East Rosebud Trail to Elk Lake via the Beaten Path

East Rosebud Trail to Elk Lake via the Beaten Path is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

For a shorter hike this is by far my favorite. The views are stunning and always the possibility to see wildlife. The road going out to Rosebud lake is precarious at times and slow cautious driving is recommended; my 2wd car did make it out there however. Highly recommend for a day hike!

Easy hike with a lot of wildlife along the way.
Will continue to come back.

Awesome hike. Easy. There were parts of the road that were rough but I've been on many worse. Several mentioned seeing moose but we didn't see any.

Absolutely beautiful! Will definitely be doing again!

Great short easy hike with very scenic views! I didn't see much wildlife, but the waterfalls and the lakes were amazing enough. A must do for Montana hikes! If you can walk through the mall for a few hours, then this hike will be easy and totally worth it!

Dirt road to the trailhead was well groomed, easy access. Nice easy trail, gorgeous lake, saw a couple of moose on the lake.

Hiked this trail with my 4 and 6 year old with minimal whining! They loved the lake... So clear and fun to play in. Worst part of the whole trip was E Rosebud Lake Road... That has to be one of the worst roads to drive on! Other than that beautiful hike, easy enough for young kids... It did get a little long for them but they were very pleased they didn't give up!

This was a nice trail, with wild raspberries & huckleberries along the way. The highlight for me was seeing two moose about a mile up the trail. We stopped at a lookout rock to look over the lake & they were just emerging from the pines at the lake's edge.

Great hike, easy to moderate.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fun hike. My husband and I took our 12, 6, and 4 year olds, and even though it was a bit longer than I originally thought, the kids did great!! Elk Lake was beautiful...and cold. :)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great day hike, brought the kids. A four year old did it and did great. Road is rough going in but worth it!