Granite Lake is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Libby, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length11.2 miElevation gain2,014 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashBackpackingFishingHikingForestLakeRiverViewsWaterfallWildlifeBridge outBugsMuddyOver grownWashed outOff trail
Description
Waypoints (0)

Beautiful well maintained trail along Granite Creek. A nice swimming hole a few miles in. Stunning views. Enjoy!

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (68)
Photos (109)
Recordings (40)
Completed (138)
Charles Miles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 21, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyOff trailSnow

Good amount if snow this time of year. the last half mile up logging road up to the trail is covered in snow. got lost a little with there being not many signs but made to the trail after some exploration. trail is not usable when covered in snow a little hard to find and easy to get off trail but the views are worth it. will go back next year in summer.

Aesha Scott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
HikingGreat!

Absolutely gorgeous hike!! The view at the end looks like a fake backdrop it’s so stunning. Not sure why this hike is rated hard though, it’s long sure but the gradient is VERY easy. I don’t think we got puffed once. Def recommend!

Leo Schmeltzer
Hiking

Road in: Very easy. Limited off-pavement. Old logging road leads straight to and dead-ends at the trail head, impossible to miss it. Trail: Many downed trees/debris, but overall very nice. When you come to a split in the trail for Hikers or Pack & Saddle, stay with Hikers. Is only a small detour and it takes you to a new log bridge. The four creek crossings: first one utilizes the newly built log bridge. Second one uses a blown down tree; the root ball has great hand and foot holds. The third and fourth crossing have no useable logs nor are there enough rocks to step on. They will require wading across. The Lake: Absolutely breathtaking. Well worth the downed trees and creek crossings. There is a camp site right at the end of the trail as well as over to the right. There may be more but I didn't explore.

View Leo's Recording
Sam whatever
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 2, 2020
BackpackingBlowdownGreat!MuddyOff trailOver grown

Amazing fall colors right now, an absolute must hike for this time of year! First 2 miles of the trail are good, new signage indicating trails for hikers/pack and saddle is up and you definitely should take the hiker route. If you attempt the PS route you will get wet and the trail is extremely overgrown, and the brand new log crossing on the hiker section is spectacular! Alltrails will say youre off route, but just follow the trail and youll see after the log bridge where the old trail cuts in. Second crossing is marked with cairns on both end but just downstream is a dry but a bit more arduous way to get over by monkeying up a massive fallen fir log. Third crossing there is a log jam just downstream from the trail markings by the creek and if you would rather take a bit more time and stay dry its the best way to go, partially marked with green flags. Trail from this point is difficult, and becomes extremely overgrown with devils club and thimbleberry and it gets worse after the somewhat easier fourth crossing (rock hop). From there doesnt take long to see A peak and Snowshoe and the lake itself is absolutely stunningly gorgeous! Words cant describe how it looks in fall with the colors! We camped for a night and two other groups came up and occupied the spaces across the log jam to the East and the spot just West from the log jam. On the way back my only tip is to keep your eyes peeled before the new log crossing as the trail split isnt marked from this side and you can easily continue up the old pack and saddle trail if you aren't careful.

View Sam's Recording
Michael Pinter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail along Granite Creek, early fall colors, a waterfall, and Mama Moose. The wildfire smoke cast an eerie pall over all. Definitely worth a return trip.

View Michael's Recording
Angel Evans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2020
CampingGreat!Over grown

The trail was maintained really well considering the vegetation. We put all our stuff up in trees and it help prevent the deer from bothering us all night. The bugs weren’t to bad and didn’t have to use any bug spray. A nice swimming hole a few miles in. Got our feet wet through stream crossings and opted for a few other routes on the way back to prevent squishy wet feet. 100% worth the hike but be prepared because it is a lot longer then 11.2. There was a mama moose with her two calves we encountered right at the trail head but as long as you leave her alone she will do the same. Such an amazing few days and would totally do it again.

Elizabeth Diemer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 22, 2020
HikingGreat!Over grown

We hiked in 8/22 for a one night overnight. Trail conditions for the first 3/4 were great -- lots of recent maintenance made the route easy to follow. The last 1/4 of the trail were overgrown (as previously noted), but the foliage wasn't prickly or thorny, so perfectly manageable. We were glad to have worn pants, though! We encountered 4 river crossings -- the first two were very easily navigated by log; the second two took some finesse, but we managed to keep our boots dry. Final mileage came to 13.6 roundtrip vs the 11.2 noted on AllTrails. Campsites were in great condition -- we arrived close to 6PM and still had a few sites to choose from. Lots of mule deer kept us up most of the night as they explored our campsite -- we were glad to have brought all clothes and bags into our tent/under the rainfly. Camp neighbors noted seeing two bears during their trek in, and we saw one grizzly (about 30 yds off the trail) as we made our way out.

