Golden Trout Lakes Trail

Golden Trout Lakes Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Do NOT GO ON THIS TRAIL RIGHT NOW! It is absolutely beautiful but I can imagine it is much more manageable when you can drive to the trail head and hike. It is currently 8+ feet of snow! We did the entire thing just so our dogs could explore. We walked 1 1/2 + miles from the closed road to the sign that states 3 miles to trail head. Once we go to the actual trail head it stated 2.5 miles to the lake. Definitely more than that... once we got there it was completely frozen over. Not to be unexpected with all the snow! We were just hiking in for fun! Not sure when this trail will be ready to use but not anytime soon! We walked 15 miles round trip! It was a beautiful blast in our eyes but if you are looking to fish, look somewhere else!!

Beautiful hike, and we had a great time fishing!!

It was difficult driving up the road to get to the beginning of the trail, so I recommend a vehicle that can handle the rough road; preferably a truck or AWD. Once you get to the beginning of the trail, the hike is a nice little workout until you reach the final location of Golden Trout Lakes. I believe that the roundtrip distance is a little off compared to this site in my opinion, but I totally recommend this hike to anyone.

fly fishing

road frikin stinks, caughts me sum phatees at the top tho

Beautiful hike, but uncertain footing along much of the rock-strewn trail. Gorgeous views make this fairly strenuous climb worth it. Unfortunately, a storm blew in sent us back down the hill about a quarter-mile from the lakes. #NextTime

This is a very beautiful trail with a nice reward at the end. I will bring a fishing pole next time. I've been trying to catch a Golden Trout for years! I had no idea they existed in MT. The trail was well marked and in good shape. I would rate this as an easy trail, but then again I'm an experienced hiker.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Monday, September 28, 2015

great hiking, fishing and camping!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

It was a great day hike even for the kids! My 5 yr old made it up and back. We were able to catch a total of 5 Golden Trouts while fishing the lake. It's a gorgeous lake in a beautiful spot!! I would recommend it to others for sure! The road getting there has some rough spots and certainly isn't great for cars.

Thursday, August 07, 2014

This trailhead is somewhat difficult to find. You go up portal creek rd until you see upper portal creek trailhead. Note: the road is not in the best shape and may be difficult to drive a sedan. Then you can park and walk past the trailhead sign and see the golden trout lakes trailhead which will take you about 1.5 miles then you will find trail number 83 to the left and veer off that direction. Great Lake. Great golden trout

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Good place to try to catch a Golden Trout. Nice hike, starts out pretty flat then gains pretty quick.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This is a great little hidden gem in the Gallatin Canyon. The trail is definitely a challenge, but the pay off is worth the work. Crystal clear water, soaring peaks to the south, and as much sky as your eyes can take in. Bring your fly rod if you can brave the chilly alpine waters. If you want to hike further, there is additional trail that will take you to the peak to the south. Great place for lunch and photos!