Four Mile Basin

Four Mile Basin is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anaconda, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a great trail to some beautiful lakes. It’s amazing how quickly the trees have grown in this area. I was saddened by how much garbage there was at Four Mile Basin (Lower Lake.) People tried to burn aluminum foil, foil food pouches, etc. Lots of t.p. in areas...

Road to trail in very bad shape. Need to be on that road for about 4 miles. Not the kind of road you want to drive with a passenger car.

This trail splits about two miles in, can go right to Four Mike Basin, or lefts to Twin Lakes. Haven’t been to Four Mike Basin, but did do the ~7.6 mile round trip to Twin Lakes. Absolutely beautiful views the entire way, several creek and river crossings on cute bridges, lots of places for dogs to drink. Very gradual climb, I’d honestly rate this as an easy hike. Took my 12 pound mutt on this, and didn’t have any difficulty. Hardest part of the hike was the last half mile to the lakes, since it’s in dense trees and snow completely covered the trail. Lots of fresh moose and elk scat. Very easy and pretty hike!

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

nice easy trail snowed on us week before labor day

Monday, July 30, 2018

Had never hiked before and went on this trail when I was 17 back in 1995 with friends. Fell asleep at the end by the lake and woke up to back spasms. When I stood up I found that a flying squirrel had crept under the small of my back and was sleeping with me. Took me 23 years to find this place again.

Monday, July 09, 2018

Hiked the trail on July 6th. The trail was cleared of all downfall. Beautiful views coming out. Moderately easy hike.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Great trail. Only gets a little tough near the lake because there is still a lot of snow to get through.

recorded Recording - Jun 09, 02:29 PM