Trisha Thorman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingOver grown

The Granite Lake vista is one of my favorites... oh and the swimming is great too! Yeah, the trail is a little overgrown, but I've definitely been on worse (like where you have to duck down the whole time and "swim" through the vegetation). I was able to do all the creek crossings both ways without taking my boots off or getting them wet. Yay for late season water levels! If the trail is wet from dew or recent rain the overgrowth would be more annoying but you can see your feet on the trail almost the whole time. Maybe later season means more beat down of the thick of it. Mostly thimble berry overgrowth and leafy bushes which are kind on the skin, hardly any stinging nettles or devils club overgrowth. PS: amazing job to the trail crew that just put in a new trail and new log bridge for the first creek crossing. SKILLS!

Suzy Moe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingOver grown

Holy overgrown sections Batman! That aside, what a fantastic trail! Was about 12.5 miles in about 6 hrs--including snack & water breaks-- from parking lot, to Granite Lake & back. Many great spots for humans & beasts to cool off in the refreshing water! Worth the effort with a nice array of views.

Trevor Schneider
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingGreat!Over grown

Had 2 Mule Deer does continuously Raid my camp all night, at one point I was chasing a doe up the hill at 2:00am with my sweaty shirt in its mouth chewing on it lol. They must be very salt deprived as they chewed on everything that was wore on the 85 degree hike up. Didn’t matter how many times I chased them away 2 minutes later they were back going through our gear until about 6 in the morning. Side note all food was up in a tree away from camp so no food was there to be had, just gear to go through. Just wanted to warn people so they didn’t think it was a bear going through there bag like I thought at first haha.

Luke Hayduk

Did this trail in shorts and chacos a year ago this week. The last bit where it gets overgrown was my favorite part. Tons of wildflowers. Probably should have worn pants.

Amanda Wallingford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 24, 2020
HikingOver grownScramble

14 miles roundtrip. The lake view is a 5, but the hike itself is a 1. The first 2.5 miles had been cleaned up. Then you get to the first water crossing, if you continue on a little farther you can cross by log or slower water. About the 3rd mile there is a gorgeous little waterfall. From mile 2.5 - 5 is it overgrown with 6’+ tall weeds. You’ll also have another 2 water crossings. One has a nice log. Mile 5-7, the trail is horrid. At mile 6 you’ll have your last water crossing and then the trail gets even worse. Cannot see the trail, cannot see your feet, lots of roots and rocks to trip over and weeds 5’-7’ tall. Very thick, almost claustrophobic. Then you get to the lake and the view is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

View Amanda's Recording
Peyton Howard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingGreat!Over grown

WEAR PANTS - I repeat WEAR PANTS. It took about 8 hours round trip to complete the hike, and the end view was awesome. However, the last few miles of the hike are very difficult, and the trail is hard see through the 6-foot nettles. The view of the lake is spectacular, and the waterfalls along the way are amazing. I recommend you take water shoes to wade through the stream crossings and PANTS/LONG SLEEVE SHIRT to get you through the overgrow brush. Overall great hike with some obstacles!

Mike Tacchella
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
WalkingBlowdownMuddyOver grown

I wanted so much to be able to give this 5 stars. At the same time I could give it 1 star. The hike itself deserves 0. Very overgrown. If you start the hike and before the first stream crossing you are considering turning around, then do it. Trust me it gets way worse. 6-8 foot tall nettles and you can’t even see the trail, or your feet for that matter. The last 1.5 miles was absolutely miserable. You have to cross the stream 4 times. There’s a log for one, the others you have to wade through the water. Not a huge deal, just have to be aware of it. Views are basically non existent until right before the end of the trail but I was so busy trying to see my feet under the nettles that I hardly noticed. Now, on the other hand, the lake is fantastic. Absolutely stunning. Magnificent. One of the best Alpine lakes I’ve hiked to, and I’ve hiked to a lot. My 10 year old and I built a raft out of logs and he paddled around. I day hiked to the lake with my wife and 10 and 5 year old and our golden doodle. The hike itself is not really challenging, just long (I recorded 14.1 miles) it’s just the overgrown and stream crossings that add some challenge. Would I do it again? Not in its current condition. If it were cleared, absolutely.

View Mike's Recording
Erin Bergey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
HikingOver grown

This was a great trail! Like other reviews mention - be prepared for creek (more like a river) crossings this time of year and over grown sections towards the top. Trekking poles are great or pick up a sturdy stick that people have been leaving at the trail head or creek crossings. We saw a moose on the way out and the lake was full of little cuttys. All in all it was very fun and worth it to get to the lake for the views! My Strava app put the round trip mileage at about 15 miles. We ended up camping on the East side of the lake which requires some log crossing. I highly recommend this hike!

Brian Rouse
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

Wear pants or bring a machete

View Brian's Recording