Dearborn 206 is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Augusta, Montana that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 659 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Very nice trail. Only muddy in a few spots. I recommend turning off to the left at the end to go down to the river. You could record an epic white noise soundtrack down there.

We traveled this trail yesterday. It was mostly dry with a few muddy spots. We were with a 9-year-old and a 13-year-old and they both did well walking. We went in 4 miles and turned around. It was a pretty hike with lots of views of the river and mountains.

The trail isn't mentioned as being Devil's Glen anywhere so it's misleading to get to. The trail is parallel to the private road for a bit until you cross over towards the bridge. There's a fork that'll take you down to the river. The trail itself had gorgeous views! Part of the trail is flooded this time of year with the snowmelt but it's not by much and it's easy to walk through.

Hiked this trail about a month ago, most of it was clear of snow about 4 miles back it got pretty bad and was challenging without snowshoes. still a large majority of this trail is open for use. enjoy and watch for Grizzly.

Great fall hike before covered with snow. The sign stated it's the Dearborn trailhead site so not sure where the Devil's Glenn trail is at for this coordinate. The first part of the trail runs parallel with a private road as well as goes through private land so make sure to stay on the trail. once you hit the bridge crossing the river, it starts gradually climbing in altitude. I had bear spray on hand as it has many curves and narrow spots on the trail, overall nice and wide as it's a popular trail for horseback riding as well. Great views of the mountains and river. I stopped and headed back once I made it to the Lewis and Clark national Forest sign. Will be back as their was another trail head 3/4 mile prior to this one that had a waterfall trail included.

This hike was AMAZING! I’d score it easy and there aren’t too many changes in elevation and the trail itself is pretty easy with only a couple spots with loose rocks. The horse flies to horrible though. I didn’t actually see anything labeled Devils Glen, the trail sign said Dearborn Trail 206. The water hole is about 3 miles in, the trail forks and to the left is an open field, you go that way to climb down to the hole. The water is ice cold though, so good luck getting in it. I’d recommend this trail, absolutely beautiful! We saw 4-5 other groups of hikers. We went the last week in July in the morning so we were done by 2ish with lots of photo breaks and had lunch at the water hole

private property

You have to drive quite a few miles down a gravel road to get to this trail. The trail head parking is right past a bible camp. I hiked a total of 7 miles and never saw a sign that labeled anything as “Devils Glen.” It seems there is no specific turnaround point and you could hike for miles until you reach other connecting trails. The views were always changing and always phenomenal and the river was absolutely stunning. I saw a small black bear, some unusually tame deer, and a handful of other hikers. I would love to return to camp in some of the designated spots along the trail.

We passed a lot of people on this trail who thought they were going the wrong way or were on the wrong trail. I think the variety of descriptions online has confused people. The impression is that this hike is at the river, but actually, the trail is up higher along the edges of the mountains. As you hike, you will occasionally catch a glimpse of the river, but you would have to climb down some very steep embankments to get there. That is, until you hike about three miles (from the parking lot) and come upon an open camping area. From there, it's easy to reach the river and some excellent swimming holes. And while it's "easy" as opposed to many of the mountain hikes in the area, it's not a simple stroll. It's a hike with some elevation gain on exposed wilderness trails. You should be prepared and bring plenty of water, snacks, and bear spray. It's well worth it!

I ended up on this trail farther than what’s usually reviewed. The “easy” rating is based on the 2.5 mile hike to the lower end of Devil’s Glen. I did a 10-mile hike (out and back to parking lot) and didn’t even get to the end of the trail. If you stay on the trail for the longer hike: make plans based on a moderate-to-difficult score, bring 3 to 4 liters of water, and bring a trekking pole. The scenery is beautiful and diverse. You’ll hike through shaded forest areas and desert-like areas with rocky hillsides. The views of the canyon and river are gorgeous, and there are a few areas to get off path and down to the water. There is a stunning (day)camp area on the river about 5 miles into the hike (from the parking lot). On my return leg, I ended up face to face with a black bear. This occurred around 1615L on the connector path (from the parking lot to the trail head, along the private road) about 50 feet from the parking lot. He was about 10-15 feet in front of me on the path. I didn’t even know he was there until I unknowingly startled him and he hurried into the median between the path and the road. After a moment he was curious and peeped out of the median at me. I just played it chill, stayed calm and in place with my bear spray in hand, letting it play out to see what his move would be. There were a couple of exciting moments, but he ended up crossing the road and all was fine. It was a neat experience for sure! *Just remember not to let your exhaustion get your guard down, even when basically at the end of the trail, not all bear encounters are this easy.

