Crystal Lake Trail

Crystal Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile out and back trail located near Saint Regis, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We had a great time! The hike was much steeper than I thought it would be and had wished I brought my polls (for the decline especially). The alpine lake at the top is beautiful. Due to the area having soooo many wonderful hikes I probably would not hike again and would rather find a new adventure. Still a great hike!

This was a short, steep but pretty hike. The road to the trailhead is accessible. I would recommend 4-wheel drive and high clearance. I appreciated the detailed directions of fellow reviewer Daniel - thank you! I would rate this trail to be on the front-end of challenging because of a few really steep sections. I was glad I brought my trekking poles. The trail itself was cleared and well-maintained. The bugs weren't present during the hike or at the lake.

Saturday, June 02, 2018

I haven’t hiked this yet. Just an FYI for other hikers- there’s a huge downed tree blocking the road about 5 miles into the Forest Service road. Will need to be moved for the road to be passable.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

No One else on the trail which was really nice. The lake and the view of the time were worth the hike up. A few pretty waterfall spots & worth the hike up.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This was an amazing yet difficult uphill trail. The Crystal lake is worth it! The trail had many wet spots in July 1 when we went. Take plenty of water as it was really hot and we worked hard! My husband and I are fit yet in our 50s. The trial was doable but challenging. Wear good hiking boots as the downhill would be hard on the ankles. Trial is well maintained and very beautiful. Use the directions laid out below. Without those, we never would have found it!

Monday, May 22, 2017

I set out from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho this morning, bound and determined to hike to this lake, regardless of the condition of the trail. I got a flat tire on my new truck, about a mile from the trailhead. What? I only have 2600 miles on the odometer! (This is a good time to remind you to make sure you have all of the emergency gear your need in your vehicle at all times, including the equipment needed to fix a flat.) The map to this trailhead on All Trails is not entirely accurate. That said, it is close enough. Just south of Deborgia, Montana, find Deer Creek Road. It will not be signed as such! There is a small sign that says 236. Follow road 236 about 5 miles. You will pass a few divergent roads along the way. Ignore these! When 236 makes a U turn bend from south to north, there will be a wooden bridge across a creek. Cross this, and continue. There will be an old access road right after the bridge. This is NOT your trailhead. Keep going until you see the trailhead clearly marked. This trail has a steady upward track, without any flat places to mention. It goes up, up, up! Keep this in mind. On this 21st day of May, the first mile or so of the trail was free of snow, but had frequent snow melt streams running across it. I abandoned the goal of keeping my feet dry, early in the hike. The last ¼ to ½ mile of the trail was still covered in snow. It was 3-4 feet in the deepest places. Fortunately, the snow was hard packed, so I only sank in about 6 inches with each step. The pace was slow and grueling, but the lake at the top was more than enough reward. The lake was completely covered in ice, as I first approached it. Within 15 minutes, a good part of the ice along the shore had already melted. I sat and watched the ice melt. It cracked and popped as it did so. If you wish to do this hike without battling snow, I would give it another 2 or 3 weeks before you attempt it.

recorded Crystal Lake Trail