Going-to-the-Sun Road - West Glacier to Saint Mary Scenic Drive

Going-to-the-Sun Road - West Glacier to Saint Mary Scenic Drive is a 49 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for road biking and scenic driving and is best used from May until November.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Montana's Glacier National Park spans 50 miles through the park's wild interior, winding around mountainsides and treating visitors to some of the best sights in northwest Montana and the whole US.

Fantastic Bike Ride.

Whether you’re biking the road in May, driving it in the crowds of July, or enjoying the quiet after 10pm, this road is unbelievable.

Amazing

scenic driving

SO BEAUTIFUL! Pictures doesn’t serve the scenery justice.

One of my all time favourite drives next to Icefields Parkway in Banff. Good memories here with my boyfriend. I'll forever cherish this drive.

scenic driving

The most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. My favorite trip was at sunrise.

scenic driving

Of all the places I have the opportunity to drive this has to be on the top of my list. The views are unbelievable from the top. I’ve had the chance to not only drive this road but I’ve been able bike and snowshoe this road in the winter.
Pro: unbelievable experience with both scenic and wildlife experience.
Con: large crowds during summertime, very steep, limited parking.
Best time to visit: First two weeks of October just before they close it for the winter.

scenic driving

There is no better road in America. Don’t believe me... try it.

Biking this road before the season opens for vehicle traffic was the best decision we made while visiting Glacier. June 2018. We parked at Avalanche Lake and biked to Logan’s Pass, one of the most amazing things we have ever done! I have walked the Cliffs of Moher, climbed the Sydney Bridge etc etc BUT this trek was THE best!

scenic driving

It was worth going once, but I wouldn't go again. Be cautious if you have a fear of heights.

We biked the GTTSR early June on a weekend Caught the free shuttle from Apgar Visitors Center to Avalanche parking lot. Apgar Village has a place to rent bikes The shuttle has a bike trailer to haul bikes. We didn’t make it all the way to Logan Pass but did get about 10 miles up the road. The views are breathtaking and so many turnouts to stop and enjoy the park. I would recommend doing this to everyone in good physical condition even if you don’t get all the way to the pass , its a great way to experience the park. There were a lot of bikers but no cars because the road was closed from Avalanche on. Saw black bear with cub right along the edge of the road on the way down. When you get to the Loop take the Loop trail for a short walk to some Falls for a break There were all age groups doing the bike ride from young children to 60’s so if you are in decent condition you can definitely do it!

So many trails, mind blowing sights, definitely try to spend a weekend or long weekend camping to make the most of it.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Take the yellow bus tour & enjoy the views without having to concentrate on driving! You get several stops along the way & the driver had a lot of facts (& stories) to tell us.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

If you have a chance to bike it, do it. It's strenuous but gives you the best views and is exhilarating coming down.

Plan your entire day around it.

Monday, July 24, 2017

great views great fun

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Beautiful scenery. Lots of traffic. Super crowded parking lot at Logan Pass.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I walked seven miles (14 mi RT) of a closed-to-vehicles GTTSR in late April (shoulder-season) after discovering the only hiking trail open near the west entrance was socked in with clouds. I parked at McDonald Lodge (worth snooping around, even if off-season -- I felt like I was in the Shining!) and started at the road gates there. This walk was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I essentially had Glacier NP all to myself, outside of two hikers I saw in the first five minutes, two cyclists (awesome idea when the road is closed to vehicles and temps are mild!), and a handful of Rangers patrolling the road in their trucks. SO peaceful; just a brilliant day. I know I didn't get to experience the true Glacier (and I will return during summertime one year to do that), but I feel incredibly lucky to have seen the park like this. I recommend a day visit during late-spring if you're anywhere near Glacier for this unique experience.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Drive this road at different times of day, drive from both directions, and stop often to take pictures! This is one of the best drives in the country!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Amazing place! One of the prettiest places I've been. Lots of nice hiking trails as well. Saw lots of animals and snow! Will definitely go back someday.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Stunning views! We were even lucky enough to see a mamma bear with her cub by St Mary's lake.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Breathtaking experience. The magnificent views and fresh mountain air are unforgettable. Frequent scenic lookout stops available, where you can take great panoramic pictures and read interesting information. The road is narrow, and there are many bikers, so caution is advised while driving, because it is easy to get mesmerized by the views.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The views come early and often and are worth every step. the concrete is hard on the knees, but the lack of vehicles is nice.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Incredible drive. Go early in the morning before the traffic becomes heavy.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

We drove the entire stretch almost every day of a two week stay, and were amazed by something every time. The colors of the aspen in fall were spectacular. And the amount and diversity of the wildlife was phenomenal - Grizzly, black bear, bighorns, mountain goats, mule deer, elk, and even moose...many visible from the vehicle!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Drive slow don't miss the scenery!

Thursday, December 01, 2016

One of best drives you will ever take, great views of Lake McDonald, breath taking views of park as you climb. This road can be used for hiking, and biking, just check in with the park to see what days to use.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This is our 2nd time on this road, 1st time was in '09. I didn't get any video footage the 1st time, so I had to come back, it was just as busy as it was the 1st time. But we still enjoyed the experience. Being a Stephen King fan, and driving the road to the opening scene on "The Shining", I felt like a King.

Friday, September 23, 2016

It's the best park by far with spectacular trails and breathtaking views! Depending on the time of year you can see all types of wildlife such as grizzly and black bears. deer, elk, moose to name a few. Highly recommend!

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Amazing ride from begging till finnish