heart lake 3 days and took day hikes up to Pearl lake and Dalton lake, and also to the state line ridge and hidden lake! it was Absolutely beautiful all of it! We camped at the south eastern end of the lake. Awesome spot!! fresh water near camp and goats to entertain us....although they did get abit too curious! Just had to clap and stomp and they scared away...

Tue Sep 04 2018

Such a beautiful, shaded hike. Will hike this trail, again and again.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Beautiful, rained the entire way but still so beautiful

Wed Aug 22 2018

great hike for kids!

Fri Aug 10 2018

This hike was amazing!!! It’s a very quick and easy hike up to heart lake (I am not a super frequent backpacker and weigh around 200lb so REALLY it’s an easy hike) the beginning is pretty much 2.5 miles of flat with about a 1/2 mile of elevation gain and then maybe another 1/2 mile to the lake. there are plenty of camping sights, we stayed at one at the very end that was fantastic. There are lots of mountain goats so pee far away from camp unless you want big, white, huffing visitors in the night. Great spot for first time backpackers or for a day hike. 10/10 planning to go back soon. P.S. the map that this site gives you through google is kind of crazy. I would recommend just googling the hike, every other site recommends I-90 exit 47 for superior onto diamond match road and then you follow that 30miles to the hike, much easier!

Thu Aug 09 2018

8/7-8/9/18. Easy hike, 30 pound pack made it more moderate. Beautiful trail that is well maintained. Stayed at Heart lake for 2 nights, lots of great campsites. Day hiked to Pearl, its not as pretty as Heart. The Mt. Goats were awesome!! Had 7 of them come into our campsite, not aggressive, just hung out for a little bit. Lots of little furry creatures, my dog finally caught her chipmunk. Not too busy during the week. Bugs weren't too bad with spray. The hike to Pearl is easy to miss it goes straight up from the trail, if you hit the marshy section you've gone to far. It was only about .5 mile from Heart. 2 fitbits logged 4 miles to the site we camped. Only 1.5 miles to hit Pearl and back. 9ish miles total for both lakes.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Beautiful hike, well maintained trail

Sun Jul 15 2018

A beautiful & scenic hike to Heart Lake! This makes a great day hike to Heart, or a fun backpacking weekend...several places to camp around Heart Lake, then day hike to Pearl & Dalton Lakes, or do an all-day hike on the ridge overlooking the lakes. Lots of mountain goats, wildflowers, & fishing!