East Rosebud Trail to Elk Lake

East Rosebud Trail to Elk Lake is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well maintained trail system and beautiful views. We only went to the falls this trip but I have packed into Rainbow Lake in the past and found it and Elk Lake well worth the climb.

Breathtaking views from the beginning to the end ! It was so Beautiful, and We were very happy that our friend recommended this hike . The hike wasn’t very difficult, but bring a hat and sunscreen as there aren’t many shaded area till Elk lake. It became very hot at high 80’s (July 10th).

Awesome hike, loved the scenery all the way through. The lake is hard to find a private area to sit around, we wandered for a bit to find an awesome rock accessible to have lunch on. Pretty easy for all skill types!

Beautiful hike, the views are incredible. A lot of people were just hiking up to the falls which was impressive going to the lake is worth it though. Of the 10 or so dogs on the trail only ours and one other was leashed. Even the ranger that checked our fishing licenses had an unleashed dog, just something to be aware of.

What a great hike with amazing views all around! We went May 8th and there was still some snow on the ground, but not too much to stop us. I was visiting from Philly and it was the most beautiful picturesque Montana day!

An easy going trail with incredible views, and we didn’t even make it to Elk lake! After fighting the snow for about a mile we decided to save it for another day when the snow had melted. Will definitely be back

Even though this one is rated easy, there were some spots that were tough for me. I will definitely try this one again being more physically fit, but it was worth every bit! Beautiful scenery and lake was breathtaking at the end!

Beyond gorgeous hike!! The views were amazing. There was a fair amount of snow today for the last 3/4 of a mile to the lake. With the seasons changing, hiking boots and warm socks are recommended. Sneakers might not cut it!

Such a great hike. Incredibly beautiful and a wonderful was to spend 2-3 hours. Great spots for photos. It's uphill to the lake but it's pretty gradual and not difficult. Trail is well maintained. The road going in used to be rough but it was graded and is now a breeze.

Hike here or die knowing you missed out. The most beautiful trail from beginning to end, with very little difficulty.

Beautiful. Felt so good to soak our feet in the gorgeous lake.

One of the most beautiful hikes you will ever go on. Just loved it.
Gravel road to get there. Trail well marked easy to follow. Anyone in decent shape can do. Being bear bells and or spray.
We went to the far end of the lake, 8 mile round trip. Elevation not difficult, flatlanders can do.
It was stunning and remote and perfect. We saw no other people the whole time.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Really pretty hike, not very difficult so great for a day hike! Differing views along the way! Over spring break I tried to hike it but a mile away from the lake we couldn't get past the snow. Would recommend only in summer unless you have snowshoes!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Lovely hike. Very diverse terrain, and the lake is breathtaking. ♡

Sunday, June 18, 2017

For a shorter hike this is by far my favorite. The views are stunning and always the possibility to see wildlife. The road going out to Rosebud lake is precarious at times and slow cautious driving is recommended; my 2wd car did make it out there however. Highly recommend for a day hike!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Easy hike with a lot of wildlife along the way.
Will continue to come back.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Awesome hike. Easy. There were parts of the road that were rough but I've been on many worse. Several mentioned seeing moose but we didn't see any.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! Will definitely be doing again!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great short easy hike with very scenic views! I didn't see much wildlife, but the waterfalls and the lakes were amazing enough. A must do for Montana hikes! If you can walk through the mall for a few hours, then this hike will be easy and totally worth it!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Dirt road to the trailhead was well groomed, easy access. Nice easy trail, gorgeous lake, saw a couple of moose on the lake.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Hiked this trail with my 4 and 6 year old with minimal whining! They loved the lake... So clear and fun to play in. Worst part of the whole trip was E Rosebud Lake Road... That has to be one of the worst roads to drive on! Other than that beautiful hike, easy enough for young kids... It did get a little long for them but they were very pleased they didn't give up!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

This was a nice trail, with wild raspberries & huckleberries along the way. The highlight for me was seeing two moose about a mile up the trail. We stopped at a lookout rock to look over the lake & they were just emerging from the pines at the lake's edge.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great hike, easy to moderate.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fun hike. My husband and I took our 12, 6, and 4 year olds, and even though it was a bit longer than I originally thought, the kids did great!! Elk Lake was beautiful...and cold. :)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great day hike, brought the kids. A four year old did it and did great. Road is rough going in but worth it!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A rare gem of a hike with beautiful views that make you stop and just enjoy what is out there. Easy trail to the lake with opportunities to continue on for plenty of other lakes and hidden treasures (grasshopper glacier). Hiking, camping, fishing, waterfall, has it all!

Monday, June 20, 2016

Beautiful hike. Very doable, especially the trip back. Breathtaking views throughout.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This trail made for a wonderful day hike. The whole hike (to elk lake) takes about 2 hours and you have amazing views the whole way. We saw a moose with two babies at the lake too which was very cool. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a fairy easy day hike!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Great! Saw a mama moose with two calves!