Going-to-the-Sun Road - West Glacier to Saint Mary Scenic Drive

Going-to-the-Sun Road - West Glacier to Saint Mary Scenic Drive is a 49 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for road biking and scenic driving and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Montana's Glacier National Park spans 50 miles through the park's wild interior, winding around mountainsides and treating visitors to some of the best sights in northwest Montana and the whole US.

So many trails, mind blowing sights, definitely try to spend a weekend or long weekend camping to make the most of it.

scenic driving

Take the yellow bus tour & enjoy the views without having to concentrate on driving! You get several stops along the way & the driver had a lot of facts (& stories) to tell us.

If you have a chance to bike it, do it. It's strenuous but gives you the best views and is exhilarating coming down.

Plan your entire day around it.

great views great fun

scenic driving

Beautiful scenery. Lots of traffic. Super crowded parking lot at Logan Pass.

I walked seven miles (14 mi RT) of a closed-to-vehicles GTTSR in late April (shoulder-season) after discovering the only hiking trail open near the west entrance was socked in with clouds. I parked at McDonald Lodge (worth snooping around, even if off-season -- I felt like I was in the Shining!) and started at the road gates there. This walk was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I essentially had Glacier NP all to myself, outside of two hikers I saw in the first five minutes, two cyclists (awesome idea when the road is closed to vehicles and temps are mild!), and a handful of Rangers patrolling the road in their trucks. SO peaceful; just a brilliant day. I know I didn't get to experience the true Glacier (and I will return during summertime one year to do that), but I feel incredibly lucky to have seen the park like this. I recommend a day visit during late-spring if you're anywhere near Glacier for this unique experience.

Drive this road at different times of day, drive from both directions, and stop often to take pictures! This is one of the best drives in the country!

scenic driving

Amazing place! One of the prettiest places I've been. Lots of nice hiking trails as well. Saw lots of animals and snow! Will definitely go back someday.

scenic driving

Stunning views! We were even lucky enough to see a mamma bear with her cub by St Mary's lake.

scenic driving

Breathtaking experience. The magnificent views and fresh mountain air are unforgettable. Frequent scenic lookout stops available, where you can take great panoramic pictures and read interesting information. The road is narrow, and there are many bikers, so caution is advised while driving, because it is easy to get mesmerized by the views.

The views come early and often and are worth every step. the concrete is hard on the knees, but the lack of vehicles is nice.

scenic driving

Incredible drive. Go early in the morning before the traffic becomes heavy.

scenic driving

We drove the entire stretch almost every day of a two week stay, and were amazed by something every time. The colors of the aspen in fall were spectacular. And the amount and diversity of the wildlife was phenomenal - Grizzly, black bear, bighorns, mountain goats, mule deer, elk, and even moose...many visible from the vehicle!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Drive slow don't miss the scenery!

Thursday, December 01, 2016

One of best drives you will ever take, great views of Lake McDonald, breath taking views of park as you climb. This road can be used for hiking, and biking, just check in with the park to see what days to use.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This is our 2nd time on this road, 1st time was in '09. I didn't get any video footage the 1st time, so I had to come back, it was just as busy as it was the 1st time. But we still enjoyed the experience. Being a Stephen King fan, and driving the road to the opening scene on "The Shining", I felt like a King.

Friday, September 23, 2016

It's the best park by far with spectacular trails and breathtaking views! Depending on the time of year you can see all types of wildlife such as grizzly and black bears. deer, elk, moose to name a few. Highly recommend!

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Amazing ride from begging till finnish

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Best view in the park from a vehicle! Love this park.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Amazing views but a bit cold. It was 46 degrees when we got to Logan Pass and it was July!