Haystack Butte Trail

Haystack Butte Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

1948 feet

AMAZING hike! My husband and I took our 15 and 12 year old sons on this hike a few days ago. The scenery is beyond description! Beautiful and stunning don't even come close to describing it. I would rate it as easy-moderate. There is a bit of up and down, but nothing really steep until the final climb to the saddle at Haystack Butte. Don't be scared off by the narrow path with the straight down cliff to the road below ;) I was fearful before heading out, but felt safe holding onto the cable. Just don't look down if heights scare you! The wildflowers are beautiful. We entered the park at West Glacier at 6:18 and arrived at Logan Pass at 7:15. The lot was about 1/3 full, but was completely full by 8:10. Take sunscreen, water and snacks. Never felt the need for bug spray, but I live in an area where mosquitoes are rampant so if there were any I didn't notice. We carried bear spray, but never saw any. The trail was pretty well traveled so bears likely stay away.
DO THIS HIKE!

This was a fantastic trail. I wouldn't call it easy. It was labeled as medium to strenuous at the trail head. We went a little further than the Butte. The views are breathtaking and don't let the area that has a cable keep you from going. It's plenty wide.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Sunday, December 09, 2012

I believe this is closer to Logan Pass than essex....Beautiful either way but if your looking for the trail head...Im pretty sure your going to have to take the Going To The Sun Road and perhaps head out on the Highline trail towards granite park.