Fairy Lake Trail

Fairy Lake Trail is a 5 mile loop trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Main street in Bozeman take Bridger Canyon Road (Hwy 86) North for roughly 26 miles. Turn left on Fairy Lake Road and follow for 11 miles to the campground. The last 5 miles of road is gravel.

The road getting there was rougher than expected (at least in a VW golf) but the area is beautiful.

So we had to park in the lower parking lot due to the snow, which made this a lot longer of a hike! It was about 12-13 miles round trip. We could not believe it when we saw you could drive right up to the lake in the summer.. haha. The trailhead sign was buried in snow. It was HARD in the snow, not to mention it started blizzarding when we got to the frozen lake. Made for a fun adventure though & those mountain views at the top were amazing, plus the absolute silence. I can't imagine how it would look when it was a clear day!! If your feeling adventurous, go for it in the Winter :)

Beautiful Hike!!! We took the longer way to get there but we made it!!! So pretty breathtaking

Beautiful lake! I only walked around the lake, not the full trail. Next time...

Fairy Lake is gorgeous. It is a really easy 'hike'. Only thing is that I did notice some leaches in the water.

There were private property/keep out signs all over, made us very uncomfortable. There's a fork in the road once you reach the Fairy Lake National Forest area, if you go left (like a sheriff told us to do) it has a security gate and access is completely blocked. The sheriff assured us it was all public land, but it was just not the kind of day we were looking for; No relaxation or hiking to be found there for us. Left and hiked another NF area. There was also a group of around ten law enforcement vehicles out there today, pretty odd.

fly fishing

I love this hike, it was very easy, never really out of breath. I saw a lot of wildlife signs... which is good :) the lake is just beautiful! there is a rope swing for those who want to hop in for a dip. great hike in my opinion!

the drive to the lane was way worse than the hike. the hike was basically a walk around the lake but it was beautiful and offered great views in some areas id you went off the trail just a bit.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Fairy Lake is a truly breath-taking alpine lake hidden in the Bridger Range. The road gets pretty rough about 2-3 mi from the lake, so bring a vehicle w/ some clearance (nothing TOO extreme necessary). The trail itself is a simple look that tends to hug the lake shore. The water is crystal clear; if you keep an eye on the water you'll often see schooling 15"+ cutthroats cruising for food. This hike isn't a very closely guarded secret, so don't expect to have the lake to yourself.

Final thought, you can swim here, but even in early August, the water is FRIGID cold! But it's great for cooling off after hiking Sacajawea! :-)

Sunday, September 01, 2013

It's worth the drive going to Fairy Lake. The trail along the lake is pretty short and level and have a beautiful all around. Great place to hike with your families and swim afterwards. Camera would be very handy to capture the beauty of the place.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Wow, what an amazing place. My girlfriend and I just went up with the dogs for the first time over the weekend. Everyone enjoyed swimming in this beautiful, crystal clear lake and you can't get much better scenery. We definitely plan on coming back. The road up was not as bad as some people led us to believe (we were in a Chevy Malibu), although a high clearance vehicle would be preferable. We also stayed at the nearby campground which was free and offered great views as well.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Friday, July 19, 2013

Don't miss this one! The views are breathtaking. Good hot day hike, lots of tree cover as you walk around the lake. Good places to go into the water which will definitely cool you off. My dogs love the swimming also.

Sunday, July 07, 2013

This is an easy hike around a beautiful small lake. I saw one woman wearing rubber thongs. My GPS measured it as .80 mile, not 1.2. Be sure to bring bug spray for the biting flies, but it is well worth the trip. It was a beautiful drive to the trail, 23 miles of paved road from I-90 and 7th St.and then an additional 6 miles of dirt rd to the Trailhead. You don't need 4X, but a high clearance vehicle is recommended. The wild flowers off of the road in early July were amazing.

Monday, March 11, 2013

I love this place! I have been going to Fairy Lake and wandering the trail since I was a little one. The trail is easy for anyone, little tike to grandmother, and offers wonderful views. The lake is very clear and picturesque. There is also a nice little picnic area above the lake to enjoy a nice summer picnic.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

This is a beautiful walk suitable for all ages. Fairy Lake is such a picturesque scene, absolutely pristine wilderness at its best! I would recommend this to everyone!