Grayling and Lion Lakes

Grayling and Lion Lakes is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wisdom, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My dad, my 14 year old daughter, and I hiked in for my dad’s 62nd birthday. We spent two nights at Lion lake and fished both lakes. It was the perfect trail, with just enough difficulty to make it challenging yet enjoyable. We’re already planning another trip back!

The trail was awesome!! Absolutely breathtaking once to greyling lake and lionhead lake fished both lakes. The girlfriend and I had way better luck at greyling lake for fishing. But all of it was breath taking. We loved it and are planning next trip with our two boys for a longer stay. We also had trouble finding the trail using altrails direction which took us to lower canyon road. But other then it was amazing!!! Also 5 miles carrying packs may start to feel like 9miles.but we had a blast!! Also Lion head is not 3mils more from greyling lake it's more like 5mins or a 100 yards

The trailhead was inaccessible due to road closure and we were not able to get to the trail.

Amazing hike

Monday, August 07, 2017

Well maintained and easy to follow trail. We tracked it at 5 miles to Greyling Lake and elected not to go on to Lion Lake. Grade was as described - gentler the first 2 miles and nicely spaced switchbacks the second half. Crossed the creek 3 times on well placed rocks.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Very well maintained trail for how little use it gets. Did an overnight trip here. 5.5 miles to lion lake. Great campsites. Caught one fish is lion lake. quite a bit of snow still around the backside of lion lake. Great trail!

Saturday, November 12, 2016