Danny On National Recreation Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(202)
Flathead National Forest

Danny On National Recreation Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Whitefish, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,034 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Great trail that is typically used for mountain biking. We came in Mid-May and it was too snowy still so had to detour off the trail and stop about 1000ft short of the summit.

Just did this trail on 10/10. Loved it. Would love to do it in the summer. Took me 2.5 hrs to get up and less than 1.5 to get down. Winter came early, with 4-6 in snow on the second half. Definitely more steep in second half. Very well marked.

Completed this hike on 9/21/19, we opted to hike up the trail, challenging in a few places but lots of recovery time crossing the ski slopes. The fall colors were amazing, and there were tons of huckleberries! Great views at the top, and we opted to take a gondola down which was very enjoyable.

Still plenty of Huckleberry picking the further you hike. Colors are changing quickly. Absolutely beautiful hike.

We took the chairlift up. 10$ each. Beautiful views and well marked trails. We hiked Danny On and Flower point trail. It took us 4 hours in all but we could have done it quicker if not distracted by the abundant , delicious huckleberries. What a treat!

We rode the chairlift up and walked down. Great morning. Top was in the fog but it burned off quick. Easy stroll down. Lots of wildflowers left and a ton of huckleberries all the way down.

recommend adding flower point for the full experience! bring extra water for dogs if start late as there were several long patches in sunshine where my dog was getting pretty hot... no technical sections - just a nice walk uphill with only a couple of leg burning sections..

Beautiful hike up Danny On to Flower Point then on to the Summit. This track is one way- uphill.

I would rate this as moderately hard, not extremely hard for this 60 year old hiker. Lots of nice shaded forest, small streams with bridges so no water crossings beautiful wildflowers and lots of green. Well marked trail, lots of signs. The trail goes up Big Mountain across ski trails and under chair lifts at the Whitefish Ski Resort. Took 2.5 hrs up and 1.5 coming back down. Loved it!

Great hike! Beautiful views of the valley, late-summer wildflowers and of Glacier's mountains in the distance. At our pace the hike would have taken about 1.5-2 hours, but we couldn't help filling a water bottle with huckleberries - they were everywhere! No need to even venture off the trail for the sweet snack, the bushes lined the path. Very well-maintained trail, lots of visible markers and moderately graded, making for a casual afternoon trek. We ended up grabbing a beer at the summit bar and taking the chairlift down for $10. A perfect day.

Beautiful hike , steeper as you get up higher. It also cools off at the to, bring a jacket. Tons of huckleberry along the way. Saw a beautiful ten point elk chilling in a valley- amazing. The wild flowers were stunning. So fun!

My type of hike: Steep slog uphill, snack on wild huckleberries, grab a beer at the ski lodge at the top (I recommend Great Northern Brewing Co’s Huckleberry Lager to pair with the wild hucks) then grab the chairlift down. Recommend doing it late arvo in the summer to beat the heat. Last chairlift goes at 5.30pm

Great trail! Recommend heading out early as it gets hot as you are climbing to the top. We met several hikers who rode the chair up and were hiking down, many just taking their time to pick the huckleberries. We picked a few on our way up as well

I am not in the best shape and I completed the trail AND hiked Flower Pot. I went up and finished Danny. On the way back down I took the first sign to Flower Pot. I went up to Flower Pot Point and took in the views, then back down to finish Flower Pot, which runs into Danny. I THINK that added another 3 miles to the trail. There were many people on Danny. I started at 830am, ate lunch at the top, and finished my hike are 1530. That includes some Huckleberry picking and hiking Flower Pot. I loved this trail, but would rather do it on a weekday cause of the traffic. I did not see any wildlife. Very little water crossings; just a couple of narrow streams. I guess because it's August.

Great trail that goes through fields of huckleberry and wildflowers. Fairly steep ascent but well worth it with the awesome views you’ll see.Trail ends at a restaurant/bar on top that’s a perfect ending to your hike. A fun chair lift down is also worth it, or one can hike it.

Nice hike, well traveled. Can ride gondola down if you want to go one way. It was a little over 4 miles. Pretty wildflowers. Not much wildlife.

Only did half the trail bc lack of time but it was beautiful with fantastic wildflowers!!!

This is a really great hike, went up yesterday morning around 7 am, and it was so peaceful! This hike is up a ski mountain so be forewarned it is pretty straight up and down. I recommend going early in the morning before the trial gets too crowded and toasty outside. This hike is 7.2 there and back, but you can also go to the top and get a beer at the summit house and go down the ski lift. The wildflowers at so amazing and there are some excellent places to pick huckleberries (please make sure you know what you are picking be for eating).

Amazing hike! The view from the top into Glacier is definitely worth it.

Great hike, nice uphill grind. Beautiful views!

Great hike down after lift ride up

Very beautiful and well marked. Tried to run it on the way up but only ended up running half. Way down was a fun run.

Amazing views, beautiful wildflowers, steep but manageable, clear path. Excellent!!!

I guess the distance and a few steep-ish areas make this difficult. We had a great hike up. Flowers were beautiful, grasses were high and healthy. Great views although summit was too cloudy. I highly recommend.

Trail was in great shape. Nice views. Only drawback to me is that it's just a hike up a ski hill. Fairly busy.

Lots of wildflowers including bear grass, lupine, Indian paintbrush, harebells and more.

Road up on ski lift and hiked down. Not overly steep for going downhill. Met lots of hikers coming up and the trail is a bit narrow for passing in some points. Great views along the way and lots of wild flowers.

The ratings of hard is true. 1st half views on the mountain were great. The second half not as good, just a fun grind. Was amazing walking in 70 degree weather and touching the snow starting the last mile if the trail to the top.

Definitely a fun hike! Hiked up, took the Flower Point Trail which loops around and connects back up with the Danny On Trail. Beautiful views of the Flathead Valley and Glacier Park. Rode the chairlift down. Great hike!