Granite Lake

Granite Lake is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Libby, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, and backpacking and is best used from June until October.

fly fishing

bridge out

This is a decent hike that is best done as a multi-day trip to fully enjoy it thoroughly. There are great views, lush forest, a river, waterfalls, and a beautifully pristine lake.

Wow... That applies both to the end destination and the work required to get there. The trail was mostly snow free, but the streams are super high and you have to cross 4 times with no infrastructure support. There were downed logs on the first three that allow you to get across mostly dry (if you do it well).. the 4th requires just wading across ( was mid shin high where I crossed). Two of the three log crossings are pretty sketchy (read inadvisable) and the trail is poorly marked.

However, the end destination is stunning.. I had the trail and the lake at the end completely to myself until about 2 miles from the trailhead on my return. That was when I encountered two wolves jogging up the path, which was an awesome encounter although a bit unnerving when they weren't particularly eager to leave me alone. The first person was at a mile from the trailhead. The lake is beautiful and there a a couple of clear campsites there for those so inclined. I wish I had my gear with me to stay the night.

Time of year: September

This is quite the hike. It can be strenuous at times on the way up. I've hiked this one a few times in the past and the cedar groves were beautiful; however, due to wildfires the beginning part of the trail can be grim because of the damage. The damage was significant enough to affect the trail as well, forcing us to backtrack occasionally for getting lost. Thankfully, closer to the lake the forest is mostly untouched. There are also a few river crossings, so prepare to get your feet wet.

We backpacked this trail, and campsites can be found along both sides of lake, some are fairly bigger than others.

The hike itself is not what makes this trail a good one, but the lake. The views from the lake are beautiful. The surrounding rock face is spectacular to look at. For those that enjoy ridge hiking, they might find this lake bit frustrating however. Simply trying to hike around the lake was difficult due to the thick foliage that was often over my head.

All and all its a good hike with some spectacular views, but the difficultly of trying to ridge hike and the damage done by the wildfire is somewhat unpleasant.

Long hike but trail was pretty clear and brush wasnt the bad for the last 2 miles

fly fishing
Monday, June 23, 2014

Great hike! High water made for some very interesting log crossings. All was going well until about a mile from the lake. The trail had been completely destroyed by an avalanche. Be careful when crossing due to the ice crevices below the fallen trees and debris. Try to keep a straight line to find the trail on the opposite side of the chute.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Granite lake and granite falls were beautiful however because of high summer growth i had to cut my way through the trail and in some places i had to stop and look for a bit at the bushes to see where people and animals had been thro nice hike overall but i would recomend taking a bush wacker.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

This was a really good hike with alot of amazing views of the mountains. When we went however, there were quite a few trees down across the trail, and the first river crossing was out, so we were forced to bushwack through the forest in order to find another crossing point (which was necessary during early summer due to the high water flow of Granite Creek). However, it was all worth is, as the view of the mountains around Granite Lake were amazing.