Dearborn 206 is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Augusta, Montana that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length6.1 miElevation gain659 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (87)
Recordings (52)
Completed (176)
John Reiland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 3, 2021
HikingIcyPrivate propertyRockySnow

Nice mostly well maintained. Parallels a private drive the ~1.5 miles then breaks away and across the creek. Pretty nice hike after that. Some packed snow, icy areas and large loose rock. Very good views in several areas. Will do it again in nicer weather, it was very windy on January 2nd but a hike in January without snowshoes was nice.

Heidi Fairhurst
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail, no bears. Easy hike

View Heidi's Recording
Bradley Rushton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

I won’t hike it again. I thought it was closer to the water throughout the hike. You don’t really get to the water for three miles. The pictures and descriptions are misleading. We did see one near on the drive in. But it was eight miles from where the trail begins. It is Very Pretty here. So it got that going for it. Which is nice !

View Bradley's Recording
Kelly Rye
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!Private propertyRocky

Brought our two kids (7 & 10) and dog along for this one! Started around 12:30 and were back at the car by 4. (We're slow :) It was a beautiful hike! The water was amazingly clear and the views were stunning. The trail is well maintained though it would cause trouble for those with mobility issues. Lots of roots and rocks to navigate. We didn't see a bear but we spooked something pretty big in the woods. We made it's habit of saying "hey bear!" everytime we got into thicker patches. There were several dogs off leash but all were friendly. Something to keep in mind though if you're bringing yours. The first water access comes right after you pass the Scapegoat Wilderness sign. There's a small trail that leads down to the water. It's on the steeper side—my 7yo and I didn't go down it but my husband and 10yo did. We'd definitely go back!

Amanda Kirkham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

This is a nice trail and really starts after about two miles from parking lot. I did not complete the entire trail due to it getting late out; however, it was mild compared to other trails in MT with more elevation gain. The river / canyon views are beautiful (just the drive to the trailhead from Augusta is pretty!). Saw plenty of deer and be careful as there is plenty of thicker brush / growth for bears to be in - especially during evenings when animals like coming out. Take water, bear spray, and should be good to go!

Stacey Hughes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is a nice trail. Would be great for trail running. Easy - My husband and I hiked it with our two children (14, 8). You don’t actually hike within reachable distance to the Dearborn until after about 2 miles in - when you hit the forest service boundary. The river is beautiful. This hike was once referred to as Devils Glen.

Bill-Cheryl Keelan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

my wife and really enjoyed this moderate trail. We started with a temp of 58 and ended with a temp of 83. It had quite a bit of shade. the views of the canyon and the big creek running through it were awesome. Definitely a family friendly hike.

Jennifer Garner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingBugs

The trail was pretty easy for the most part. We went end of July and there were tons of horseflies that kept swarmingus and biting. Scenery was beautiful

View Jennifer's Recording
Shea Lundquist
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail, I went there about 4 years ago and loved it so much I had to go back! The river is so clear! We did see a black bear and her cubs so definitely bring bear spray! We stayed away and she didn’t bother us. This is one of my favorite hikes!

Mark Silverstein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

I expected more. The River was pretty yet we did not get by it very much. The valley was very nice.

View Mark's Recording
Sarah Miles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020

Beautiful trail! Well maintained, I would rate it as easy. Not alot of hills pretty flat but amazing views

Abby Anne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingMuddyPrivate propertyRocky

Not for beginners, lots of ups and downs. Very beautiful, this hike has it all open meadows, forest, creeks, rolling Montana tops, and the water is incredible! I’m hiking all over Montana right now to add destination elopements to my business and this is a great hike. Just remember it does Aline next to private property so stay the coarse and be bear aware! An elderly couple told me they spotted one a little bit before the trail head... so they are out there.

View Abby's Recording
Jordan Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
HikingPrivate property

Very nice trail. Only muddy in a few spots. I recommend turning off to the left at the end to go down to the river. You could record an epic white noise soundtrack down there.

View Jordan's Recording
Noah Uehling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2020
Hiking

We traveled this trail yesterday. It was mostly dry with a few muddy spots. We were with a 9-year-old and a 13-year-old and they both did well walking. We went in 4 miles and turned around. It was a pretty hike with lots of views of the river and mountains.