Very beautiful easy hike. The actual beginning of the trail head is well marked, but it's 1 mile before the app. shows. So the total hike is around 7 miles.

private property

This was a very nice trail, though it is rocky so make sure you are wearing sturdy shoes. One thing to note is that you have to begin the trail at the Dearborn trailhead. The directions from the app lead down a closed road on private property.

private property

We hiked this today, myself 40, husband 50 and our kids ranging from 5-10. Our Bob Marshall hiking guide rates this as "moderate" which we feel is a better gauge when you are from the bridge on up. Even though we are very out of shape it's a fair amount of up down rocks, roots and drop offs to deal with. We carried in 2 liters each and the kids each had 1 liter which was just enough. We went as far as the meadow where you can go to end of and find a little trail that easily gets you to the river to wade around. I had it about 2.5 miles in. Nothing much different to report other than what everyone else has stated. We frequently crossed paths with other hikers, kids and dogs. Signs of horses having been on trail. We did find a Geocache as well if you are into that our kids love it.

Absolutely gorgeous. About 7 miles total from parking area. Rare orchids growing beside trail in first mile. STUNNING riverside stop at end of the trail.... to left, downhill once you hit the3.5 mile mark. Good spot to take of boots, dip your feet in the icy water, and take in the spectacular scenery. Anyone can do this hike. My husband and I (in our 30s) completed it with my parents (in their late 60s) with our 11 yr old pug. Elevation gain is minimal and there’s a nice mix of shaded and sunny areas on the trail. Beautiful scenery though. Try it!!!

This trail was amazingly beautiful!! We accidentally went about 1.5 miles passed where we meant to do an extra 3 miles total. Definitely a “Montana Easy” - not for beginners. Lots of rocks in certain places and pretty steep cliffs on the side of the trail. However it is worth the walk because the water is insanely clear, blue, green, and yellow. Almost like the Yellowstone hot springs. Super deep but you can see all the way down. Very pretty! There is a point where you have the option to take another trail down to some rocks on the river. Do it!! It’s a lovely resting place and the water feels great on sore, hot feet. 10/10 would recommend this hike for anyone who has done at least one hike before!

ohhhhh the views!!!!

Mon May 20 2019

What is the smoke/fire status in the area now?? is it safe for hiking?

Sun Aug 05 2018

Great hike, nice trail, easy, incredible scenery. the Dearborn was running very high and fast, wildflowers are blooming, really stunning. The trail continues past Devil's Glen to the divide, so you can hike as long or as far suites you.

Mon Jul 30 2018

I JUST came back from this and loved every minute of t!!!!

Wed Jul 25 2018

This is a great trail but the 434 North from 200 is closed currently. Also, the Dearborn Canyon RD is closed at the 434 junction. For now, the trailhead is inaccessible.

Sun Jun 03 2018

Went there June 2nd, 2018 and we did not run into any mud or snow. Many beautiful wildflowers along the way, with many shaded areas. The river was high, and there were only a few other hikers. We went later in the day (around 3pm) and finished the hike by 6:30pm. It’s a 7 mile hike but it’s easy.

Sun May 27 2018

Went on Memorial Day weekend. 434 from Wolf Creek was a rutted, muddy mess in one section - my Subaru barely made it through and we saw a pickup that was stuck. Went back to i-15 on 287 and that road was much better. Anyway, the trailhead (just past the Bible school) was very clearly labeled and had a nice parking area as well as a pit toilet. The first mile or so was just a trail next to the private road. After the bridge the trail gets much more beautiful! I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't see the water through most of the trail, but there were several spur trails for better viewing. We had to cross two small streams, so we were glad to have good hiking boots and poles. Shortly after crossing into the Scapegoat Wilderness, there's a campsite and then a trail that leads down to the left to the devil's glen. The river was really high and fast at this time of year, but I bet it would be swimmable later in the summer. We came back and had our picnic at the campsite (tons of lovely wildflowers!), then made it back to our car. Our six-year-old daughter and one-year-old dog both enjoyed this easy hike.

Sat Apr 28 2018

So I think this should be rated “Montana Easy”. I like to think I’m more than average fit but I had a bit of difficulty with the ups and downs. Although... this was our first hike of the season, still some snow on the ground but very warm weather! So maybe it’s just that first hike to set the pace. It’s very beautiful out here and seeing the high rushing river was great. It’s dog and kid friendly (which of whom made the trail look easy peasy haha) and great spots to swim or soak your feet in.

Thu Jul 20 2017

Great trail! Serious bear country. The swim holes are gorgeous but you'll have to look for them and hike down a small easy incline to get to them. There is a private gate which was closed, meaning you'll have to walk in about a mile on the trail before getting to where this hike says 5.7 miles. If the gate is locked, be prepared to hike about 8 miles round trip if you want to follow this map.

Mon Jun 26 2017

This was a wonderful experience to get in touch with Jehovah's marvelous creation! Hiked back with my wife and 6 year old daughter and we had a blast! There were plenty of photo opportunities and even a chance to swim. How invigorating! Will definitely suggest this trek to friends and family.