Grinnell Glacier Trail

Grinnell Glacier Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

fly fishing

Amazing hike! We were told there was a wait list for the boats so decided just to walk around the lakes, which were pretty level and easy. The rest climbs pretty consistently and you get views of another lake, waterfalls to walk through, etc. We saw a bighorn sheep and a moose from very far away. The lake at the end by the glacier is breathtaking. We put our feet in and it was freezing! You can also explore up there a bit and see some surprises. I am not used to high elevations, so I was out of breath pretty frequently on the way up. So with lots of breaks the whole thing took about 8.5 hours and my phone said 13 miles, but you can do it in less time! It was pretty well-traveled throughout. Really incredible experience and highly recommended.

Holy Moses this is one of the most epic trails I've ever been on! A must do amongst the many other beautiful trails out there.

I highly recommend this hike!! Amazing scenery and views from top to bottom. You can end the hike with a quick jump in the glacier lake.

It'll be hard to top the beauty of this hike

We found the hike steep and rocky ... but very beautiful

One of the prettiest hikes I've ever done - while the boat shaves off a few miles, walking passed the first two lakes was incredibly scenic and I think worth the extra mileage. Glad I saw the entire trail.

Great hike! We did this with our 4 month, 5yr, 8yr, and 11yr old. It was a challenging hike, but the views were worth it! Bring lots of water! We had 5 hydration packs full and ended up running out of water a mile before the Glacier. Thanks to some kind hikers, they filled us up with some water on their way down. :)

I'm 56. A moderate/strenuous trail. This is my all-time favorite trail to date! The scenery and wildlife is absolutely spectacular!

Walked the whole thing, took the boat back. The views are worth the climb! Very little shade, so be prepared. Good shoes with traction are a must. The path can get narrow so if you are afraid of heights, take it slow. You are climbing once you leave Lake Josephine, steadily. Don't be afraid to take breaks!