Caitlin Longhofer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 4, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

The trail isn't mentioned as being Devil's Glen anywhere so it's misleading to get to. The trail is parallel to the private road for a bit until you cross over towards the bridge. There's a fork that'll take you down to the river. The trail itself had gorgeous views! Part of the trail is flooded this time of year with the snowmelt but it's not by much and it's easy to walk through.

Zane Lemons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2020
Snow

Hiked this trail about a month ago, most of it was clear of snow about 4 miles back it got pretty bad and was challenging without snowshoes. still a large majority of this trail is open for use. enjoy and watch for Grizzly.

Kayla Frye
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2019
Hiking

Great fall hike before covered with snow. The sign stated it's the Dearborn trailhead site so not sure where the Devil's Glenn trail is at for this coordinate. The first part of the trail runs parallel with a private road as well as goes through private land so make sure to stay on the trail. once you hit the bridge crossing the river, it starts gradually climbing in altitude. I had bear spray on hand as it has many curves and narrow spots on the trail, overall nice and wide as it's a popular trail for horseback riding as well. Great views of the mountains and river. I stopped and headed back once I made it to the Lewis and Clark national Forest sign. Will be back as their was another trail head 3/4 mile prior to this one that had a waterfall trail included.

Jill Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2019
HikingBugs

This hike was AMAZING! I’d score it easy and there aren’t too many changes in elevation and the trail itself is pretty easy with only a couple spots with loose rocks. The horse flies to horrible though. I didn’t actually see anything labeled Devils Glen, the trail sign said Dearborn Trail 206. The water hole is about 3 miles in, the trail forks and to the left is an open field, you go that way to climb down to the hole. The water is ice cold though, so good luck getting in it. I’d recommend this trail, absolutely beautiful! We saw 4-5 other groups of hikers. We went the last week in July in the morning so we were done by 2ish with lots of photo breaks and had lunch at the water hole

Therese Holm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2019
HikingPrivate property

You have to drive quite a few miles down a gravel road to get to this trail. The trail head parking is right past a bible camp. I hiked a total of 7 miles and never saw a sign that labeled anything as “Devils Glen.” It seems there is no specific turnaround point and you could hike for miles until you reach other connecting trails. The views were always changing and always phenomenal and the river was absolutely stunning. I saw a small black bear, some unusually tame deer, and a handful of other hikers. I would love to return to camp in some of the designated spots along the trail.

Kristy Riseden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
Hiking

I ended up on this trail farther than what’s usually reviewed. The “easy” rating is based on the 2.5 mile hike to the lower end of Devil’s Glen. I did a 10-mile hike (out and back to parking lot) and didn’t even get to the end of the trail. If you stay on the trail for the longer hike: make plans based on a moderate-to-difficult score, bring 3 to 4 liters of water, and bring a trekking pole. The scenery is beautiful and diverse. You’ll hike through shaded forest areas and desert-like areas with rocky hillsides. The views of the canyon and river are gorgeous, and there are a few areas to get off path and down to the water. There is a stunning (day)camp area on the river about 5 miles into the hike (from the parking lot). On my return leg, I ended up face to face with a black bear. This occurred around 1615L on the connector path (from the parking lot to the trail head, along the private road) about 50 feet from the parking lot. He was about 10-15 feet in front of me on the path. I didn’t even know he was there until I unknowingly startled him and he hurried into the median between the path and the road. After a moment he was curious and peeped out of the median at me. I just played it chill, stayed calm and in place with my bear spray in hand, letting it play out to see what his move would be. There were a couple of exciting moments, but he ended up crossing the road and all was fine. It was a neat experience for sure! *Just remember not to let your exhaustion get your guard down, even when basically at the end of the trail, not all bear encounters are this easy.

View Kristy's Recording
Geoff Groshelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

Very beautiful easy hike. The actual beginning of the trail head is well marked, but it's 1 mile before the app. shows. So the total hike is around 7 miles.

View Geoff 's Recording
Alexa Colton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2019
HikingPrivate propertyRocky

This was a very nice trail, though it is rocky so make sure you are wearing sturdy shoes. One thing to note is that you have to begin the trail at the Dearborn trailhead. The directions from the app lead down a closed road on private property.