Going-to-the-Sun Road: West Glacier to Saint Mary

Going-to-the-Sun Road: West Glacier to Saint Mary is a 49 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 49.0 miles Elevation Gain: 5,603 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Montana's Glacier National Park spans 50 miles through the park's wild interior, winding around mountainsides and treating visitors to some of the best sights in northwest Montana and the whole US. Open Season Portions of Going-to-the-Sun Road remain open all year and provide access to many locations and activities. The opening of the alpine portion varies, based on snowfall and plowing progress. There is no set date for the road to open. Typically the road has been fully open in late June or early July. Closing portions of Going-to-the-Sun Road is also weather dependent. Typically the road is fully open until the third Monday of October (for 2018 that will be October 15th), but that can change due to weather conditions at any point.

We took this road for about 1.5hrs, beginning at St. Mary and ending at Lake McDonald. The views are incredible. You can make a whole day trip out of pulling over every couple miles to take pictures.

very beautiful. I enjoy every moment drive in it

Amazing

the road of a lifetime

Took a shuttle to the top and St Mary's East side. Total time from St Mary's side to Apgar visitors center is 2 hours 15 minutes via Shuttle. Highly advised to take it if you want to spend time taking pictures of the mountains and glaciers.

Must do when at GNP. Make sure you allocate extra 2 to 3 hours to stop at each tourist point to take some pictures

The Mainland America “Road to Hana”. Get here super super early as the RV’s like to take their time, but who wouldn’t with the epic views! Note: They’re closing this road for a few weeks in September to finalize preservation of this wonderful road.

Beautiful and so worth it. There are plenty of places to stop and take it the sights.

scenic driving

One of the top 3 most beautiful drives I have EVER done, alongside with the Icefields Parkway in Banff/Jasper National Park and the Glacier Point road in Yosemite National Park. This drive is a must do!!! Gets busy on weekends and afternoons though so I would recommend early mornings for optimal experience!!

Toughest bike trail I've ever done, from Avalanche Lake trailhead to Logan's Pass. But there are plenty of places to stop and rest and the views are second to none.

Biked this one—beautiful ride

walked a good few miles on the road, as it was still closed to cars. Beautiful scenery, can't wait to go back in the summer when the road is open and I can bring a mountain bike!

Still one of my favorites of all time!

scenic driving

EPIC view! You have to check it out if visiting.

My dog and I walk/run the Going-to-the-Sun Road once it's the off-season and it's perfect. It's beautiful and quiet and very few cars go by. Once the roads are closed to traffic dogs are not allowed on them though. When it's completely covered in snow it's a great place to Snowshoe or cross-country ski.

Fantastic Bike Ride.

Whether you’re biking the road in May, driving it in the crowds of July, or enjoying the quiet after 10pm, this road is unbelievable.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Amazing

Monday, August 06, 2018

Stayed in St. Marys, drove through multiple times, but also got to do the red bus tour (which I highly recommend). Such a beautiful place to experience.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

SO BEAUTIFUL! Pictures doesn’t serve the scenery justice.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

One of my all time favourite drives next to Icefields Parkway in Banff. Good memories here with my boyfriend. I'll forever cherish this drive.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. My favorite trip was at sunrise.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Of all the places I have the opportunity to drive this has to be on the top of my list. The views are unbelievable from the top. I’ve had the chance to not only drive this road but I’ve been able bike and snowshoe this road in the winter. Pro: unbelievable experience with both scenic and wildlife experience. Con: large crowds during summertime, very steep, limited parking. Best time to visit: First two weeks of October just before they close it for the winter.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

There is no better road in America. Don’t believe me... try it.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Biking this road before the season opens for vehicle traffic was the best decision we made while visiting Glacier. June 2018. We parked at Avalanche Lake and biked to Logan’s Pass, one of the most amazing things we have ever done! I have walked the Cliffs of Moher, climbed the Sydney Bridge etc etc BUT this trek was THE best!

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Thursday, June 28, 2018

It was worth going once, but I wouldn't go again. Be cautious if you have a fear of heights.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

We biked the GTTSR early June on a weekend Caught the free shuttle from Apgar Visitors Center to Avalanche parking lot. Apgar Village has a place to rent bikes The shuttle has a bike trailer to haul bikes. We didn’t make it all the way to Logan Pass but did get about 10 miles up the road. The views are breathtaking and so many turnouts to stop and enjoy the park. I would recommend doing this to everyone in good physical condition even if you don’t get all the way to the pass , its a great way to experience the park. There were a lot of bikers but no cars because the road was closed from Avalanche on. Saw black bear with cub right along the edge of the road on the way down. When you get to the Loop take the Loop trail for a short walk to some Falls for a break There were all age groups doing the bike ride from young children to 60’s so if you are in decent condition you can definitely do it!

Monday, October 23, 2017

So many trails, mind blowing sights, definitely try to spend a weekend or long weekend camping to make the most of it.