Devils Glen

Devils Glen is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Augusta, Montana that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, nice trail, easy, incredible scenery. the Dearborn was running very high and fast, wildflowers are blooming, really stunning. The trail continues past Devil's Glen to the divide, so you can hike as long or as far suites you.

I JUST came back from this and loved every minute of t!!!!

This is a great trail but the 434 North from 200 is closed currently. Also, the Dearborn Canyon RD is closed at the 434 junction. For now, the trailhead is inaccessible.

Went there June 2nd, 2018 and we did not run into any mud or snow. Many beautiful wildflowers along the way, with many shaded areas. The river was high, and there were only a few other hikers. We went later in the day (around 3pm) and finished the hike by 6:30pm. It’s a 7 mile hike but it’s easy.

Went on Memorial Day weekend. 434 from Wolf Creek was a rutted, muddy mess in one section - my Subaru barely made it through and we saw a pickup that was stuck. Went back to i-15 on 287 and that road was much better. Anyway, the trailhead (just past the Bible school) was very clearly labeled and had a nice parking area as well as a pit toilet. The first mile or so was just a trail next to the private road. After the bridge the trail gets much more beautiful! I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't see the water through most of the trail, but there were several spur trails for better viewing. We had to cross two small streams, so we were glad to have good hiking boots and poles. Shortly after crossing into the Scapegoat Wilderness, there's a campsite and then a trail that leads down to the left to the devil's glen. The river was really high and fast at this time of year, but I bet it would be swimmable later in the summer. We came back and had our picnic at the campsite (tons of lovely wildflowers!), then made it back to our car. Our six-year-old daughter and one-year-old dog both enjoyed this easy hike.

So I think this should be rated “Montana Easy”. I like to think I’m more than average fit but I had a bit of difficulty with the ups and downs. Although... this was our first hike of the season, still some snow on the ground but very warm weather! So maybe it’s just that first hike to set the pace. It’s very beautiful out here and seeing the high rushing river was great. It’s dog and kid friendly (which of whom made the trail look easy peasy haha) and great spots to swim or soak your feet in.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Great trail! Serious bear country. The swim holes are gorgeous but you'll have to look for them and hike down a small easy incline to get to them. There is a private gate which was closed, meaning you'll have to walk in about a mile on the trail before getting to where this hike says 5.7 miles. If the gate is locked, be prepared to hike about 8 miles round trip if you want to follow this map.

Monday, June 26, 2017

This was a wonderful experience to get in touch with Jehovah's marvelous creation! Hiked back with my wife and 6 year old daughter and we had a blast! There were plenty of photo opportunities and even a chance to swim. How invigorating! Will definitely suggest this trek to friends and family.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Nice easy hike. Saw bear tracks so take bear spray.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

how do u get to water? Seems like u go up away from water?

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Beautiful views and a nice, easy hike. First 1.8 miles is on private property. When we went over Memorial Day weekend, there was no snow but the Dearborn and the streams/waterfalls were quite high and blown out. If you intend to hike past Devil's Glen, you will need to jump some waterfalls and we had to take our boots off and wade through Milky Stream. Overall beautiful hike that is not very challenging with some great views of the Dearborn!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Incredible scenery starting from roughly a mile in. If you can plan this trip on a sunny day you should as the water turns a vibrant bright blue when the sun is hitting it. Roughly a mile after crossing the bridge there is a small spur trail that leads you to a 150ft tall cliff overlooking a narrow canyon and small turbulent waterfall which was hands down the coolest thing we found. Definitely worth checking out.

Friday, February 17, 2017

I haven't done the complete trail as we stopped to cliff jump but gorgeous water. Traversing down to the water though is difficult.

Monday, October 03, 2016

great trail

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Stop and take a peak at the water below to your left as much as possible, the views are great and you catch some amazing unexpected glimpses through the trees. Stop at the camp grounds and sit aloft a nice flat rock providing amazing views above and below. If you continue on, the terrain begins to vary- reminded me of something out of Lord of the Rings ! So surreal and beautiful. Of course going on October 1st made for some great leaf color changing action as well.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Today it was 90* outside and I had to work this morning so I didn't get on the trail until noon. The trail travels through private property and parallels a dirt road for most of the private section. This trail is well used! I decided to nickname it The Dearborn Highway. For some distance it is a narrow two track. There are a couple of areas that look like well used camping areas. When I arrived at Devils Glenn, I just wanted to jump in and go for a swim in the deep clear swirling pools. Being that I was hiking farther in I opted out.

Monday, July 04, 2016

A easy portal into the Scapegoat Wilderness. The trail is gentle and keeps you close to the Dearborn for the entire hike.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Beautiful hike and got a lot better as it got closer to the water. We found a nice little hole to jump in. Water was crystal clear and a bit cold, but the dogs sure loved it!

Monday, June 20, 2016

very beautiful such amazing views....the water was gorgeous but we couldn't figure out how to get down to water.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Good easy hike, long distance. Beautiful sights but not as pretty as Glacier Park. Some wildlife along the trail, remember to clap (griz country). A lot of streams block the trail so don't be afraid to get your feet wet.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Great hike, not terribly challenging. Beautiful views after the first two miles. Definitely griz country!

Monday, March 14, 2016

Beautiful scenery. This hike, without being difficult, takes you above the Dearborn River and all the way down to the waters edge at many points. It's incredible to see the crystal clear deep pools formed over hundreds of decades by the rushing water in spring.

Friday, December 04, 2015

This is one of my favorites hikes that I do every year. It is very easy and the scenery and geological sights are wonderful. In the summer there is a decent amount of foot traffic as well as horse traffic. The trail starts at the end of the dirt road, where there is a small parking area for hikers and trail riders.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

This was an easy beautiful trail, we started on the Dearborn River Trail and went all the way into the Scapegoat. The water is so beautiful and the views were wonderful.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Wonderful hike. Not very difficult. I went on a cool day but generally it is hot during the summer.

Friday, May 15, 2015

One of the most beautiful trails I've ever had the privilege to hike. As well as having a beautiful view, the Deerborn River is an awesome fishing spot. The largest fish was a 26 in. cutthroat trout.

scenic driving
Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I couldn't find the trailhead. Made it all the way to what seemed like the end of the gravel road where there was a Bible Camp or something. At least it was a nice drive with some scenery

Monday, May 26, 2014

What a great easy hike. The first two miles are dull but then the scenery becomes beautiful. Bring a swimsuit and go rock jumping into the river once you make it to the glen.

Friday, May 11, 2012

We actually came out of the Scapegoat on Devil's Glen trail. It is perhaps one of the most scenic and beautiful trails to enter the Bob Marshall. When you enter, the first mile or so is on a trail parallel to a private road. You then cross an impressive walking bridge and enter into the Dearborn river basin. You see Steamboat Mountain right in front of you.
The trail turns southwest as you walk past waterfall after waterfall. The forest is moist and green with beautiful coverage from the lodgepole pines. Devil's glen is a water feature where the Dearborn river has carved a path thru an impressive canyon with breathtaking falls and cold water. It looks like a fantastic place for class 3 or 4 rapid with a kayak.
The trail is used by outfitters and we saw a camp set up not far past the west fork of the Dearborn. The people were so very friendly and gave us fresh oranges and lemonade. They were the only people we saw for 3 days and it was good to sit with them.